Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!!

Greetings. I just wanted to put my stuff out there and get some feedback. I have 3 tracks at mp3.com - I did these a couple of years ago. [url=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/106/james_theobald.html]my old stuff[/url] My playing has become more rhythmic since then... I play lead on a friend's project at: [url=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/96/joe_duran.html]Silent People[/url] On "Eskimo Schism" I play the leads at the beginning and the end - my apprentice, Travis, plays lead on the same rig. I also play trumpet and a few other instruments. Thanks!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by macle96@yahoo.com: [b]The ELO thing is always funny. At first, when people said that, I was kinda :eek: ! just cuz ELO seems to have a not so great reputation. I still haven't really checked out their stuff, but I've read interviews with John Lennon where he says he likes them, and calls them "son of Walrus", so they must be alright! :) [/b][/quote] ELO is... ELO. :) Obviously, they're a pretty polarizing band for a lot of folks. I haven't heard all of their albums, but my favorite is [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1283333114/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=ELECTRIC+LIGHT+ORCHESTRA/itemid=317347]Out of the Blue[/url] ... If you can get past the really inane lyrics, there's lots of superb melodies, arrangements, and productions on that album. In particular, I think "Mr. Blue Sky" is a perfect pop classic (It sounds like the Beatles song they never wrote).

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b] ELO is... ELO. :) Obviously, they're a pretty polarizing band for a lot of folks. I haven't heard all of their albums, but my favorite is [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1283333114/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=ELECTRIC+LIGHT+ORCHESTRA/itemid=317347]Out of the Blue[/url] ... If you can get past the really inane lyrics, there's lots of superb melodies, arrangements, and productions on that album. In particular, I think "Mr. Blue Sky" is a perfect pop classic (It sounds like the Beatles song they never wrote).[/b][/quote] I've been checking them out. Lots of great songs. I haven't heard Mr.Blue Sky yet. Some of their stuff is a bit too disco sounding for me, but I guess that was the time. I really like Can't Get It Out Of My Head, and another one off their first one, can't remember the name, but the backing is mainly cellos, kinda avante-garde sounding, which was really cool. Plus, I really like the stuff Jeff Lynne did with The Beatles (Free As A Bird and Real Love), and Flaming Pie, etc., so I take the ELO thing as a great compliment. (Speaking of Randy Newman, he's got a song called The Story Of A RocknRoll Band which is a parody of ELO. Great song.) I also checked out The Zombies. Lots of great songs and sounds. Kinda wish it was 1968, music scene-wise! :) Thanks again, and looking forward to your next song, which must be nearly done! Macle

[quote]Originally posted by macle96@yahoo.com: [b] Thanks again, and looking forward to your next song, which must be nearly done! [/b][/quote] Thanks -- It's almost ready to go (crosses fingers :D )... [ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: popmusic ]

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b] Thanks -- It's almost ready to go (crosses fingers :D )... [ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: popmusic ][/b][/quote] Alright! Btw, did you get a chance to listen on your good speakers. Just wondering how it translated. Also, even though I'm greatly influenced by The Beatles, and love that old sound, I still want "The Buzz Is Over" to sound modern, like 2002. Is that coming across? Would still love feedback from anyone and everyone, btw, if you get a chance!! Thanks. http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/3songs Thanks, Macle

[quote]Originally posted by Sjonesmusic: [b]Anyone have a chance to listen to my stuff yet?[/b][/quote] OK, found the MP3s. Your cover of No More Mr. Nice Guy was a trip! Kind of a Black Sabbath meets King Crimson meets Alan Holdsworth techno beat thing. However you took such liberties with the arrangement, sans vox etc, that it bore little if any resemblance to the Alice Cooper original. But, so what - a tribute is a tribute and I'm a big fan of Mr. Cooper's older work. I think real drums would sound cooler for the genre, but I have a tough time liking fake drums - your site says you play drums (not to mention - OK, it was mentioned - bass, guitar, keys and vox), so I figure you were going for that sound. RedSand was also pretty cool - those were the only two I have a chance to check out for now. Wow - photos, drawings, music, a review in recording mag. - this site is quite a shrine.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

