Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Dorian Mode (beginners and intermediate guide)

Phil W

David

you are correct with the notes that you have written, but if we stick with the convention of one finger per fret then using your notation: 2 4, 1 2 4, 1 2 4

2 4 is A B (correct)

1 2 4 is C# D E (incorrect - should be C D E)

1 2 4 is F# G A (correct)

That's what I am saying. That's why Phil talks about shifting either on the second string or the third string.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trucks the G Major scale goes

G A B C D E F# G

So you don't have any Bb

When on the second mode (Dorian) you will start on A

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Interesting thing about fingerings for the dorian mode.

Like most people I play it mostly with the root using the index finger so the fingering is 1 3 4 shift 2 4 1 2 4 or 1 3 4 1 3 shift 1 2 4

This means that I can't play even one octave without shifting.

If, however, I play the root with the little finger, I can play more than an octave on 4 string without shifting (if starting on the E string) - fingering

4 1 2 4 1 3 4 1

Weird I use 2 4 - 1 2 4 - 1 2 4

That's a big stretch David. Are you sure?

:crazy:

Doriab mode second scale mode??? yeah I use that one, I can show you tomorrow at lunch time

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

From Pete Thomas's site:

"It is very important to be aware that the chords Dm7 - G7 in a Dorian mode are chords I and IV, but in the key of C they are chords II and V and usually imply a perfect cadence to chord I."

It never hurts to state the obvious. Yeah, I knew that! but seeing it in print helps bring it home.

-Pete has a great site, by the way. Thanks for mentioning it Phil. It can be pretty instructive to hang with the sax players.

One of the fortunate things about playing bass is that you can _see_ these relationships on the fretboard in a way you can't on keys or horns.

Trucks the G Major scale goes

G A B C D E F# G

So you don't have any Bb

When on the second mode (Dorian) you will start on A

Thanks mate! :-)

After I got myself confused, I did some reading on modes... Now what I don't get.. Is what exactly is the point of using modes? Seeing as it is all part of the major scale but starting at a different note?

Teory speaking there will be guys more capable to explain that to you.

But the way i see you have diferent fingering/scales using the same notes.

So for i.e if someone shouts: "the song is in A staring on lydian"

I know he means the song starts on D and I already know the scale is using.

makes sense?? Probably not

If you are playing a nice one chord song which just repeats a Dm7 chord for a half an hour ( :) ), you will probably be playing a D Dorian scale.

Now, we all now that it will have the same notes as a C major scale.

But!! If you think in C, you'll get all farblondzshet (as my Grandmother used to say).

You need to think in D so that you will know that D is the root, A is the fifth, F is the minor third, C is the b7, and so forth.

And that is why you should know the dorian scale as a unique scale, not as a subset of a major scale.

And as Boris and Natasha would say,

"Got it?" "Got it" "Good"

http://www.classicmedia.tv/assets/circles/boris-natasha.gif

Hopefully soon in october

I'll try to make a video and post on youtube

If a guy fingers your Jamman and you never see him again, that'd be a sad story! ;)

That ain't happening.

BTW how's gonna be? Dinner or Studio? I rather dinner.

Here it is.

No coments allowed on my silly expressions.

Quickly done without any concerns on sound or performance

:evil:

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r165/davidmpires/?action=view&current=VideoDorian.flv

You know is there much call for these type of threads?

I can do another one if the demand is there; I know it was requested in the BP editors forum.

David, I can run through Locrian if you like, or any other diatonic mode or mode of the melodic minor? Or John Coltrane's global scale collection.

Looks like Carol Kaye's pivoting thumb thingy.

What you mean by that Phil??

Archived