Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why do we play music?

That's what this thread is about, "Why do we play?" And I'm not just talking about "Man, its how I express myself" or "Music is how I make money." I'm thinking deeper than that, other than the sheer fun of it and the learning, do we jam together for some other reasons, like camaraderie, or having a sense of being part of a large family (a couple terms that comes to mind is "Brothers of the Bass" "Bottomfeeders", etc as terms for bassists). So what do you think? Discuss amongst yourselves: [img]http://www.movieclub.com/spotlight/myers/coffee.jpg[/img]

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We play music because we are all connected to it. It is intertwined with our souls. It speaks words we can't say with words. Well, first of all, music is a gift from God. It is a voice that no human can speak. It pierces all time and space, and it transpires through different realms, beyond our humanly realm. We can see, hear, touch, smell, feel, and think; but music surpasses that; as a mysterious wavoring of sounds colliding together. We speak with our toungues, but music speaks through our souls. Enough of explaining music. We [i]play[/i] together, usually because we want other people to experience the joy(and sometimes pain) with us. We like to share ideas on everything. Just as chess club members hang out with other chess club members, we find people who enjoy the same things and explore that. We love to indulge ourselves in experinecing the magic of playing that perfect note on that perfect rhythm. We see ourselves, and experience unspoken truths while playing a favorite tune. We do it, because music has touched us. -JDL

At 13 years of age I was at a buddy's house. He plugged in an electric bass and said "hey, check this out". I played the bass, it was the coolest thing! I bought an electric guitar the following week. 25 years later I still feel the same way. All the rest of the crap is just superficial!

Just the sound of a B3 I can't get enough of. Going thru the motions of pushing all those keys, sliding those drawbars, expression pedal pumping, Leslie twirling, church jumping. Hallelujah. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Why do we breathe air? Doc

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

Why do we breathe air? Doc

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

I completely agree with JDL. I play music because I can't imagine not playing music. It's such an integral part of my life that I can't fathom not playing or listening or seeing concerts. I do it for various reasons too. As Brendan said, I love the camaraderie that comes from multiple brains and hearts connecting on the same wavelength and just creating beautiful art. Other times it's a form of catharsis, to express what I don't feel I can through any other media. Yet at others it's a learning process. David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I have been making music ever since I was a kid. I just did'nt have a reference point till now.. I got on the radio when I was eight or nine(telling a joke I had made up) and I knew I was gonna be on the radio again. I have been. yeah local and college stations yet my tunes have been BEAMED out into the ether and picked up and listened to and I have touched folkes all around the GLOBE I have never met. More EVERY DAY. stats say so.. . I cannot draw or dance nor am I a mechanical minded person. I am unable to work with wood or clay or paints or most other mediums. I do my ART with sounds and tones and words.. I "can" write a story and set it to music. It ain't the greatest or the ONLY music I know.. I ain't ever been to school for music.. I don't know theory or modes or even a lot of scales.. I do have a song or two.. Don't matter if I use "the HAMBONE",(Get on the stump! a honky tonk, ain't got nothin' on this wonky wonk!) a kids recorder(flute) or guitar or pianner or even mandolin or UKE. I can take nothing, dead air if you will and breathe LIFE into it. Might look like FRANKENSTEIN yet I create something NEW and FRESH. I am mostly useless.. YET, I had a whole houseful of folkes rockin the other night. "the music" got 'em sangin'out loud! Strangers! Sangin' out loud! Like church for the needy! We came "together" right then!(over the music)KOO KOO ka choo! ahahaha! we all had us some fun.. . ahahaha! I ain't quite useless to them. I like making SOMETHING out of NOTHING.. Why do I make music? because I CAN! . because I "have" to . So I ain't TOTALLY useless.. ahahaha! Thanks GOD!

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

[quote]Originally posted by Joachim P. Dyndale: [b] [quote]Originally posted by arellspencer: [b]I am mostly useless.. [/b][/quote]Correction! According to "The Guide" you are, as part of the human race, "mostly harmless". :D [/b][/quote]Which happens to be the name of a band I work with. "Mostly harmless".

I, too, agree with JDL. Playing music is praying, and sometimes, you get answers back! There's a relationship with the vibratory features within music, and the power intersecting ith our beings (body, mind, spirit) that releases levels of communication unknown in any other media. A Bb CHORD CANNOT LIE! Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

I don't play music that much other than CDs, mp3s, cassettes, radio, etc., but I do create it now and then, and the reason for that is that I like what I do and I'm the only one doing it so if I want to here it I have to go in and whip some of it up.
You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

Archived