[quote]Originally posted by stevepow: [b] OK, found the MP3s. Your cover of No More Mr. Nice Guy was a trip! Kind of a Black Sabbath meets King Crimson meets Alan Holdsworth techno beat thing. However you took such liberties with the arrangement, sans vox etc, that it bore little if any resemblance to the Alice Cooper original. But, so what - a tribute is a tribute and I'm a big fan of Mr. Cooper's older work. I think real drums would sound cooler for the genre, but I have a tough time liking fake drums - your site says you play drums (not to mention - OK, it was mentioned - bass, guitar, keys and vox), so I figure you were going for that sound. RedSand was also pretty cool - those were the only two I have a chance to check out for now. Wow - photos, drawings, music, a review in recording mag. - this site is quite a shrine.[/b][/quote] "No More Mr Nice Guy" wasn't a cover, not even close, it was totally original and only bears the same title...I just named it that in a moment of tongue and cheek, because I have a reputation for kindness... Uh, thanks though... :) Oh and the "shrine" comment...I think I read you the wrong way on that, in the other thread, if you meant no sarcasm...sorry... :( Peace, and thanks for listening... Scott

Popmusic, I loved "North Star"! Your writing has so much character and infectious harmony, melody and textural diversity, all of which I'm a big fan of... What do you use for recording? A really clean mix, everything was perfectly placed... I only wish I could've heard the whole thing... Truly great stuff... Thanks for sharing it... Peace, Scott

[quote]Originally posted by Sjonesmusic: [b]Popmusic, I loved "North Star"! Your writing has so much character and infectious harmony, melody and textural diversity, all of which I'm a big fan of... What do you use for recording?[/b][/quote] Thanks, Scott! I've got a relatively low tech setup... I'm running an old version of Cubase on Windows 95 with an Audiomedia III card. I've got an old Mackie (non-VLZ) 1202 mixer, a couple of signal processors, and a few mics (Rode NTK, SM57, AKG C535, and an ElectroVoice dynamic mic -- forgot the model #). I'm recording and mixing in mono, no autotune, no punching, comping, or editing (although I do mute segments of tracks and edit entire mixes together). It's not the easiest or most efficient way to work, but I'm hoping to become a better musician by playing what I want when I'm tracking, not by fixing things through editing or from messing around too much with the mix. [quote]Originally posted by Sjonesmusic: [b]I only wish I could've heard the whole thing... [/b][/quote] Did the whole file not download for you? Are you on a high speed internet connection? (I've had some problems in the past with my web host not delivering complete files...) I haven't had a chance yet to check out your stuff, Scott -- I'm on a slow 28.8 dialup at home, but when I have some free time at work (where I have a fast connection), I'll check it out... Being that you have so many songs on your web page, is there any particular recording you'd recommend, given that you probably have somewhat of an idea of the kind of stuff that I like? Thanks again for the comments!

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b] I finally checked it out on my NS-10s... It sounds great. The only thing I would consider changing is perhaps bringing up the lead vocal on the first verse (it's just a tad quiet). Otherwise, the production and engineering is impeccable. Great job! BTW, are you using a real piano, or is that the Gigasampler again?[/b][/quote] Thanks for checking that out (thought i was sort of pushing my luck there!) That, unfortunately, is the Gigasampler piano. I've got a real piano, an old upright thing that is horribly out of tune, and many of the keys are broken (real important ones, too!). But that's great you had to ask! I know you've got great ears, so the Gigapiano must sound pretty real. It's the best sampled piano I've heard so far, but I still hope to one day get a decent real piano. Thanks again for all you're feedback, greatly appreciated. Macle

