Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PHOTOS: Lubing clacking black keys in Roland FP4 & Kawai ES4

Jazz+

I re-lubed the front guide posts in my FP4 because the black keys were making clacking nosies when they banged against the sides of the front guide posts. I used a slightly heavier grease than Roland had originally applied. I used Finish Line Teflon Grease. Apparently Roland did not apply the grease very thoroughly in my unit and the grease had slipped down. My FP4's action is now silent and smooth. I did the same thing to my Kawai ES4 several months ago because it's black keys had all begun to clack.

PHOTOS of Roland FP4 being lubed:

http://picasaweb.google.com/qq33qq33/FP4Lube

Here are the photos from when I lubed my Kawai ES4's front guide posts. I simply wiped the existing grease back up and around the posts. It had not been applied carefully enough at the factory and it had slipped down. Kawai says any white lithium grease will work. It is sold in auto parts stores.

PHOTOS of KAWAI ES4 being lubed:

http://picasaweb.google.com/qq33qq33/KawaiES4

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job Jazz+.

With your photos and instructions I have no doubt I will be able to do this without any problems. Much better than taking it to the "authorized" Roland service center here.

I want to wait until you have played yours a bit to see for sure how it is and responds and if it lasts. Please update us here.

Also, are there any parts that can be damaged by too much grease dripping down around the posts? It looks like some of the original grease already was starting to get on the white felt.

Photos of KAWAI ES4 being lubed:

http://picasaweb.google.com/qq33qq33/KawaiES4

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Great job and thorough photos. Thanks for posting it all.

Like Piano4U, I'll wait a bit to see how it holds up for your keyboard before I attempt it myself. I'd also like to know if too much grease can cause other problems. If all goes well, I think I will try to do it myself.

Thanks a million for letting us in on this!

The grease won't cause problems, it's a lack of proper grease application that causes problems. I played it for three hours today and there are no clacks anywhere.

That's great to hear Jazz+. Please keep us informed with regular updates. If it holds-up, which it looks like it should, I'll follow your lead. I want to make sure that the Finnish Line lubricant you used is the right choice and I think time will help to determine that. I would prefer to only have to re-lube it once, not like you had with your Kawai. Although I suppose as with any lubricated part, there is a possibility this could be a required maintenance procedure every 12 months or 3,000 Bb Blues, whichever comes first. :grin:

Excellent work Jazz+. If the grease sagged, it suggests a poorly chosen grease formulation.

Certainly, using the right lubricant is critical for long-term performance. Car manufacturers tend to use a whitish zinc based lithium grease for door locks, because of its resistance to wiping off and tendency not to stain. Car door locks have metal and plastic parts. That would be my first suggestion of grease choice.

As another option I would be wondering about a silicone based grease being probably a bit more stable and having good plastic compatibility.

...Or a rubber grease as used for lubricating car brake parts prior to assembly - they don't damage rubber at all, but the one I have for that may be a bit too thick to use on keyboard.

The teflon grease looks to have a good consistency and bike greases do tend to be expensive hopefully meaning good.

(Great to see inside the FP4...I was wondering about prospects of an internal power supply and speaker upgrades one day. Looks like both are feasible.)

• 2 weeks later...

I do the same job last Sunday thanks to the instructions of Jazz+.

I relube almost all the black keys (except 2 or 3 in the very high and very low of the keyboard). Initially I had some difficulty in understanding the screws I had to remove. Anyway I removed 9 screws on the bottom edge of the underside; the the 2 outer lateral screws and then 8 screws along the underside of the front rail. Anyway they are the outer perimeter screws as Jazz+ has written. I used less grease on the front guide but I lube internally the black keys in the part where I have seen the front guide slips on (perhaps is the same thing). No clacking now ! Thanks again Jazz+ !

Archived