Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Alesis Micron

Eric Jx

I while back I posted on this forum asking for advice on a low-cost second keyboard to add to my gear. I'm in an 80's cover band. A few members wrote back and suggested an Alesis Micron.

Well, I just picked up an Alesis Micron to complement my Korg O1/W.

I played a little with it last night. Noodling around with the Arp and the vocoder. It's got some really wicked sounds.

I was wondering if anybody would like to share their favorite features/trick with their Micron, or patches they used with various 80's songs.

thanks in advance,

-EJ

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric, I would suggest joining the ION/Micron user group on Yahoo. Players post patches that they've done, and you can learn alot about the Micron there.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Look for my files in the Yahoo group. You`ll find tones for Rush and ELP, plus some miscellaneous for 80`s stuff. There is plenty of contribution from others like Uralmoto and other guys way better than myself. All in all it`s a great resource.
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Oops??

Oops, while I thought it was pretty self explanatory, I guess I was mistaken. :rolleyes:

Oops - a word used to indicate a mistake was made. As an example I made a mistake with what I posted so I used the word oops to indicate this mistake.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I thought you were commenting that buying a Micron was a mistake.

Gotcha. Now I see what you meant. I didn't think about that perspective when I originally posted that. Out of curiosity, Alesis has had some issues with their keyboards in terms of reliability, bugs ect. How does the micron work for people in this aspect?

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

It has software glitches, the keybed sucks, but it still offers a lot of performance for the money. The emulations of classic keyboard sounds are both varied and good, although not good enough to hold a candle to dedicated VAs such as the Minimax, etc.
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

It has software glitches, the keybed sucks, but it still offers a lot of performance for the money. The emulations of classic keyboard sounds are both varied and good, although not good enough to hold a candle to dedicated VAs such as the Minimax, etc.

Well, we can disagree about the keybed, but software glitches? I never noticed any. It's never crashed on me, and has never done anything unexpected. Please explain.

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

I think the software glitches Andre is talking about are/were using CC for midi, and using the Micron with a computer/DAW. I use my ION live and have recorded it directly to a Tascam 4 track and I never had any kinda trouble with it.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yep, by software glitches I mean the lack of complete and clear MIDI/CC implementation, absolute lack of means to save settings such as tap tempo and assorted minor implementation failures. A real-time editing software would be extremely appreciated as well. But make no mistake, these problems are not enough to make the Micron a bad choice at all, at least in my humble opinion.

Andre, I thought I read on the Yahoo Alesis User's group that there is an editor for it that "someone" wrote. I could be wrong, but it's worth checking into on Yahoo.

So, how's the new equipment brother ProfD helped you score on your last visit??

Mike T.

Hi Mike. It`s stored, waiting for me to land my first Canadian job and return to the mindspace that allows me to make music. Hopefuly it will not be too long.

Archived