Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Affordable Amps?

soggybomb

I just bought an Ibanez RG-series guitar with a pair of EMG pickups, I really like the sound of them, and am looking for an affordable ($250-$350) combo amp that can bring out their tone. Here are the 4 I am considering:

Carvin SX200 http://tinyurl.com/2xpon4

Rocktron V50D http://tinyurl.com/yvbgpq

Kustom Quad 65DFX http://tinyurl.com/2h86b2

B-52 LG-7512 http://tinyurl.com/yvxzn5

Opinions on these or suggestions on others? Please respond if you know something!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, if you're looking for an affordable solid state amp: GET A TECH 21 or FIRST ACT V-STACK . I've only heard the First Act on video demos, but I have heard recordings w/ the V-Stack pedals (they were a SMALL independent company in Canada I think, then First Act bought them) and they sound great. I have a little Tech 21 practice amp and it's awesome. You won't regret it.

Trademark 60's can go for $300-350 used--that'd be my choice. Put an ad on Craig's List letting people you're looking for one in good condition--don't offer/mention any money, just say you'll make an offer based on the amp's condition.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

i don't know anything about tech 21 or trademark 60. first act? meh.
http://www.tech21nyc.com/guitar_intro.html

...best solid-state amps (not software/digital technology) I've ever heard, for cleans, slight OD, and heavy distortion...anything. Heck, even putting an OD through its "tweed" mode sounds good.

Regarding First Act: you gotta hear things before you go "meh". Although one shouldn't base one's opinion on soundlcips, I have the impression the clips I heard of it were comparable to how a Tech 21 sounds. Remember First Act BOUGHT a company that developed a technology that was making a huge buzz in musical circles, V-Stack. http://www.firstact.com/Products/VStackTechnology/Amps.aspx

My MySpace Space

Someone told me about Peavey's Valveking, so I tried one out, the last time I was at my local GC. IMO it sounded great. Tubes, can't beat 'em.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_peavey_valveking_112_combo_amp?full_sku=104003397

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

Lemme get this right... you are LOOKING for a solid state amp, right? You LIKE the tone of solid state and prefer it to tubes, right?

If that's the case, then I'd go for the Carvin. It looks like a lot more amp for the money. If you prefer a tube (AKA valve) amp, like most rock guitarists do, then I'd look further.

Maybe one of the Epiphones, or the Vox Valvetronix series.

alot of good choices.

all the things i have heard about Tech21 has been good.

there are so many options when going the tube route, the Epi valve jrs are cool.

depending on your end goals for an amp there are varibles to consider like speakers, cab styles (open back or closed). wattage as well.

First, I don't know what 'affordable' means, in terms of someone trying to be a player and be known as a good player with a good sound.

If you are going to buy a cheap amp, you're going to eventually be unhappy with it and buy a better one, then a better one, and after five or ten years you're going to have spent a couple of grand on amps, but you'll just own the last in that you got for probably about $1000 or so. And if you amortise the cost of a piece of equipment over the life of the piece of equipment, you'll find that it really does pay to buy good, buy once, and be happy. If you pay $2000 for an amp and you kept it for ten years, you'll have paid $200 a year for the amp, or less than 55 cents a day. A $350 amp kept for a two years costs about 49 cents a day. Meanwhile, the $2k amp is likely to appreciate in value or at least hold it's own somewhat, while the $350 amp won't. You are far more likely to want to keep the $2k amp, as well, because you'll grow into it, and it will always sound good.

Just my opinion.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Carvin, Fender and Peavey make fairly affordable tube amps that can be bought used for not too much, I'd say in the 300-500 range.

You play heavy rock, right? Metal alla Slayer, or Megadeth, Metallica, Shadows Fall, Dragonforce and whatnot? Hard rock, classic rock?

My MySpace Space

i would like a tube amp, but from what i can tell, i have to pay extra $$ for them, which is why all of those are solid state. affordable just means in that price range. i like cleans that are responsive, clear, and bright, and distortion that is versatile and retains definition. i have played mesa-boogie and marshall tube amps (i play these regularly at my teacher's house) but i can't afford them myself.

as for my playing: i play lots of styles. i like playing jazz, blues, rock (all), some metal.

The options that have been given seem like a good fit according to your tastes, to me.

Fender Hot Rod series, Carvin Vintage Series, Peavey Classic 30 or Valveking. SS: a used Tech 21 Trademark 60...

Good luck.

My MySpace Space

i would like a tube amp, but from what i can tell, i have to pay extra $$ for them, which is why all of those are solid state.

Well, I'd try out the Vox Valvetronix amps. They're not that expensive.

If you like a tube sound, get a tube amp. Or at least a really good modeller. Or look at eBay for 2nd hand amps. There's absolutely no point in spending money on stuff that doesn't satisfy you sonically.

I had a SS Dean Markley for years and it just never sounded right. Most frustrating.

