Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

LA guitar quartet, wow.

Gruupi

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, they are some of the best. Bill Kanengiser (the guy that posted that on YouTube) is a member of the quartet, and probably one of the most underrated guitar players in the Universe. The guy is amazing.

Andy York (far left and the arranger of that particular Tchaikovsky piece) has left the group recently and was replaced by Matt Greif. He (York) has a couple of outstanding albums out, A Perfect Sky and Denoument...most definitely worth a listen.

The heavyset fellow is Scott Tenant (of Pumping Nylon fame).

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Great performers, definitely. Tennant is nothing short of outstanding. Kanengiser's tone, live, is absolutely beautiful.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Ah, I didn't know Andrew York left the group. In my opinion he is the only contemporary composer for guitar that I can really get into. "Sunburst" in particular is as good a piece as ever written for guitar. Its on my list of tunes to learn if I ever get good enough, it has a few techniques that would be new to me.

I own a copy of "Pumping Nylon", a little slow to watch but some great info. I just rented Kanengiser's Hot Licks video, I was very impressed by how well he presented the material. I had seen him in concert awhile back and he seemed a little stiff and tense.

I haven't seen LAGQ live yet, but every time I have seen a duo or quartet I am blown away by the sound. Recordings don't really capture the tones at all. I saw Sapphire last year, and left feeling good all over. They mixed in some other instruments (steel strings, little high pitched guitars and big low pitched ones) and the range of tones was mind blowing.

Archived