Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

shielding

Derrick1642607670

Ok I've been looking at guitar nut and some other sites and im not understanding the base of this because of all the details and crowdedness, What am I simply supposed to do? As of know im think I just buy some conductive copper tape from stewmac sheild all the guitars cavities with it and leaving a little excess to make contact with the tape covering the pickguard? is this all im going to have to do?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as the "tape covering the pickguard" is electrically conductive, and is also connected to ground (usually just by contact with lock-washers on control-pots).

Also do a thorough job of completely covering the entire surface of the area to be shielded, leaving no gaps in between pieces of the foil-tape.

If there's a whammy on your guitar, make sure that the foil-tape you add (or any on the pickguard) doesn't touch the screws or any of the bridge-hardware along the edge of the pickguard.

Why? Years ago I did this and everytime I'd use the trem, a weird rustling, rumbling noise could be plainly heard through the speakers. It took me a while to figure it out; some strange ground-loop voodoo was making it happen, it went away after I trimmed the tiny little excess that was touching the two posts for the whammy-bridge (which tightly abutted the pickguard's edge).

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/MikeSr63/Shield4.jpghttp://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/MikeSr63/Shield2.jpg

I didn't use copper tape. Bought mine from "Michael's" craft store and it comes in sheets. I used thin two sided tape inside the cavity to hold the foil in place, then sorder all the edges to make one piece. One sheet covers the pickguard. Make it trouble free, line the pot and switch are with black electrical tape, then if anything touches it does not short out. One last thing. You don't see my tabs in the picture where it contacts. That's because I sordered them on after I took the pictures. Hope this helps.

It doesn't make it silent, but it helps. If you're going to play in front of the t.v., with your computer on under floresent lights nothing will help.

If you do it yourself, it won't cost much and is worth it. If you have to pay someone $20 and hour to do it for you I wouldn't. If you're going to push serious gain, it's gonna hum brother.

Oooooooh... izzatt that stuff for making arts-and-crafts quasi-3-D bas-relief copper whatchamacallits? Seriously, I don't know what the Hell you'd call it, but they take thin, flexible copper and press designs into it, so that it almost looks like the outside of a mold of a picture?

If so, I wish I'd thought of using it for that! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

That is a nice job, Mike. I'da never thought about using that, great idea. I hunted and hunted, until I found a place that sells tape (they had hundreds and hundreds of different kinds). They sold me the leftovers of a roll of copper tape that was about 2" wide. There was plenty to do my Strat, and IIRC, they only charged me about 10 bones for it. Did a great job of quieting it down.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

My guitar tech has created a "squeeze block" for Strats, If you do enough of these shielding jobs it pays off. He first uses pattern makers bees wax sheet (.005)thick and applies this to the complete control cavity. He then takes a maple plug of wood that is almost the net shape of the entire control cavity. He then puts a molding plastic into the bees waxed cavity and squeezes the maple plug in. When it is dried or set up, he has a forming tool. He places a sheet of copper foil over the bare control cavity and forms the entire cavity in copper as one contiguous piece.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/MikeSr63/Shield4.jpghttp://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/MikeSr63/Shield2.jpg

I didn't use copper tape. Bought mine from "Michael's" craft store and it comes in sheets. I used thin two sided tape inside the cavity to hold the foil in place, then sorder all the edges to make one piece. One sheet covers the pickguard. Make it trouble free, line the pot and switch are with black electrical tape, then if anything touches it does not short out. One last thing. You don't see my tabs in the picture where it contacts. That's because I sordered them on after I took the pictures. Hope this helps.

:thu: :thu: :thu:

Nice job. All my Strats are shielded pretty much the same way and it make a big difference on the road.

Peace

Any leanght of wire can act as an antenna and pick up RF. Mostly FM. It gets a bit deep in physics but antennas are "cut" to the freq of a transmitter. Most antennas are compromises. Very often, you will find a length of unshielded wire that is the exact or close to the wave length of the radio station frequency. It becomes a receiver.

You could have a redneck down the radio with a 1000 watt unregulated linear (Transmitter) hookes to his good old boy CB and wreak havock all over the radio spectrum getting into your TV, stereo, phone and anything else that has wire and a speaker.

By grounding and shielding the electronics of the guitar you eliminate this. Sometimes finding the source is the hard part.

Some of the old tube amps were great at picking up radio stations that were close.

Peace

Is this why I was picking up a radio station through my

guitar when I played at this bowling alley last year.

YES! OR, ground/wiring problems somewhere in your signal chain, OR bad cables OR electrical supply problems in the venue itself, but the shielding in the guitar itself is one thing that can be done to remedy one problem.

Archived