Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Test Drive Reflections

lowerhodes

Over the past week I had the rare opportunity to sit down undisturbed with a few boards that I was curious about, most notably a Yamaha Motif XS8, Korg Oasys and a Kurzweil PC1se . It should be noted that I did not look into, nor do I care the least about, sequencing, sampling, USB interface, arpeggiators etc. I am one of those horrible dinosaurs who only cares about what it sounds like. That said, while I quite liked the Kurz (easy to use, inexpensive, very usable sounds) I was quite underwhelmed by the Oasys. IMHO the sounds were not bad but not particularly better than or even as good as a number of it's competitors. My judgement may, however, be influenced by the massive price tag. The Motif XS didn't really seem like an advance over the ES as far as I could tell either. That's not to say I think that's bad because I like the Motif / S series stuff anyway but I hoped for better sounds. Does anyone else share these views? Is the evolution of these kinds of boards based mainly on functionality now as opposed to sounds? Or do I have too much time on my hands?
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Over the past week I had the rare opportunity to sit down undisturbed with a few boards that I was curious about, most notably a Yamaha Motif ES8, Korg Oasys and a Kurzweil PC1se . It should be noted that I did not look into, nor do I care the least about, sequencing, sampling, USB interface, arpeggiators etc. I am one of those horrible dinosaurs who only cares about what it sounds like. That said, while I quite liked the Kurz (easy to use, inexpensive, very usable sounds) I was quite underwhelmed by the Oasys. IMHO the sounds were not bad but not particulary better than or even as good as a number of it's competitors. My judgement may, however, be influenced by the massive price tag. The Motif XS didn't really seem like an advance over the ES as far as I coule tell either. That's not to say I think that's bad because I like the Motif / S series stuff anyway but I hoped for better sounds. Does anyone else share these views? Is the evolution of these kinds of boards based mainly on functionality now as opposed to sounds? Or do I have too much time on my hands?

You may have opened Pandoras Box here. So my position will be :snax:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Lowerhodes:

I could very well be that we hit the ceiling on the sound quality of sample playback hardware. Its been said that many software programs trump hardware in terms of the number of velocity switches these samples utilize compared to hardware. Often to the point of being unable to detect any velocity switching, unless you're superman. The guy that sells Kurzweil (can't remember his handle) that posts on this site said something like "How good can samples be" when someone asked him about the new unit they are bringing out utilizing dated samples.

As far as the XS, what it has over the ES8 is not worth me spending more money on. I never upgrade to the next generation anyway. I think there have been improvements (such as the piano sample) over the ES8, but Yamaha in its infinite wisdom, eliminated step recording from its sequencer. They are hell bent on getting players to use a computer for sequencing, and there are people like me are hell bent on NOT using one to make sequences of rock songs. To me, its like using an atomic bomb to destroy an ant hill.

In conclusion, I agree with your statements. Functionality and computer integration are the way workstations are going, along with customers like me that want self contained workstations that sound great and don't require an MBA to operate.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I tried out an XS a few weeks ago while waiting for the paperwork on a new amp to be ready. While I thought the guitars were nice, I didn't have a "where have you been all my life" moment.

Still happy with my S80.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Does anyone else share these views? Is the evolution of these kinds of boards based mainly on functionality now as opposed to sounds? Or do I have too much time on my hands?

Taste is in the ear of the beholder. There's a lot of debate in the archives about the OASYS in particular. I agree that the Kurzweils' samples sound good for bread and butter sounds, especially live. A pretty big chunk of the OASYS investment is based on modelling in addition to samples, where the benefits are somewhat in sound-design and live control. With modelling, certain sounds may not be sonically more attractive than samples, but will respond more musically to parameter tweakage.

The attractiveness of these keyboards for different people will depend on what they use them for. Hope you found one you liked.

Jerry

The Motif XS didn't really seem like an advance over the ES as far as I could tell either. That's not to say I think that's bad because I like the Motif / S series stuff anyway but I hoped for better sounds. Does anyone else share these views?

+1 :thu:

Despite the fact that I just got my ES8, I have played one and the XS8 enough to know that I'm not missing anything substantial.

Is the evolution of these kinds of boards based mainly on functionality now as opposed to sounds?

I believe that is true. The sounds are getting a little better but functionality is the selling point IMO.

Taste is in the ear of the beholder.

The attractiveness of these keyboards for different people will depend on what they use them for.

There it is in black, white and beige. Gotta test drive them in order to know. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived