Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: WOW!

slap-pop-karl

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure it is a demonstration of the guitar, to appeal to guitar players. It was recorded by Larrivee. So on that level, I think it works.

I have heard him play more interesting melodies in the same style.

But apart from being some nice skills. I don't see it as a playing style that actually creates music that's listenable to the general public (or even a non-guitarist). So for that reason alone, I see it as a little pointless.

I do wish I was capable of it though ;)

I think that has been on here before.....and it still reminds me of "Music For Typewriters".....yep, gtrists now turning to slapping--which is something Reggie Wooten has been doing for years (and how Victor learned how to...)

Yet, I do recall a fella named George Van Eps doing slapping and tapping on a seven string guitar back in the early 50s.

And so it goes.

People..well, certainly players...seem to be so impressed with vacant virtuosity. Recently, I played a gig with a fairly well known gtr player. Monstrous technique, certifiable "shredder" with a zillion licks.....

...and absolutely nothing to say. He did not play one note all night which compelled me to listen to him. In fact, despite the fretboard pyrotechnics, he was quite boring and one of the most un-musical acts I had heard.

Later that night, I stopped by a coffee shop where there was an acoustic duo. Neither possessed the skill or dexterity of the gtr hero, but both exhibited an extreme passion, wit, charm and pathos in their playing which certainly did compell me to listen (and leave a sizeable tip!).

Virtuosity for its own sake is a very shallow puddle. Paganini used to write violin pieces of such difficulty that he was the only person in the world who could play them...and if it were not for some egomanical Swede gtr player, he would probably be a soon to be forgotten historical footnote.

Music is about communicating the uncommunicatable (now there is a new Max-ism for ya!), making tangible the intangible, and connecting with people on a level for which there is no quantifiable measure. It is also about entertaining. Chops, for their own sake,(and their ego-driven displays) do none of this.

And, while this is true of all music (and art in general), this is particularly applicable to the bass.

I ain't impressed.....pretty "underwhelming", really.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

This is very "Check out my chops". Why do you think people on a bass forum want to watch obnoxious guitar clips?

Thanks for sharing nonetheless.

Because I like a lot of the different things that can be done by the guitar. Last year I didn't think much of the acoustic guitar all though I loved the sound. Didn't seem to be as attractive as the Electric Guitar until I saw people do stuff like that.

Those two videos are a little more tasteful but I don't yet think he's actually creating real music.

It's sounds like someone masturbating aurally.

Since when did it have to sound musical to sound cool? Or look impressive.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Karl...I am really glad that it floats your boat. But, that whole bit about "needing to sound musical"...and "looking impressive"? Ok, so you are a newbie, and as such glitz, flash, twinkling lights and shiny objects are likely to be quite fascinating to you. "Musical" is a basic criterea(tho ill-defined) which musical expression must meet. Without it it is just noise. And certainly, noise can be cool...noise can even be quite musical. But, without it being musical noise is just noise. It becomes sort of like teaching an elephant to paint. An interesting novelty, but hardly any lasting substance (and certainly not fullfiling any of the criterea of "art"...exepct for perhaps a fleeting moment of entertainment.).

FWIW...my 6 yr old daughter has been playing both gtr and bass in much the fashion of that video, and about as well. Quite random...and, for a 6yr old, quite cool. Hardly musical.

As for looking impressive. In some ways that does look impressive. Does it sound impressive? Not at all.

Max

Karl run a search on Paco De Lucia, John Maclaughin, Joel Xavier

u will like those

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I can sit and watch that over and over. :D hehe.
Karl...I am really glad that it floats your boat. But, that whole bit about "needing to sound musical"...and "looking impressive"? Ok, so you are a newbie, and as such glitz, flash, twinkling lights and shiny objects are likely to be quite fascinating to you. "Musical" is a basic criterea(tho ill-defined) which musical expression must meet. Without it it is just noise. And certainly, noise can be cool...noise can even be quite musical. But, without it being musical noise is just noise. It becomes sort of like teaching an elephant to paint. An interesting novelty, but hardly any lasting substance (and certainly not fullfiling any of the criterea of "art"...exepct for perhaps a fleeting moment of entertainment.).

FWIW...my 6 yr old daughter has been playing both gtr and bass in much the fashion of that video, and about as well. Quite random...and, for a 6yr old, quite cool. Hardly musical.

