Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Equalizers...Boss GEB-7 vs GE-7...noticable differences??

jlrush

Hey guys,

I may have posted on this topic a couple of years ago, but now there's a bit of a twist, so please bear with me.

I've been thinking of trying an equalizer with my 3 channel Sansamp for my church gigs. We don't use amps and run through the board, using personal monitors and headphones.

I've learned that the Boss GEB-7 stomp box is for bass and the Boss GE-7 is basically for guitar. The GEB-7 has at least one more band for midrange.

1.Does anyone know if there's that much difference between the two boxes?

2.Does anyone use the GE-7 for bass?

3.Do I really need EQ with the Sansamp?

Thanks in advance, Jim

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your input Steve.

The guitar EQ has 100, 200, 400, 800, 1.6k, 3.2k, and 6.4k settings.

IIRC the bass EQ has 50, 150, 400, 550, 800, 3.2k, and 10k settings.

I assume the mids are the 150 thru 800 for the bass EQ. Isn't it the mids that I would want to use the most for an overall fatter tone? And would the 100 thru 800 settings on guitar EQ be similar?

Thanks, Jim

www.themojoroots.com

3.Do I really need EQ with the Sansamp?

Actually, Jim, the only one here who can answer this question is you. If the Sansamp's EQ gets the job done for you, then "no". If, after using the Sansamp, you find yourself wishing you had more control over the EQ or you find you need an EQ change for different sounds in some songs, then "yes". However, while I don't have the Sansamp myself (I use an MXR M-80), I know a lot of bassists who do and I have never seen anyone supplement it with an EQ pedal. Not sure that bit is worth anything, but I figured I would share what I had seen. But, as I said, your ears are the only judge that matters here.

The groove is in the spaces.

By SmittyG,

But, as I said, your ears are the only judge that matters here.

That's true SmittyG. I have an opportunity to pick up a used guitar EQ really cheap, and I haven't had the opportunity to use the Sansamp that much since I got it. That's why I asked the stupid questions. My main gig is in church and I am run thru a Pod, but want to start using the Sansamp.

Just basically wanted to find out if anyone else uses Sansamp and EQ together and you may have answered my question.

Thanks.

www.themojoroots.com

jlrush, as they say, "There are no stupid questions." Before I started gigging (not saying I'm a "pro" by any means, but I have a few gigs under my belt), I used to always sweat the load over this, that or the other about gear. My biggie was to buy something on impulse and then jump on the forums looking for someone to validate my purchase by seeing who else used it. After I started gigging, I found I started chunking gear left and right and only purchased something that solved a "problem" in my stage sound. And that problem might be nothing more than, "I want to do [whatever] and I can't do that with my current set up." So, now, I try to encourage others to trust their own ears and judgment about their own sound. You can save a lot of money that way, trust me. ;)

The groove is in the spaces.

Archived