Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Y/T: Gov't Mule

Hardtail

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW - I might be able to get you some real info on this gear. My buddy is guitar tech for the guys in Gov't Mule and works with Warren Haynes, Phil Lesh and others in that circle of players.
whoa... that'd be awesome. I seem to recall an article either on GP or now-defunct Guitar 1 that clearly depicted his signal path.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Even better... although it doesn't show the guitar in question, is a YouTube video of Brian talking about the guitars they had in the studio for some sessions..

And this one is the followup in which he describes Warren's amps.

Enjoy!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Whatever the body is from, it's not a Gibson through and through... the neck is a Fender or clone. Look at the headstock. ;)

That is a non-reverse Firebird, Neil. Look at this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-Custom-Shop-NonReverse-Firebird-Electric-Guitar?sku=517197&src=3SOSWXXA

IIRC, they were made originally from about '65 or '66 till about '69 or '70. I think that originals mostly had P-90's or mini buckers in them. I personally like the regular Firebird much better.

That's really cool that you have such a close tie to the Mule. They are one of my favorite bands and I don't miss them when they come to town. Warren is probably one of the most underrated guitarists out there. By everything that I have heard and seen of them, their song list (especially including covers) is MASSIVE.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Oddly enough, I've never seen them live.

Brian was Johnny Cash's instrument tech for about a decade. Johnny had been pretty sick and Brian took other gigs, including the Mule, but ended up as monitor mix for Lila McCann, who wasn't working much. He filled in on the guitar floor at MARS Nashville, where he saw enough of me mixing clinics and performances on the mainstage to invite me to sit in when Lila went into rehearsals during Fan Fair in '99. June Carter had released an album and plans were set for her to play a few high profile gigs on Letterman, Leno and a few big clubs. Brian wasn't going to leave June with someone else tending to her autoharp (We think tuning and babying a 12 string is difficult! ;) ) so he wanted a "friendly face" to fill in on a moment's notice during Lila's 2 months of full time touring before her senior year of high school.

He finished the first month and gave me a call to see if I could be available to hop on the tour bus a few days later. We'd ride 17 hours straight to the World Trade Center, play on the plaza then head right back to Nashville. Later that week we'd open for Vince Gill at Starwood, the now defunct outdoor shed just outside Nashville. I jumped at the chance...

Then he told me he'd been called by the Mule. There had been a difference of opinion regarding the value of Brian's work which led to his original departure to Lila. Now, after hiring and firing 5 guys the Mule were knockin' on his door again. He was torn. Lila was about to turn 18 and looked to be on the rise. His exact words were, "I could retire on her gig if she hit big." In comparison, the Mule looked to be 4 or 5 years of touring, tops. As a unit they were unknown. How many bands of older icons stay touring beyond an album or two?

But Lila only had that second month and 3 or 4 weekends booked the rest of the year, because of school. She didn't have anything on the books for the following year. The Mule would be firing on all cylinders the entire winter and Brian would certainly rather be out on the road than on the guitar floor again at MARS or some other fill in, hoping Lila would break after highschool graduation. He took the job with the Mule and I picked up the whole second month mixing monitors for Lila.

I'm so very happy for Brian he made that decision. He's been working steady for the Mule , etc. ever since with nary a break and, though I wish her the best, Lila's career, barring a Phoenix like rebirth, appears to be over.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Whatever the body is from, it's not a Gibson through and through... the neck is a Fender or clone. Look at the headstock. ;)

That is a non-reverse Firebird, Neil. Look at this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-Custom-Shop-NonReverse-Firebird-Electric-Guitar?sku=517197&src=3SOSWXXA

IIRC, they were made originally from about '65 or '66 till about '69 or '70. I think that originals mostly had P-90's or mini buckers in them. I personally like the regular Firebird much better.

That's really cool that you have such a close tie to the Mule. They are one of my favorite bands and I don't miss them when they come to town. Warren is probably one of the most underrated guitarists out there. By everything that I have heard and seen of them, their song list (especially including covers) is MASSIVE.

You are correct. The headstock appeared to have a full circle on the end but no, it's the Gibbie!

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived