Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UK tax and getting paid

Graham56

Hi UK guys,

My band have been playing some paying bar gigs recently and have twice been asked for receipts for the cash. I guess it's to cover the manager with the owners/brewery.

But both times they have also asked for National Insurance and personal details for one person, "the band leader". In both cases it's my details they got! I'm actually self-employed, but my business has nothing to do with music.

I presume this information gets passed onto HMRC. Are they likely to come looking for tax at some point? We make so little out of this that I'd hate to get tagged for a tax bill for everyone's share in the future...

Is this something that you UK guys have come across? And how do you deal with it if you have?

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing here.

The reciept will be needed so that he can account for the cash to the Inland Revenue, whether its a tied house or not.

I would never give my NI number or personal details to anyone except my employer.

You're not VAT registered so I would hope that just a peice of paper with your name, date and signature along with a date and the name of your band would be all they require. That's all I provide.

Each of you band mates should be declareing all that extra income on their tax returns. After deducting things like transport costs, equioment depreciation, refreshments etc.

Unless you are doing loads of gigs and earning more than about £3000 a year I wouldn't be too worried.

A friend of mine ran dances on a monthly basis. He bought CDs and a PA system, he put on food and hired halls. He had one meeting with a good accountant who went through practically every expenditure, including his car and managed to show that he made no money from it at all. Nice! Especailly as he had to have private dancing lessons for him and his wife so that they could demonstate the dances, and go on weekends away to blackpool to learn special dances.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

A friend of mine ran dances on a monthly basis. He bought CDs and a PA system, he put on food and hired halls. He had one meeting with a good accountant who went through practically every expenditure, including his car and managed to show that he made no money from it at all. Nice! Especailly as he had to have private dancing lessons for him and his wife so that they could demonstate the dances, and go on weekends away to blackpool to learn special dances.

If you said you friend was a no-account guit-fiddle picker, I would have thought you must have meant me... :cry:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Tim's spot on here. You will easily be able to demonstrate that you are not making a profit from this activity and so no worries.

Bit surprised about the request for the NI number. Not seen that before.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Graham I know what you are talking about.

I speak with the chap and tell them to organize that do not give your NI number, that's what I've done on our gigs, I only sign a paper with bands name saying that we got paid and we played there nothing more.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Archived