Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi Drawbars?

Hobo

I'm after some midi drawbars that don't cost the earth, for a DIY single manual project.... does nobody make them now? I see the B4D controller has gone since Bohn went bust. Is there no market for such a thing? 9 Drawbars , 2 footpedal inputs and a knob or 2 for overdrive etc.

Or has my googling missed something?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another vote for the Peavey 1600x. It's a thing of beauty. I wish more manufacturers came up with similar things for midi control. Basically, it's a box with 16 faders and 16 buttons. They are all programmable, an immense pain in the ass if you do it manually with the unit itself. However, there is a software out there somewhere that can do it for you on the computer, and you upload it to the unit.

I'm trying to configure mine to have it ready for a live gig, so I can use B4. So far, I haven't had the time to get it gig-ready, but I have spent quite a bit of time fiddling with it.

Yeah, but none of these fader boxen are a good substitute for drawbars.

Drawbars have handles. They are close together. They move easier than sliders, and are easier to manipulate by the handful. They increase in value as you pull them towards you.

Moe

---

Well it will leave me short by one drawbar per group but I'm setting up a Korg Kaoss KP3 as a virtual drawbar controller for B4 among other things. Cost may be prohibitive if it's just drawbars you're looking for and these aren't even real. The KP3 is a programmable 8x8 XY matrix under a touch pad so you "drag" instead of "pull" with an option to "hammer" on and off certain drawbar settings (something not possible with real drawbars). It's got a good midi implementation, has a bunch of interesting effects, ties to USB, and does one-shot phrase and loop sampling nicely.

Yeah, but none of these fader boxen are a good substitute for drawbars.

Drawbars have handles. They are close together. They move easier than sliders, and are easier to manipulate by the handful. They increase in value as you pull them towards you.

I agree, but sometimes compromises have to be made. I use mine to control the XK-System's lower manual drawbars so I can keep the XK-S in A#/B mode and use both sets for the upper manual.

I'm really after proper drawbars that you can grab a handful of and have that 'feel'. I'm amazed there's nothing like it for all the virtual organs and even for folk with keyboards like the electro. Somewhere around $150.

Archived