Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S Wonder - Too High bass tips needed

hardbop200

Hello,

I've been searching high and low (not just this forum, but the internet) for some suggestions on how to get Stevie's bass sound on the track Too High. I *love* that sound, and must get it. I've done a lot of picking around at it, but I can't ever seem to get it close. Specifically, I'm hearing a slight "wow" in the filter on each note, but I could be wrong. I'm also making some assumptions that could be wrong - for example, I'm assuming that he is using two or more sawtooth osc. Beyond that, my ear completely fails me.

I'm using Linux tools, so I don't expect anyone to give me a "click here-" type of tutorial, but rather, "you need two oscillators, both saw, etc." type of thing. It seems that the filter is the magic in this sound, so any advice on that would also be very much appreciated, and would help me get some sleep. :)

Thanks all,

Josh

Josh

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a simple patch to make on an analogue synth. Two VCOs tuned in close unison for a detuned sound.

Four pole filter, I've gotten it best on a SSM 2040 filter type like a rev 1 Prophet or MOTM 440 filter. Resonance to taste and add an AD envelope sweep to the filter, no attack and half or more second of decay.

Tune the filter so that it doesn't get too bright at the top of the filter sweep, and there it is.

Add glide (exp if possible) to the mono keyboard signal.

Moe

---

Archived