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b] Did the whole file not download for you? Are you on a high speed internet connection? (I've had some problems in the past with my web host not delivering complete files...) I haven't had a chance yet to check out your stuff, Scott -- I'm on a slow 28.8 dialup at home, but when I have some free time at work (where I have a fast connection), I'll check it out... Being that you have so many songs on your web page, is there any particular recording you'd recommend, given that you probably have somewhat of an idea of the kind of stuff that I like? Thanks again for the comments![/b][/quote] Yeah, after the breakdown and change in the middle, it started to go somewhere else, then "blip", out like a light... :( Uh, as far as what you should listen to... On my MP3 page, each song is sort of described with a stylistic label... You might like "Get it Together"... But they are all different... Thanks... Scott

[quote]Originally posted by macle96@yahoo.com: [b]Thanks for checking that out (thought i was sort of pushing my luck there!)[/b][/quote] Nah -- I had it on a CD-RW but hadn't gotten around to listening to it where my DAW is because I was working on a mix (which I *think* I'm done with, but I'll have to live with it for a while before I know for sure)... [quote]Originally posted by macle96@yahoo.com: [b]That, unfortunately, is the Gigasampler piano.[/b][/quote] It sounds very "produced". It works well in keeping with the modern vibe you wanted to have on the recording.

[quote]Originally posted by Sjonesmusic: [b]Yeah, after the breakdown and change in the middle, it started to go somewhere else, then "blip", out like a light... :( [/b][/quote] Dang! :( I may need to call my web host about this... :mad: Do you have a high speed connection to the internet, or a dialup?

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b] Dang! :( I may need to call my web host about this... :mad: Do you have a high speed connection to the internet, or a dialup?[/b][/quote] I was on dial-up this morning...at 115200 though, not a crawl, not high speed either...

[quote]Originally posted by macle96@yahoo.com: [b]Would love some feedback on a new tune called The Buzz Is Over. I'd like to think I'm improving mix-wise, but I think the high end may seem harsh, among other things...anyway, all opinions welcome, good and bad. http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/3songs Hopefully, the download will work. Thanks very much, Macle [ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: macle96@yahoo.com ][/b][/quote] Macle, I just listened to "The Buzz Is Over", and I gotta say, WOW! It's such a well written song... I'm hearing your Beatles influence for sure, but no concern about the newer sound, it's there...! Yeah, you really would have fit into the 1968 music scene, but anymore, this sound is very well received... I really liked the mix, I liked the chords a ton! Very cool progression and variations within... And your use of space in the breaks between sections is excellent... The Bridge and your entrance into it were really fantastic... Not to mention how you got out of it with the brief instrumental section...really liked the distorted guitar riff at the end of it... Your outro was an unexpected and nice surprise... Outstanding!! Peace, Scott

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b][b]Ok, I've made a web page where I've put up some of the things I tried to get going this past year. Things that ended up going nowhere. [/b] The audio quality of everything sucks. None of this was meant to be heard by other humans; all of the playing is just "this is where something should go". What I'd like feedback on would be: "was any of this interesting at all"? What should I be concentrating on, direction/style wise do you think? I'm completely adrift at the moment. What's on the web page is just a smattering of projects I was involved with this year, but it illustrates that I'm pretty diverse - maybe too diverse - and my rudder is broke. I could do any of the following genres and be happy, to me it's all just "music", but what makes sense? [url=http://www.mp3.com/mindbuffer]www.mp3.com/mindbuffer[/url] I'm doing my acoustic thing still, but I prefer to play electric! Note that I do a lot of other stuff, this just is what I grabbed the other day at random. If anyone bothers, thanks...[/b][/quote] Well, Chip... You already know how I feel about your playing! You're a great player, and I'm really glad to have run into you... Massiveslack- I wish there was more to hear of this one...it just got going and then it cut out... :( It's really more closely called acid jazz, I would think...great chordal stuff, and the drum groove is so tight, it sounds like a loop, or loop and a live player... Very cool... BTW, I just listened to your Border's Jam, and it mentions that it's acoustic... Your guitar sounds great...not entirely acoustic, a little hybrid-ish... I wanted to ask if you've ever listened to Austin's Monte Montgomery... I think you resemble his acoustic playing, which is GOOD! Anyway, nice jams... Scott [url=http://www.scottjonesmusic.com]www.scottjonesmusic.com[/url]

