Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pavorotti and ?????

mdrs

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Pavarotti's been really clever with those "and friends" concerts. He always sounds better than whoever he has up there with him so he makes inroads into other markets while showing up pop singers.

I didn't go through all the links, Don. Did you include the one where he sung with the Spice Girls? That was a real bloodbath, they sounded like utter crap compared to him, and numerical superiority be damned.

Uh... maybe it's a function of the crappy YouTube vid, guys, but the Spice Girls sounded fine with Luciano. Of course I wouldn't be surprised to find out there was real time pitch correction involved, but from appearances they sang just fine.

On the other hand, the absolute insipid lyrics they were singing sounded like some bad arrangement of a pop song as done by a high school choir.

Sometimes stuffing syllables together creates interesting rhythms... this was not one of those times. :freak:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Uh... maybe it's a function of the crappy YouTube vid, guys, but the Spice Girls sounded fine with Luciano.

Well, sure... they sounded fine. For being the Spice Girls, that is. And the Spice Girls' vocals sounded ok on their own records, don't get me wrong.

But when you hear the thin, reedy vocal sound they produce (at best) and compare it with the richness and dark texture of Pavarotti's voice, yeah, they sound like crap.

Sure, they're women, so they're going to have thinner voices. But Maria Callas they ain't. They ain't even her cousins.

You see I don't buy that, Vince. They sound exactly like they were supposed to sound. I don't think their voices sounded "ok" at all... And I don't even like that kind of music much. The only songs of that style I can ever remember liking were a few cuts by Wilson Phillips and Anytime You Need A Friend, performed by the Beau Sisters for the soundtrack to the Disney movie, Home On The Range.

I sincerely believe had Pavarotti invited the best female operatic voices to sing that song with all their amazing vocal instruments, it really would have sounded like crap. The operatic style doesn't complement that song any more than it would You Shook Me (All Night Long) by AC/DC.

Just my opinion, of course.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

At about 2:50, Pavorotti hits a high note, and I was looking at the Spice Girls heads, waiting for them to EXPLODE!!! :eek:

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb202.gif

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Pavarotti's been really clever with those "and friends" concerts.

Ye$$$ he ha$$$. I'm sure he's a close friend to Lou Reed and the Spice Girls.

I'd love to see him do November Rain, maybe Paradise City w/ Axl Rose, hehehe.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I'd love to see him do November Rain, maybe Paradise City w/ Axl Rose, hehehe.

Uhmm... I suspect ole Pavvers would do "Paradise City" quite well, actually. It's got a tune. If you pretend to be Pavarotti and sing it, you can see how it'd work. Just.

Now... "Rocket Queen", on the other hand...

I liked the Queen video a lot. Who knew Brian May could sing so well?

Actually, he's got a bunch of solo work and I think he did some Queen songs (not that I can think of any). He also did an EP with Eddie Van Halen years ago that was a lot of fun. It was called Star Fleet Project.

Ross

www.deeppocketband.com

www.epitunes.com/Artists/Deep-Pocket

Archived