Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Technique question RE: 2 keyboards.

shniggens

I know there is no set rule, but how would YOU approach this scenario -

Say you are playing two parts ala "Don't Do Me Like That" by Tom Petty, where one keyboard will be a percussive piano part, and the other keyboard will be an organ pad.

Which hand would you prefer to play each part?

Amateur Hack

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, it's a matter of how straight the piano part is played, and how much variation is involved. My right hand is 'stronger' than my left, so the more 'difficult' part will get my RH's attention. :)

For the song in question, I play the piano part with my right hand, organ with my left; my setup is piano on the bottom board (Motif ES) and organ above (VK8).

I don't know the parts in question, but I think one would take a pad with the left hand more often than not. If the piano part was low down and the hammond part high up you might reverse the hands to avoid playing with arms reaching across.

A key indicator is some particular features of the parts. If the part contains tenths with most of the notes at the top, you need to take it with the left hand. Hammer ons generally require use of an outer finger rather than the thumb. If it involves thumb dragging you need to use the thumb that goes on those notes. (Thumb dragging is usually a right hand thing. Its when you play a melody with the outer fingers and a pattern over two or three notes - alternating between the seven and the root of the chord for example) with the thumb.)

For just passage work, of course, you should make it a goal to be able to take it with either hand. Soloing with your left hand while playing chords with your right is a fun thing to do just at the piano, can be quite effective musically, impresses the more knowledgeable members of the crowd, and is well worth spending some time on. (disclaimer: I am not very good at it)

The bottom line is, what's the easiest way for you to do it?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I'd say I can do both ways, so my hands are more or less of same strength. But hammond pad parts are usually quite high up the keyboard, and may involve slides down, so RH would do better,IMO

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Archived