As for looking impressive. In some ways that does look impressive. Does it sound impressive? Not at all.

Max

some of that sounded quite insulting :(...
I don't pay a lot of attention to people who beat up on acoustic guitars, but if I have to pick a favorite, Tommy Emmanuel is the man:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=TOMMY%20EMMANUEL&search=Search

its very good, but i like Paco more. I was also wondering if anyone knew the names of two duo acoustic guitarists. One is male and plays a really fast (well the one i saw) guitar picking bit and the girl dose a really good strumming thing. Any ideas??

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Hmmm....Well, I dig Slap-pop-carl's tube post. I wouldn't want a steady diet of the stuff, but I dig it. I'd go see him live to see what else he can do with it. Masterbation? Well, sure. But I've seen a dozen or so flecktones shows where the same thing goes on for each and every member of the band; nothing wrong with that as long as there's something more than just that. And yes, I usually get another beer during Future Man's excesses.

But that's just me.

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Tommy Emmaunel is quite simply amazing...and one of my favorites. A wealth of amazing stuff....there was an album a few years back with Chet Atkins (Thumbpickers Took Over The World...me thinks) which is amazing!

Karl...really I did not mean that to come off insulting. My apologies...didn't have my "wake-up cup" yet!

The duo you are asking about are Rodrigo y Gabriela . I just picked up a CD/DVD package from them...quite amazing stuff! Like it a lot.

A couple of years ago I did a tour of Spain and France with a Flamenco troupe. Got to see, meet, hear and play with some outstanding gtrists...and learned a helluva lot along the way. Still trying to incorporate more of the flamenco techniques into my own playing...but that style is a liflong study.

All of Paco De Lucia stuff is of very high calibre. There is a trio couple of trio albums recorded live with McLaughlin and Al Dimeola that are well worth checking out. He is legendary amongst Flamenco players...and so is his long time bassist, Carles Benevent, who is one of my "bass heroes" (and with Steve Swallow one of the all time great and amazing pick plyers out there....well, toss Bobby Vega in that group as well.)

Max

FWIWover the past several years finger style (and hybrid finger style) and flamenco gtrist have been a much greater influence and inspiration to my own playing than bass players. I have pretty much abandoned playing solid body electric basses in favor of acoustic bass guitars, and with the exception of playing my fretless, I use a modified apoyando flamenco technique in my playing.

There are lot of really good acoustic players worth checking out:

Michael Hedges, Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, Preston Reed, Lawrence Juber, Pierre Bensusan, Patty Larkin, Kaki King, Richard Thompson, John Renbourn, Leo Kottke, LAGQ, Thom Bresh, Peppino DAgostino, Ed Gerhard, Doyle Dykes, Thomas Leeb, Martin Simpson, Jerry Douglas (dobro), Phil Keaggy, Uli Bogershausen, Pete Huttlinger, ..

Max

Max, thank you for the list. As I mentioned earlier I don't pay a lot of attention to acoustic guitar players, that's due in a large part to lack of knowledge. The list give me a few names to start with. :D
- Matt W.

Tommy Emmaunel is quite simply amazing...and one of my favorites. A wealth of amazing stuff....there was an album a few years back with Chet Atkins (Thumbpickers Took Over The World...me thinks) which is amazing!

Karl...really I did not mean that to come off insulting. My apologies...didn't have my "wake-up cup" yet!

The duo you are asking about are Rodrigo y Gabriela . I just picked up a CD/DVD package from them...quite amazing stuff! Like it a lot.

A couple of years ago I did a tour of Spain and France with a Flamenco troupe. Got to see, meet, hear and play with some outstanding gtrists...and learned a helluva lot along the way. Still trying to incorporate more of the flamenco techniques into my own playing...but that style is a liflong study.

All of Paco De Lucia stuff is of very high calibre. There is a trio couple of trio albums recorded live with McLaughlin and Al Dimeola that are well worth checking out. He is legendary amongst Flamenco players...and so is his long time bassist, Carles Benevent, who is one of my "bass heroes" (and with Steve Swallow one of the all time great and amazing pick plyers out there....well, toss Bobby Vega in that group as well.)

Max

i didnt really take it bad i was messing. and thanks.

Archived