Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Westfield

slap-pop-karl

Does anyone know anything about the Westfield B1000?? I was going to get one but wasn't sure about its weight, also does anyone know how much the Westfield VBS4a is?? Or if anyone has any other suggestions of a bass under £150 that is light and pretty good sound quality just say. Thanks. :wave:

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From your signature...

Want- Musicman Stringray, Musicman Bongo

If you have a bass now that does the job, save up for the one you really want. You'll be much happier in the long run IMO.

My bass is really heavy and it hurts my neck so i thought id buy a cheap one. So really it does not really do the job for me that well unless I sit down. Also this is the only money I will have for a long time. And what does IMO mean??

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-RED-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-ACCESSORIES-RRP-175_W0QQitemZ320115405863QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

says it was £175....now i wouldn't class that as cheap or is the person telling a little lie to get things moving??

Spk,

IMO = In My Opinion

If your neck hurts from standing it's probably the result of poor posture. Stand up straight and tall and rest the strap firmly across your shoulder (not your trapezius), look forward. If you can't withstand the pressure of an instrument that weighs only 10 pounds or less the bass is definately not your problem.

IMO quality is better than quantity as far as instruments go. Save up for a better bass rather than having many beginner basses.

Zombie i get what you mean i do stand up straight etc but my bass weighs a ton. I can stand up for hours with the bass's at school because the are feather lite. I do get what you are all saying though but I'll just use my old one (if i get a new one) as a project.

Nah I don't look down until it starts to hurt. Would it have any effect if I alter my strap so its lower?? i have it around crotch level but it can get lower.

Spk,

I dunno then. It's probably just tension resulting from discomfort of standing with a bass. It seems you're kinda new to bass so your shoulder muscles may not be developed well enough to withstand the pull of the bass.

Like I said, if you wanna get some of those higher end basses you're gonna have to withstand the pull 10 pounds or more so you better get used to it.

Try handstands.

Spk,

I dunno then. It's probably just tension resulting from discomfort of standing with a bass. It seems you're kinda new to bass so your shoulder muscles may not be developed well enough to withstand the pull of the bass.

Like I said if you wanna get some of those higher end basses you're gonna have to withstand the pull 10 pounds or more so you better get used to it.

Try handstands.

rite, I'll try that, and yeah I'm pretty new to bass 1 1/2 years.

$99 isnt that like £200??

No, it's, like, £50, Man.

I've got a 5 string RBX375 (Humbuckers) I'm selling.

G.

Nice. Whats it like??

Have you thought about a short scale bass?

Headless basses are very light too.

1977fender telecaster bass . Washburn status, ch guitar 8 string , schecter elite diamond series 5 string. Steinberger xm2 custom.the list goes on..

Click me for all your currency conversions.

I have a rather heavy bass (the Yamaha) and a really wide strap. I tend to put the bass as high up as I feel comfortable with, rather than lower (towards the knees). That said, the guy I bought it from was skinny and tall and found it too heavy, I'm short and stocky and I have very little trouble with the weight of the bass.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I' skiny and tall, and I have heavy basses, but using them high as I like may put less presure on my shoulder/neck than if I play them on my knees.

How do you play your bass Karl? That may have some influence...although you should use it the way you feel more confortable

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Hey Karl,

The bass that Picker showed you will be pretty light and real decent for a starter bass. That price is very good if it stays that low.

I think that wearing your bass lower will cause back or neck pain. I used to wear mine low years ago and shortened the strap. I have a Yamaha 5 string that's pretty heavy, but I strap my bass high and I don't have any problems with pain. I'm in my mid 50's too. Good luck.

Jim

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I' skinny and tall, and I have heavy basses, but using them high as I like may put less pressure on my shoulder/neck than if I play them on my knees.

How do you play your bass Karl? That may have some influence...although you should use it the way you feel more comfortable

I put it about half way between as far as it can go and up my body, but I have never tried it full up I have full down once when I was taking the piss out of some bassists (you know the ones that play a few notes and have it all the way down at there feet) , so I guess I will give it a go further up.
Hey Karl,

The bass that Picker showed you will be pretty light and real decent for a starter bass. That price is very good if it stays that low.

I think that wearing your bass lower will cause back or neck pain. I used to wear mine low years ago and shortened the strap. I have a Yamaha 5 string that's pretty heavy, but I strap my bass high and I don't have any problems with pain. I'm in my mid 50's too. Good luck.

Jim

Oh thanks. I would actually look in to that Yammy but its over in the states and seems it is through my mums ebay she wont buy it (other countries taxes and all that stuff) and I haven't got a paypal account or a ebay account...or a bank account so I also can't buy it. It looks really nice and as you say its lite, it looks like a good buy so I think I can have a look on the UK ebay. :)

No, it's, like, £50, Man.

I've got a 5 string RBX375 (Humbuckers) I'm selling.

G.

Nice. Whats it like??

You have a PM

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

G, I haven't received anything. But I did search your bass in google and it looks beautiful.

Try adjusting the strap shorter so that your bass hangs the same length as it would when you're sitting down. That might help you deal with the weight better.

I used to have an old '78 P-Bass that weighed 13 pounds (and sounded like crap) so I understand your gripe about the weight. Most of my basses weigh between 7 and 9 pounds now and they're fine.

I agree with Jeremy that you'd do better in the long run if you save for a nicer instrument rather than buy another cheap one now.

If you can find a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass in the UK, I'd recommend going with that. They're cheap and their construction is fantastic for being so inexpensive. I got mine for $400 in the states, so you might be able to find one for around £200 in the UK (not including the import tarrifs).

G, I haven't received anything. But I did search your bass in google and it looks beautiful.

Go to the top of this page & click on 'My Stuff' then click on 'My Messages'.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

You could try out a Comfort strapp. I used to use one back when when I had this Ibanez 8 string that was so heavy that it was like playing a piece of furniture.

As for a bass that weighs in at 10 pounds? You should be able to play one without too much physical strain. If that's not the case right now, grow stronger! :grin: Seriously, it's not unheard of for musicians to strategically work out the muscle groups needed for playing. Taking care of your hands, wrists, arms and shoulders for the purposes of playing isn't an insignificant consideration.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived