Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is that sound?

Jeff Irok

I'd like to recreate a sound, but before I'd start, I was hoping there might be some folks who can give me a jumps start. It might be thought of as Jordan Rudess' "signature sound" since he uses it in many DT tunes, as well as his solo stuff, but I've also heard Derek Sherinian use it in his solo stuff as well.

Instead of trying to describe it, just listen here. (I don't want to illegally post any of Jordan's stuff, so the link is to his site.) Play the first song, Crack the Meter. I think it's the sound that opens the song, but that's not a good example. Listen to about 1:43. That's where a pretty good example of it starts.

It's almost like a lead guitar simulation that doesn't want to be a lead guitar. I think I'm hearing at least a square wave in there, maybe resonated a bit. But my ear's not good enough to be able to nail down a complex sound like some others on the forum. And who knows - maybe this is a common preset somewhere on a synth I'm not familiar with. Anyway, thanks for any help youcan give!

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moe's right. If you watch the videos of JR that were (still are?) posted on Keyboardmag.tv, he describes in one of them the process that he goes through to create some of his "signature sounds." In short, he sculpts and layers like crazy, so you can rest assured it's not a simple preset. That said, some of the other sound-sculpting wizards on this Forum (definitely not me!) can probably tell you how to get a decent approximation.

Noah

That's one of Jordan's earlier leads, which he used the Kurzweil 2500 for. He gave it to Kurzweil (or something similar to it) and it became a preset called "Liquid T" on the K2600.

There's a bunch of stuff in it (you can do a search of Jordan's forum for the recipe). Including square waves as you pointed out, some acoustic samples (oboe?) and a piano attack sound for the lower registers to give them some bite. Some of the layers have some mild waveshaping (distortion). There is a "feedback layer" (i.e. a sine wave pitched an octave above the fundamental that you can pull into and out of the sound) in one of the versions of this sound. Some of the character in the lead is in the types of bends and vibrato he is doing.

HTH,

Jrry

Great info, guys! Thanks! I was unaware of the facts that you related, and I didn't think to check Jordan's forums! I'll also look for the Keyboardmag.tv clip - sadly, I haven't gotten to any of them yet!

As Tusker alluded to, I know that there's more than just the sound - the technique is what gives it life. And I'm not surprised to hear Jordan has different variations of it either.

The Key Components!

Ok, just back from Jordan's forum. A little search and the answer popped up. I also found a link to a site I was unaware of - http://www.progsounds.com - It's apparently run by one of the members. Not having a 'major' workstation (my biggest keyboard is the Yamaha S80) or any of the gear it looks like it's centered around, I don't know that I'd get much out of that site, but I thought I'd pass it on. - Well, I shouldn't say that - there's some good tips & tricks and technique articles and postings there.

Also - the site has its own wiki, and guess what's there? Jordan Rudess' Liquid T Lead! It goes a bit more in depth than the explainations on Jordan Rudess' forum, so I thought I'd pass this along as well.

The Key Components!

That's one of Jordan's earlier leads, which he used the Kurzweil 2500 for. He gave it to Kurzweil (or something similar to it) and it became a preset called "Liquid T" on the K2600.

I stand corrected. It's the not the first time I've been wrong and certainly won't be the last either. Thanks, Tusker!

Noah

Ok, just back from Jordan's forum. A little search and the answer popped up. I also found a link to a site I was unaware of - http://www.progsounds.com - It's apparently run by one of the members. Not having a 'major' workstation (my biggest keyboard is the Yamaha S80) or any of the gear it looks like it's centered around, I don't know that I'd get much out of that site, but I thought I'd pass it on. - Well, I shouldn't say that - there's some good tips & tricks and technique articles and postings there.

Also - the site has its own wiki, and guess what's there? Jordan Rudess' Liquid T Lead! It goes a bit more in depth than the explainations on Jordan Rudess' forum, so I thought I'd pass this along as well.

As Sven always says, Google is your friend!

Noah

Archived