Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tuner Replacement: Thoughts, comments, endorsements

Shoes

I need to replace a set of machines and have been looking about for a few weeks. They're for the LP Custom (blackie) and I saw these Sperzels and immediately thought they'd look terrific.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/pek63/Sperzel.jpg[/img]

I have no experience with these at all. 12:1 ratio std on all models (don't care for that much but could live with it)

It's a no screw install and most likely involves a drill job to open up the stem hole.

Anyway... what do you know about these or Sperzels in general. I have no experience with them at all and wondered if any of you guys have used them, trust them (trim-lock thing) Finish stability wrt:plating.

Feel free to toss out endorsements.

thanx

(I tried to search this because I know we've been here several times before but it couldn't go back far enough in time.)

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever confronted with the NEED for replacements, I go for Schallers. I haven't really needed to replace any machiness for quite a few years now.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I have Sperzels on all of my guitars.

They're hearty and sturdy. I like the way they eliminate the need for extra string winding. I can change strings quickly, get in tune and get rolling with very little effort.

On one occasion, I snapped my low "e" onstage on the only guitar I had with me at the time--my Sunburst LP. I snagged an extra string out of my bag, popped off the broken one, slid in the new one, locked it in place, gave it a quick stretch and tuned it in less than a minute. There was no slippage afterwards, either. That's the benefit of the locking pegs, I guess--no extra winding is needed to get the string all set up.

As for their action as tuners, they're tuners... they do what they need to do without complications. I think mine have been in place at least 10 years with no issues or malfunctions. They still pretty much look (and function) the same as they did when I got them installed wayyy back when.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

+100 on CMDN and Zans posts. I have them on my guitar and love em, sting changes are quick and easy and they are solid. They stay in tune.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

i love sperzels. i had several guitars with them in the past, they string fast and are staggered to eliminate the need for string trees on strats.

solid tuners.

This is also how I feel about the Sperzel tuners on my strat (my main axe of many years).

However, if your LP is still all original, no matter its vintage, I would personally try and find replacement tuners that do not require re-drilling. If you double-check and find out that the Sperzels would be a direct drop-in replacement, then I would definitely recommend them.

The only issue I've ever had with Sperzels (this is on the wife's 12 year old Carvin custom tele style guitar) was when I tried to use a big 'ol probably 56 gauge low E string for a dropped tuning, and it just plain wouldn't fit thru the hole on the tuner.

That stopped that plan dead in it's tracks.

Maybe they're making the hole bigger now though???

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Sperzels are great, well-made and smooth. Light-weight, too. But, like you, I'd be less than thrilled with that 12:1 ratio.

What tuners are on the guitar now?

A couple of alternatives worth considering might be the locking Grovers (18:1, IIRC), and the new Klusons by Tone Pros (16:1 and 15:1, depending on model), locking and standard varieties. (Tone Pros acquired the Kluson name, so they actually say "Kluson" on 'em, all period-correct.) Grovers have been on a lot of Les Pauls, and I'm sure that you know that Klusons have been on most LPs.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The only issue I've ever had with Sperzels (this is on the wife's 12 year old Carvin custom tele style guitar) was when I tried to use a big 'ol probably 56 gauge low E string for a dropped tuning, and it just plain wouldn't fit thru the hole on the tuner.

56's!!! You need one of THESE! http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/boatwinch.jpg

(Shoes- if you haven't already, see my previous post on 'page-1 of this thread -k)

Y'know what probably would've worked? To carefully remove the winding from that string, about an 1/8" to a 1/4" behind the nut (on the tuner-side), ;):) and pass the plain core of it through the tuner's post. There've been strings made that have the winding start just past the bridge-saddle, with just the core going over the saddle to the tail- so-called "piano-string" design, so I think that thios would work on the headstock-end. Whaddya think?

56's!!! You need on of THESE! http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/boatwinch.jpg

:laugh::crazy::D

OR...that had to be VERY close to the same diameter, I would just run a reamer through it untill it fit.

Yeah, that probably was close, good call.

(I've used .014" through .059" strings on my flat-top acoustic!)

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here...

I replaced the vintage tuners on a American Vintage 57RI Strat neck with Sperzels. I was building up a guitar with various parts and thought the Sperzels would be cool. After drilling out the neck so they'd fit (yes you can cringe) I was happy with their performance, but could never reconcile with the look...all that extra metal, and I did find it just as easy to restring the vintage tuners on my 52RI Tele. Personally I prefer the vintage tuners..

http://hpbimg.guitarsrecycled.com/musicmaster%20slotted%20tuner%2025pct.JPG

and can't go back without involving some woodwork.

There great tuners but you have to commit.

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Hi ya.. sorry... work, weekend, RUSH concert and tooooo much bar life.

They're the original tuners from the early 70's. Likely made by Grover... they're the gold two screw models with striped gear casing but not at all like the Kluson package. Kind of diamond shaped. A picture might help... duh.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/pek63/LPTuners.jpg[/img]

I would have very much like to have found an upgraded system in the same package but no manufacturers are remaking this style. And I don't want to drill holes... any more than I want to drill out the holes either. I already have a LP with a repaired headstock from splitting. Ugly stuff.

Hopefully the Sperzels need little adjustment to the holes that are there. Buzz was the first to mention the inevitable consequence of having a child.

This is the biggest issue I guess.

Those new Tone-Pro locking vintage models are the perfect fix for the SG! New guts in an old package with a lock. I like that.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Those various vintage-style new Klusons (by Tone Pros) might've fit the bill for ya, Darcy; they come in Fendery lollipop-button-stylees, as well, straight-up and locking...

Hi ya.. sorry... work, weekend, RUSH concert and tooooo much bar life.

Well, that all goes without saying. ;):thu::D:cool:

...not at all like the Kluson package. Kind of diamond shaped.

So, the screw-holes, and/or the tuner's post holes, don't match up at all with those of Klusons? (I know that the base-plates are shaped differently, but that's probably easily made-up for.)

Buzz was the first to mention the inevitable consequence of having a child.

Uhmn... having to commit?

Those new Tone-Pro locking vintage models are the perfect fix for the SG! New guts in an old package with a lock. I like that.

Well, that's good, at least! :D:cool:

Archived