[quote]Originally posted by sagov@bellatlantic.net: [b] [url=http://mp3.com/Stanley_Sagov]mp3.com/Stanley_Sagov[/url] I have a few new pieces..avant Bop type blues,a rerun of the Rhythm changes..and would love reactions..(even honest and constructively critical!!) ;) [ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: sagov@bellatlantic.net ][/b][/quote] Stanley, Great playing! A little Cecil Taylor on "Fast But Not Furious" A little Creed Taylor production on "Fusion Bass Jerky" Sounded like Paul Motian playing drums with Don Pullen on piano on "Blooz in 12/8"...you know, just kind of falling of a cliff, but right there when it comes back around, egde of disaster, but totally in control...kind of thing... All MIDI studio? So how are doing the parts? Especially the free-jazz stuff... You managed to really capture the free elements in that environment... So your main instrument is piano? The guitar is what I wandered about... Anyway, thanks for sharing your music... Peace, Scott Jones Here's a tune of mine, where I sequenced all the instruments... [url=http://www.scottjonesmusic.com/aufiles/comp-fusion/Track04.ram]From Nothing[/url] -STREAMING [url=http://www.scottjonesmusic.com]www.scottjonesmusic.com[/url]

I've never posted any of my stuff... I've been around here for over a year, so I've got no excuses. Well, I'm finally going to take the plunge. One of our clients has some stuff online, and here's the link: http://www.johnmcgill.com/cd.html It's all streaming (RA - sorry!) except for the first song - "Isn't Enough" which should have a MP3 link (although it may not be working yet). I'd recommend the first three cuts - "Isn't Enough", "Entangled" and "Blue Angel". The entire first song is on there, and just parts of the others... I play here and there on the album (some guitars, slide, some keyboards) and by wife Sandy does some BGV's (best example is "So Cleverly Beverly" - she did all the BGV's and the BGV arrangement). Okay folks, blast away! ;) [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com [ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: pokeefe777@msn.com ]

[quote]Originally posted by Sjonesmusic: [b]Anyone have a chance to listen to my stuff yet?[/b][/quote] hello Scott, I just listened to "I offer my life" and "No More Mr. Nice guy" (cable modem if you were curious.) "I offer my life" was pretty cool. The song as a whole got me tapping my foot. Sounds like it would be good theme music for a T.V. show. "No More MR.Nice guy" had some NICE guitar and some cool riffs. As its playing now, I'm enjoying the guitar whaling even more than the first pass. If I had to offer any criticism it would be that, the drum beats you used in 'Nice Guy," dont really go anywhere. It kind of sounds like someone who doesnt normally play heavy music, because someone who does, would have given it proper heavy drum beats.To someone who doesnt enjoy soloing, the song will seem to drag. But I love great guitar playing and I enjoyed it. Also the sound quality could be better, but I think that might be because of the 64kbs thing, and that crappy real player requirement. You have a very nice website, and all in all, I enjoyed your music, and your playing.I listened to each song a few times. (you may want to consider changing the name because, the Alice Cooper song is great and thats what I thought it was going to be) not that your song isn't. I'll check out some more soon. peace. [url=http://www.mp3.com/samicide]www.mp3.com/samicide[/url] [ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: B. SABBATH ]

