Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Players... Or Bassists?

Kramer Ferrington III.

Personally, I feel rather uncomfortable with the term "bassist". It sounds a bit pretentious. Subconsciously, I feel that unless you are really very, very good you shouldn't call yourself a "bassist". I prefer the more mundane "bass player".

On the other hand, a band usually has one or more "guitarists" and I don't feel strange saying "Their guitarist sucked", rather than do the logical thing (by my lights) and rephrase that as "Their guitar player sucked".

Does anyone else share this hangup? And are you guys "bass players" or "bassists"?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bass student

but in a band situation i'm a bass player.

as you said, when i hear the word bassist, I think Patituci, Jean Baudin, Steve bailey etc....

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I am with you, Kramer. Bassist, to me, is more of a term to be used for serious professional people that play anything and everything, doing alot of session work and the like. (sometimes used by people who take themselves too seriously, also)

Mike

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I'm not sure why but I think of Bassist as someone who playes a stand up bass, maybe traditional jazz or even classical with a bow.

A bass player plays a bass guitar and it's music like blues, rock or country.

I'm not sure why my mind works that way but anyway that's my two pennies on the supject....

Rob Robitaille

If they're good, they can be a "bassist" or a "bass player" or "the one who works the thud staff" (thanks Mike Watt!)

If they suck, they're a "bass holder."

Or, as Shakespeare wrote, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I refer to my self as a bassist. "Bass player" to me comes off like I was relegated to it even though I didn't want to.. I chose the bass. I'm all about bass. It's my favorite instrument and my favorite tonal range. It's what I listen to the most in songs.

The other instruments are mere window dressing for my bass!!

ok.. going to take my medicine now..

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

I think you guys are putting way too much thought in on this. Just play the bass and let people call you what they will. :thu: People usually call me a hack.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

I like Adam Clayton's quote on how he would explain what he does to a Martian. It used to be someone's sig, but I forget who.

"I simulate love-making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."

Push the button Frank.

I'm with Will-Bass.

I guess I never really thought about it. I use both I guess, and maybe it's the context in which I'm speaking, or the person(s) I'm speaking to as to how I'd use it.

Again, as with Will-Bass, I don't care what I'm called or labeled... bassist? bass player? I'll take either of those as a compliment as I usually get called things much worse! ;)

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Sure, you can't control whether other people call you a "bass player" or a "bassist" or whatever.

But when you are calling about a band (say) and you HAVE to say, "Hi, I'm calling about your ad. I'm a ..." At that point you have to say whether you're a bass player or a bassist or "I play bass"... or something.

Sure, you can't control whether other people call you a "bass player" or a "bassist" or whatever.

But when you are calling about a band (say) and you HAVE to say, "Hi, I'm calling about your ad. I'm a ..." At that point you have to say whether you're a bass player or a bassist or "I play bass"... or something.

I guess my point is that I don't distinguish between the two, nor do I care to and to be honest I would probably use them interchangeably. As far as answering an ad I would probably use whatever term the band used to post the add.

Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

How about "basser"?

And if you're really good, you can call yourself a master basser. :crazy:

I usually refer to myself as a hack, bass player, or combination of both.

Having never read a complete definition of "hack" when referring to musicians, it still seems to be a good fit.

I have pondered this before but to no avail. I agree with those who say bassist refers to the greats: Jaco, Jamerson, Clarke, etc. However, I use them interchangeably when I'm not thinking deeply about the words escaping my mouth. But I would refer to myself as a bass player, even though my musical abilities are strictly limited to the bass.

Ibanez BTB450

Ibanez SR905

Ibanez SRX400

Brownsville ABG2CRBS

Palatino VE-500 EURB

Crate BX-2115L

Crate BT50

Archived