Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Players... Or Bassists?

Kramer Ferrington III.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play bass guitar, tuba, bass drum, marimba but not upright bass, ABG, bassoon, bass clarinet, or bass flute.

So

Electric Bass Guitar Player

Electric Bass Guitaist

Tubaist?

Tuba player

Bass Drummist?

Bass Drummer

Maribaist?

Mariba Player

That 'ist is a bit strange istn't it? Works with some instruments but not with others.

Cymbalist.

Cycleist.

I wonder what qualifies it? The dictionaries are no help.

I'm an Engineer by profession not an Enginist.

I'm almost a Bassist or Bass Player? I just have to play learn that bassoon, clarinet and flute... +whatever instruments I haven't considered in my list.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

While titles like "Master of the Low End" and "Purveyor of the Rumble Down Under" are excellent, I find that these get misinterpreted and obfuscated through innuendo. :freak:

I have no beef with the use of "bassist" or "bass player" and don't really assign differential meaning to the two. :deadhorse:

Yes, a "bass holder" is a poser...or a poseur. However, I often do not judge bassists as "bass holders" unless they are oozing and professing a pompous glorification of their own skill and worth. Actions speaking louder than words goes a long way in my book. That is, there is a difference between someone who is struggling with the instrument but seem sincere in their effort to attain greater mastery over time, and someone who is struggling with the instrument but talks a big game.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I call myself a bass player, but you can call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner.

What's it matter what we're called? We still drive the bus don't we? :laugh:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I'm hoping one day to be able to call myself 'groove-meister' or 'funk-master' :o or as one of my friends calls me, 'fish-loving, finger funking god'

I have a long way to go though :(

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

I play bass guitar, tuba, bass drum, marimba but not upright bass, ABG, bassoon, bass clarinet, or bass flute.

So

Electric Bass Guitar Player

Electric Bass Guitaist

Tubaist?

Tuba player

Bass Drummist?

Bass Drummer

Maribaist?

Mariba Player

That 'ist is a bit strange istn't it? Works with some instruments but not with others.

Cymbalist.

Cycleist.

I wonder what qualifies it? The dictionaries are no help.

I'm an Engineer by profession not an Enginist.

I'm almost a Bassist or Bass Player? I just have to play learn that bassoon, clarinet and flute... +whatever instruments I haven't considered in my list.

Then there is the borderline risquee Pianist- Is it PEE-ann-ist, or pee-in-ist, or pee-ANN-ist?

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night...

Mike

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Archived