[quote]Originally posted by Sjonesmusic: [b] Macle, I just listened to "The Buzz Is Over", and I gotta say, WOW! It's such a well written song... I'm hearing your Beatles influence for sure, but no concern about the newer sound, it's there...! Yeah, you really would have fit into the 1968 music scene, but anymore, this sound is very well received... I really liked the mix, I liked the chords a ton! Very cool progression and variations within... And your use of space in the breaks between sections is excellent... The Bridge and your entrance into it were really fantastic... Not to mention how you got out of it with the brief instrumental section...really liked the distorted guitar riff at the end of it... Your outro was an unexpected and nice surprise... Outstanding!! Peace, Scott[/b][/quote] Hey Scott, thanks very much!! I'm glad you noticed the chords, cuz at first, they were completely basic, and I was sort of confused about the direction of the song, it was sounding more typically "alternative", but then my girlfriend said, well change it, do it how you want, so I messed around with the chords, putting in those little variations, and then the whole thing started falling into place. I'll check out your's soon. I know you've got a lot of stuff, and I noticed you recommended "Get It Together" to popmusic, so I'll probably check out that one (for the most part, I think we have pretty similar tastes.) Thanks very much for checking out the song, and all your comments are greatly appreciated!!!! :D Macle

[quote]I've never posted any of my stuff... I've been around here for over a year, so I've got no excuses. Well, I'm finally going to take the plunge. One of our clients has some stuff online, and here's the link: http://www.johnmcgill.com/cd.html It's all streaming (RA - sorry!) except for the first song - "Isn't Enough" which should have a MP3 link (although it may not be working yet).[/quote] Phil, I checked out "Isn't Enough"...really great feel, I like the way it isn't married to any one genre. Nice production...love the guitar fills throughout. The only thing that really stuck out to me was the lack of a solid ending...I get criticized for this all the time...it just seemed to die instead of "ok, THE END" if you know what I mean. Pleasure listening to this...I'm going to play it again now.

[quote]Originally posted by B. SABBATH: [b] hello Scott, I just listened to "I offer my life" and "No More Mr. Nice guy" (cable modem if you were curious.) "I offer my life" was pretty cool. The song as a whole got me tapping my foot. Sounds like it would be good theme music for a T.V. show. "No More MR.Nice guy" had some NICE guitar and some cool riffs. As its playing now, I'm enjoying the guitar whaling even more than the first pass. If I had to offer any criticism it would be that, the drum beats you used in 'Nice Guy," dont really go anywhere. It kind of sounds like someone who doesnt normally play heavy music, because someone who does, would have given it proper heavy drum beats.To someone who doesnt enjoy soloing, the song will seem to drag. But I love great guitar playing and I enjoyed it. Also the sound quality could be better, but I think that might be because of the 64kbs thing, and that crappy real player requirement. You have a very nice website, and all in all, I enjoyed your music, and your playing.I listened to each song a few times. (you may want to consider changing the name because, the Alice Cooper song is great and thats what I thought it was going to be) not that your song isn't. I'll check out some more soon. peace. [url=http://www.mp3.com/samicide]www.mp3.com/samicide[/url] [ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: B. SABBATH ][/b][/quote] Hey bro, thanks for listening... The quality is in the file type for sure...much better on C.D. And the "No More Mr. Nice Guy" stuff: I literally wrote and recorded that in just under 2 hours...so, I wasn't really going for totally interesting drums, it was truly a tongue-in-cheek tune, with the title as much tongue-in-cheek to poke fun at my usual reputation for niceness...and musically, for the sole purpose of going for the Ty Tabor guitar tone... Here's a tune of mine: I sequenced all the instruments and really paid attention to my drum programming, no guitar on this one though... [url=http://www.scottjonesmusic.com/aufiles/comp-fusion/Track02.ram]One[/url] -STREAMING [url=http://www.scottjonesmusic.com/aufiles/mp3/One-fusion-sequence.mp3]One[/url] -MP3 Again, thanks for listening! I've gotta go check YOUR music out this week... Peace, Scott [url=http://www.scottjonesmusic.com]www.scottjonesmusic.com[/url]

