Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mentors

Eric Iverson

I am about to send a tape collage of nice blues tunes to a guy that mentored me a lot back when I was 16 and he was 25. He helped me a LOT, mostly by teaching me Beatles tunes and other things from that era; he had been in a lot of bands doing that material.

We've kept in touch over the years, until recently anyway, and he's sent me jazz charts and what not. Since he lives in Ankeny Iowa and I live in NYC, it's pretty hard to get together and play in real time! Where is Star Trek technology when you need it!

Do any of you guys have people who mentored you when you were starting out? And do any of you keep in touch with them?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My uncle helped me and my brother out quite a bit when I was starting out. He showed us the pentatonic (blues) scale and we would just jam on a 12 bar blues in whatever key. He never really showed us how to do anything particular with the scale, but in doing so, he really helped me learn to improvise, especially blues. I remember him saying something along the lines of "just play along to the rhythm with the notes in the scale." I still have a hard time copping solos as far as covers go, but I can improvise and solo along with just about anything. We still get together & play ocassionally at family functions & such. He, more than anything, taught me the basics, and taught me how to teach myself...if that makes any sense.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Do any of you guys have people who mentored you when you were starting out? And do any of you keep in touch with them?

Oh God, yes. My playing is the product of hundreds of people's input over the years. And not just guitar guys, I learnt a lot from hanging out with roadies, too. When I was a teenager, I used to like crashing rehearsal rooms and just watching the bands rehearse, and I always ask luthiers a zillion questions too. WAY too many people to mention have mentored me.

I haven't kept in touch with any of them, really. I've moved around too much, and in a pre-internet world. Sometimes I like to google people, but often I only knew them by their first name or even by a nickname, when I even knew their names at all. So there's not much hope there.

Archived