Tech 21 was one of the first companies to do modeling, but it wasn't digital/software-based, just analog. OD pedals through it sound VERY different from other "regular" SS amps--a heck of a lot better.

Way better than on Roland's Cube series, Peavey SS amps (at least the ones I've tried), Fender RockPro Series, etc.

My MySpace Space

First, I don't know what 'affordable' means, in terms of someone trying to be a player and be known as a good player with a good sound.

If you are going to buy a cheap amp, you're going to eventually be unhappy with it and buy a better one, then a better one, and after five or ten years you're going to have spent a couple of grand on amps, but you'll just own the last in that you got for probably about $1000 or so. And if you amortise the cost of a piece of equipment over the life of the piece of equipment, you'll find that it really does pay to buy good, buy once, and be happy. If you pay $2000 for an amp and you kept it for ten years, you'll have paid $200 a year for the amp, or less than 55 cents a day. A $350 amp kept for a two years costs about 49 cents a day. Meanwhile, the $2k amp is likely to appreciate in value or at least hold it's own somewhat, while the $350 amp won't. You are far more likely to want to keep the $2k amp, as well, because you'll grow into it, and it will always sound good.

Just my opinion.

Bill

Bill I like your opionion

I never thought of it in this way

I telling my lady this first thing in the

morning

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

If you pay $2000 for an amp and you kept it for ten years, you'll have paid $200 a year for the amp, or less than 55 cents a day. A $350 amp kept for a two years costs about 49 cents a day...

morning

Yeah, I was amazed at the clearheadedness behind Bill's reasoning. I'm very impressed too! :thu:

If you pay $2000 for an amp and you kept it for ten years, you'll have paid $200 a year for the amp, or less than 55 cents a day. A $350 amp kept for a two years costs about 49 cents a day...

morning

Yeah, I was amazed at the clearheadedness behind Bill's reasoning. I'm very impressed too! :thu:

100% Right!! :thu:

i have already ruled those out. there are tons of complaints about the fenders crapping out after 2 weeks, the marshall doesn't have the tone i want. the only out of these i am still considering is the vox. i like the idea of the fender hot rod

Just my opinion.

Bill

This is a common trend in thinking and I believe it's the sturdiest way of thinking. However, there are those of us that couldn't scrape together $2000 if our lives depended on it. I can safely say that, I will never own a $2000 amp, regardless of how much I may want one, or how bad an idea it is to buy a cheap one. Fact is, I don't currently own an amp, because I can't even afford a cheap one.

When folks offer that advice to me, it always bugs me a little bit. When I bought a cheaper bicycle, I was told that I should just spend an extra thousand and buy a nicer one because I'd be happier with it, with no consideration to the fact that spending an extra thousand is impossible, not just something I'm too greedy to do.

Remember, there are those of us who buy cheaper because we have to and not because we are cheap.

i agree with A String.

I have made a final decision on an amp. I am going to buy a Peavey Valveking 112 combo. I played one in a local store and I am very impressed. It sounds so much better than the solid state amps, and it is definently worth the extra money over my original $300 budget.

...When folks offer that advice to me, it always bugs me a little bit. ....there are those of us who buy cheaper because we have to and not because we are cheap.

I don't believe this for one reason. We're always in a hurry. If you can save $300, you can save $3,000 or $30,000... it just takes longer, and it takes dicipline.

One of the ways in which I saved a bit of cash was to take a pocket pad with me and write down every penny that I spend in a week. EVERY penny. You might be surprised at how much that can be, and how easy it is to save a couple of bucks a day just by cutting out extraneous expenses. In any case, if you've got the resources to save any money, then the amount that you can save is only tempered by your impatience to spend.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

...When folks offer that advice to me, it always bugs me a little bit. ....there are those of us who buy cheaper because we have to and not because we are cheap.

I don't believe this for one reason. We're always in a hurry. If you can save $300, you can save $3,000 or $30,000... it just takes longer, and it takes dicipline.

One of the ways in which I saved a bit of cash was to take a pocket pad with me and write down every penny that I spend in a week. EVERY penny. You might be surprised at how much that can be, and how easy it is to save a couple of bucks a day just by cutting out extraneous expenses. In any case, if you've got the resources to save any money, then the amount that you can save is only tempered by your impatience to spend.

Bill

This just isn't true. I don't want to start getting into my personal finances, but (again) I find it offensives that people assume everyone has the same finances as they do.

Some folks are not able to save at all as they don't have any extra money. After bills are paid, you are broke.

Others may have $10 or $20 a month extra. Saving $10 a month to save up for a $2000 amp would take 17 years. At that point, it would probably be worth far more then $2000... Starting to see where I'm coming from?

Myself, I don't eat out, I don't drink or smoke, I don't own a car. After bills are paid, I'm holding around $20 a month. To suggest that my not saving for an amp is lack of discipline is presumptuous and ignorant.

Archived