Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Problem with my finger nails

blueross

Hey Aaron......WELCOME TO OUR FORUM :wave:

I've tried my nails short. I've tried my nails long. It doesn't make a difference, as far as I can tell. Gelatin is said to stregthen the nails....meaning making your nails harder. This is also the reason some put clear polish on their nails.

None of that stuff will keep the nail from separating from the nailbed. I think the nail separates because it's just inherently stuck on "less strongly" in some of us. Also, it's a function of how hard we bend, how heavy the strings we use are, what part of our fingertip we use to bend, the angle of our finger's attack at the string/fretboard, etc. etc.

"Ya gotta suffer if you wanna sing da blues" :cool:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of that stuff will keep the nail from separating from the nailbed. I think the nail separates because it's just inherently stuck on "less strongly" in some of us. Also, it's a function of how hard we bend, how heavy the strings we use are, what part of our fingertip we use to bend, the angle of our finger's attack at the string/fretboard, etc. etc.

"Ya gotta suffer if you wanna sing da blues" :cool:

Yep.. I just dealt with a bummer finger the last few days.

It happens to me about once a month. I'm used to it.

Well..if it toughens the skin all around the nail if soaked, it can't hurt.

It's not that it "can't hurt". It's just not addressing the problem we're discussing here, which is the nail separating from it's bed. The skin on your finger tip does not hold the nail on the nail bed. So, toughening it will not help.

If one was discussing a problem with developing a callous on the finger tip, then something that toughens the skin on the fingertip would help for THAT problem.

Just the same, clear nail polish and eating gelatin help harden the nail, making it "wear longer" and less likely to break. But, polish and gelatin will also not help keep the nail from separating from it's bed.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

Well, for my left hand I have noticed when I cut my nails short that can happen if I play alot.

I dunno what it does, but the shorter they are the more sensitive that area becomes. I know I am right for myself and usually try to keep them with a tiny tip on them. I mean it isn't just from pulling it could be from pushing.

When you fret hard or play hard with your left hand with short nails they may irritate the skin cuz they don't have that base they had before.

Just my silly theory, but I swear I have at that too and it was from cutting my nails too short.

Hey Blueross, I've had the same look off and on with the nail on my second finger as you have on your third for about 20 years. (!) Not painful, just looks different. What kind of style are you playing? Even in the heavy rock days, I never felt like I was separating the nail from the finger.

Don't cut it real tight, and your fingernails are actually one of the first things to show the effect of an unbalanced diet.

Think of it like this....

When your nails are a little longer, the string can't get as close to the nail bed and cause damage.

When they're shorter, the strings have more access right at the tenderest of areas of the nail beds.

You need to toughen your skin up a little if possible.

Whatever way you have to do it...do it.

That's why I mentioned an Alum powder solution to soak your finger tips in.

It will help.

It will not cure diseases. :D

It's like the office worker that decides to go out and do an all day lawn clean up.

His hands aren't used to it, and the first thing that happens is he gets blisters when he uses a lawn tool with a handle.

That's why we wear gloves on those occasions. :D

Cutting your nails TOO short is not a good idea.

I like mine short too, but I had to learn not to go too far.

Another thing, buy and keep a good quality pair of nail clippers and replace them if they get dull.

It's not like they're expensive. :D

Good luck.

Randy

"Just play!"

You are hittin the nail on the head, Zan.

It all comes down to how much force you exert on your fingertip. At a certain level of force pulling the nail from the bed, the force of separation will exceed the nailbed's ability to "hold on". Tough skin is fine. Long nails? Short nails? Both, fine. But, none of that will hold the nail to the nail bed once you've exceeded that level of force.

And, Crazy Glue is the cure, once you've separated!!

Don

Hey Blueross ... What kind of style are you playing?

Blues and rock. Little surprised to see this thread start up again, but pleased... That problem did happen right after I cut my nails, but I am tending to agree that it is the force, not that I cut too close. I did not end up needing to try the super glue because by the time it was discussed, the finger was back close to normal and wasn't hurting. Next time, though, I'll be ready. Thanks guys.

Ross

www.deeppocketband.com

www.epitunes.com/Artists/Deep-Pocket

Archived