Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thanks to my band

Ross Brown

We added 7 songs to our set list last night at rehearsal.

Crossroads

Lie To Me

Fire Down Below

What Kind of Woman is This?

Midnight Train

ROCK in the USA

White Room

I am blessed to finally be playing with inspired, hard working and talented musicians. They humble me. I cant believe we could add that many in one night. Everyone did their homework.

I just wanted to share.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pick up the words to "What I like About You" tack it onto the end of R O C K and you have 8!
Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Pick up the words to "What I like About You" tack it onto the end of R O C K and you have 8!

I forgot about that. played it before with another band. I'll suggest it. I like that song better.... :grin:

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Our guitarist does all the homework for us. He brings up the chords and we all just play the songs. I don't see the point of all of us spending hours at home only for all of us to come up with slightly different versions of the chords. When you have played with a bunch of guys for a while and you know what the originals sound like it's too easy. One day you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

That is unless you are really anal and try to get every song sounding exactly like the original.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I hate when we learn songs in different keys. We both transcribe on the fly, so not a huge problem. Just annoying. What I meant by homework was that everyone has run through the songs and knows what they want to do. I have played with guys that had no clue.

We don't need them to sound like the originals. It is never too easy, because invariably someone has a different version of the song in their head and the breaks/solos and stops are in different places. We have drums, bass and guitar. Sometimes the originals were many more instruments, sometimes not. That's not too easy either. Rehearsal is the time to work the bugs out. i have played with guys that thought it was time to learn the songs.

I will alway fuss. Tends to work for me...

OK thanks Ross, that looks like your version of 'Homework' pretty much matches what we do too. Learn what the song sounds like and any signature riffs, then get together and jam it till it sounds good, rather than everyone learning lines off pat and expecting everything to sound exactly like the original first time around.

As I say, it does get very easy very quickly once you know each other and can predict what each other is likely to do.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived