Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Matrix 1000 owners? need help with MIDI

loxley11

Hi all,

I'm trying to control my Matrix1000 from a motif es and don't know the MSB's and LSB's for a bank select with the Oberheim. I can get it to respond to a patch change up to 127, but can't get it to change banks automatically. I've played and programmed synths for quite a while now, but never needed MIDI beyond using a keyboard to trigger notes in a rack unit. Any knowledge would be appreciated!

Drew

P.S. I thought I saw somewhere that the Matrix1000 operates on the LSB only system, but this may not be the case.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what the owners manual has to say, but I'll be jiggered if I can make sense out of it. The Motif sends messages from 1-127, not hex.

Miscellaneous Matrix 1000 Commands:

Bank Select

F0H 7FH 02H 01H

F7H

= 7FH for all devices (including this one)

= (0-5) must match unit's ID

= Don't Care

= Don't Care

= Don't Care

= Don't Care

= bank to select(0-9)

= 0

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

I've owned a Matrix 1000 for the better part of 12 years, and I'm still not sure how to select banks via MIDI. However, I have found the "bank lock" feature to be very useful. Just select the desired bank and hit Bank Lock. Then you can use the usual 1 - 127 programs change commands within the selected bank - works like a charm. I don't use my matrix live, but if I did, I would move all of my performance patches to a single bank, then lock the bank and use standard MIDI program change commands.
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Seeing as the first 2 banks are RAM, why not just put all your programs in one of these, and then it's a simple matter of changing programs. Each bank holds 100 programs. If you have other synths this should be plenty. I have used mine since they first came out in the late 80's and have never used more than one bank in performing with 4 different types of groups at the same time. This would save the hassles of trying to change banks. Moving sounds around is quite simple, and any sound replaced is located in the ROM banks somewhere. Though it claims 1000 sounds, it ships with 800, and the RAM banks are duplicates.

Just a thought.

Jay

The M-1000 came out before Bank Select was implemented.

I did find this, though:

In the Matrix-1000 manual, Page 19, it states that, the Bank Select can be selected by either sending a Max Vibrato (CC#01) followed by a Program Change, so it changes the Bank (the 0.xx to 9.xx) while additional Program Change selects the 00-99 programs in that bank.

It also states that, Midi Controller #31 can do this, acting as the BANK LOCK on/Off switch.

This is what I've used to get all the 1000 patches.

http://www.cykong.com/CubaseSX/SXpanels.htm

Archived