Scott, I listened to Get It Together. The production, the song, the singer, everything, sounds totally pro to me. Would fit right in on the radio with, well, there are so many radio categories, AC pop? The lead singer reminds me of Lisa Loeb, my girlfriend said Alana Davis. Very pro. The effect on the vocal at the beginning is cool, and very effective was the part a little more than half way, where the mood changes a little, and those flanged type guitars or whatever it is, come in to create an ominous type sound. Did you produce, write, and record this yourself? Though this isn't really my thing, I think you did a really great job!! Macle

[quote]Originally posted by macle96@yahoo.com: [b]Scott, I listened to Get It Together. The production, the song, the singer, everything, sounds totally pro to me. Would fit right in on the radio with, well, there are so many radio categories, AC pop? The lead singer reminds me of Lisa Loeb, my girlfriend said Alana Davis. Very pro. The effect on the vocal at the beginning is cool, and very effective was the part a little more than half way, where the mood changes a little, and those flanged type guitars or whatever it is, come in to create an ominous type sound. Did you produce, write, and record this yourself? Though this isn't really my thing, I think you did a really great job!! Macle[/b][/quote] Hey there, Thank you, first of all, for checking out the tune...! Yes I did produce, play, program and engineer it, and co-wrote it with the singer, Mindy Howell... We wrote the song in about 15 minutes (she came in with the lyrics and melody) and recorded it in about 5 hours...all done in ProTools, using the Karma, my Taylor Acoustic, and my POD for the electric parts... Again, thanks for taking the time to check it out... Peace, Scott

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b] Phil, I checked out "Isn't Enough"...really great feel, I like the way it isn't married to any one genre. Nice production...love the guitar fills throughout. The only thing that really stuck out to me was the lack of a solid ending...I get criticized for this all the time...it just seemed to die instead of "ok, THE END" if you know what I mean. Pleasure listening to this...I'm going to play it again now.[/b][/quote] Thanks for listening Steve, and for the comments - good AND bad. They're appreciated! [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Scott -- Sorry that it's taken so long, but I finally got a chance to listen to some of your tunes... I listened to "Get It Together", "No More Mr. Nice Guy", and "If You Lose Your Way". All three songs sound very professional and well-produced (at least, that's what it sounded like on my crappy mono computer speakers! :) ). "Get It Together" and "If You Lose Your Way" remind me of a mellow Fiona Apple or Sarah McLachlan. "No More Mr. Nice Guy" didn't sound like what I was expecting based on the previous posts on this thread (I expected it to be more techno sounding rather than guitar rock), but it's obvious from listening to it that you know what you know what you're doing with production as well as on the guitar. Beyond the good production, I'm not sure how qualified I am to comment on the musical or songwriting end of things, since I don't usually listen to Fiona Apple-type or guitar solo-heavy music. I'm sure others who are more informed about those styles of music will be willing to jump in and critique it, though. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for listening too. :)

Here's a new tune by my band Big Sky. It's called Remembering the Vision: http://www.bigskyrocks.com/mp3s/remvision.mp3 Still gonna add some bu vox and tweak the verbs, etc., but it's almost there. Thanks, Steve Sklar [ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Steve Sklar ]

hi everyone...HHHHHEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP i need another set of ears to listen to a track i am mixing and as i'm kinda in to deep i am having a hard time being objective :rolleyes: any and all feedback would be apreciated here is a direct download [url=http://www.therecordindustry.com/uploads/soulcomunication.mp3]soul comunication[/url] thanks

SpaceBass My first impression was that the rhythm section has too much mids sucked out of it. The drums, bass and RTM GTR are too scooped, and when there aren't any vocals happening, the track sounds a little weak. Put some mids back in, then you might try submixing everything but the Vocals, run that through a frequency keyable compressor, and trigger the key off of the Vocal Sub group somewhere around 200Hz-600Hz. When I use this kind of trick, it's a VERY slight compression (no more than 3 db) with a relly fast attack and medium release. The trick is to get the release right so you don't hear it. And to my ear, the lead GTR is way too hot. My $.02 Frank

Archived