Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What chord is this?

Derrick1642607670

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its a type of chord that comes out of the Lydian mode. It wouldn't be a true sus I think since it uses a C# which is the #11(or #4) of the chord and a sus chord usually implies a natural 4. I've seen Jazz Charts where they say "G Lyd." You might just call it a G5(#11).

Derrick, I would probably write the chord as Dmaj7sus4/G. D as the root, C# the maj7th, and G the 4th. The 5th is absent, but that is common. The G is doubled and is the lowest note hence the /G. I guess it really depends on the context you are playing it in if I would think of the chord that way though. I might think of it as just a G power chord with the flat 5(C#) added for dissonance.

Nice chord!

With an A in the bass as root you have a super hip voicing of A11th

A-Root

C#-Maj 3rd

G-Dom 7th

D-11th

I would also put this over an E in the bass as root and call it an Em13....a very freaking hip voicing of it.

E-root

G-minor 3rd

C#-13th

D-Dom 7th.

If you play a Bb on the 6th string using Bb as root for a Bb (#5, #9 ) no 7th.

Bb-root

D-Maj 3rd

F##-Sharp 5

C#-sharp9

These are for sure my type of chord voicings and in fact I have a song using two of these. I love the interval of a minor second in certain chord voicings.

I am prettty sure I named these correctly but should someone question anything, feel free to raise it.

Nice chords built off that Derrick. Stay on this path for sure.

Archived