Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shopping... Carvin to GC... what a difference

Vistajohn

So, I'm looking for something a little easier to carry. I'm older, my car is smaller and I want to play louder. I live in San Diego area so I went to the Carvin Store. Nice stuff in my opinion. I looked at the bx1200 amp amd a box with 2-10s, the newer model BRX10.2NEO with 2 Neodymium 10" 300w speakers. They sounded great together. The size of the 2-10's is much smaller and easier for me to lift in my car. The store wasn't busy so I had full use of the bass room, (which is not always the case) the guys there were helpful and I could actually reach, play, any of the instruments I wanted to try out. Total cost of the above toys... About $975.00. Not today thank you ... but soon.

OK, Lets take a trip to G. Center, its on the way home, lets see what they have to offer.

I couldn't believe my eyes, or ears but there was the perverbal slapper, thumper sitting in the center of the entrance to the bass room. err... I walk around, lots of Beringer, Mark, GK heads, box's, but they all stacked on top of each other. If I wanted to pick up 2-10's I would have to move 3 speaker boxes to get to it. There is enough room for maybe 2 people to be in the room, never mind a sales person and all the basses need to be taken down with a pole! And this is a pretty big store. I'm not easily intimidated but this place is impossible to really shop for basses and equipment. I used to like this store. Bottom line, I don't think there are may stores that have people shopping for items around $1,000.00 that are made to feel as uncomfortable and turned off as GC.

PS> I have to say, I don't blame the salespeople, for the most part they are nice guys, it is definitly a management issue.

thats my 2C

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regrettably, I assisted a friend in buying his son his first bass and amp. We shopped at GC. I tried a local shop, but their inventory was a little low. Just as well, the kid had a very clear idea of what a bass should look like (black). We ended up leaving with a dark blue Ibanez and a Peavey 112 combo amp that didn't sound half bad. Grand total, a little over $400.

The instruments were all desperately in need of a set up. In fact I made (as in encouraged, then supervised) the sales guy do a quick set up before we left. All is well. My bud's son is actually practicing. Thankfully, since I am a friend of his father, I am not cool enough nor qualified enough to give him lessons.

Just wait until he's older.

I've had good experiences with Carvin's products and the salepeople I've talked to on the phone. Not sure if/where there is a GC in my area, but I'd say 90% of the shops I've been to make me feel like I have to prove I'm not an idiot before they give decent service. It's easy to shop for basses and amps though, maybe a dozen on the wall and your choice of Peavey or Ampeg cabs and amps.

I hate shopping like that--having to wade through stacks of boxes etc. to look at something like. I like the you made the point: there aren't many shopping experiences for people spending in the thousands that are that inconsiderate.

Mind you, I have had exactly the same experience at some mom & pop stores, too.

You're talking about the difference between Eddie Bauer and WalMart. GC is genera-land while Carvin, though growing daily, is still a boutique and they actually give a crap.

If I have time to waste I will duck into a GC and not only do I expect to be ignored by the sales staff, I prefer it. Once in awhile you run into someone that works there because they want to and that is always fun. Most of the time it is the same disinterested jerkoffs that are killing time or too stoned to give a rats where they work.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I wonder if this is a problem for bass players only or do you think G.Players feel the same way about this place? The GC that I go to has about 3 times the number of guitars as basses, all with easy access and lots of room to try out them out. Hmm... maybe they should stop selling basses at G.C. and start a B.C. "Bass Center" store? Something tells me they would still have crappy service :)

It's pretty common for stores to have WAY more guitars than basses. After all, they sell way more guitars than basses.

However, I have seen that some stores carry this to the point that they stop caring whether you can even really shop for basses there. The shop in Wichita (where I bought my Fender Jazz, btw) started stacking guitar amps in front of all their basses, in a tiny, tiny room. The result was that you almost couldn't reach or even see the basses, & even if you did, there was nowhere to sit with it. Plus, most of the time when you could find a bass amp to plug into, it wasn't plugged in. I finally just stopped going there.

I just don't want to buy my bass in some shop's sorry little Afterthought Cove.

Incidentally, GC has just moved into town, & frankly, it'll probably be better.

CARVIN --YEA!!! :thu:

Purchased a few things and have been very happy, the shipping thing is the toughest to swallow with any problems that might need to be addressed.

GC-- NNAAA :deadhorse:

I test drove a GK Backline112 and it was AWFUL. And the salesman sucked more! Lack of caring, store wasn't busy, no technical info about the amp at all. (And didn't even care to find out) Then tried to strong arm me into buying it.

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

There was one small shop that was the exception to the rule when it came to amount of stock for us fat stringers and customer service. Almost half of his wall space had basses and they all had good set ups. He had a Squier P-Bass that I ended up buying because of how well it was set up. Went back a few weeks later to see if the fretless Jazz was still there and he wasn't. Even though he had the big chain stores beat with customer service he couldn't compete. Now I have to go into one of the big stores and spend as much time searching for the salesperson who gives a rat's behind as I do finding the bass/amp I like. Or...I call Carvin, tell 'em what I want, and they're happy to answer a few questions and take my payment info.

You're talking about the difference between Eddie Bauer and WalMart. GC is genera-land while Carvin, though growing daily, is still a boutique and they actually give a crap.

If I have time to waste I will duck into a GC and not only do I expect to be ignored by the sales staff, I prefer it. Once in awhile you run into someone that works there because they want to and that is always fun. Most of the time it is the same disinterested jerkoffs that are killing time or too stoned to give a rats where they work.

Agreed, if GC only carried Hartke products, you would have plenty of room, and plenty of selection, as long as it was Hartke gear. Selection and room don't go hand and hand. Floor space costs big bucks to buy and maintain. All outlets have a niche, GC's is 'selection' (for key and drums also I believe), while Carvin's is 'service' to guitarists and bassists. I don't expect voluntary assistance when I go to Home Depot, I do when I go to Ace Hardware.

Your mileage may vary.

I had an especially bad CS experience with Carvin last year and will never be back.

It was like dealing with a clown college.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

As dcr said, I've had all kinds of experience in all kinds of stores. While I prefer to reward good behavior, sometimes I'll buy where it's cheapest and expect the service from the manufacturer (if needed).

There's a thread about Willie and myself shopping MarkBass at a GC in NYC. I did not wait for a sales person when we wanted to try a different combination of cabs or hear something side-by-side - I just moved what I wanted.

I agree that since bass sells less, it gets less space and consideration in many stores. Sometimes I just feel that prejudice, but if it's impossible to shop I won't bother.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tho' I do not think much of Carvin stuff, they are a bargain at the prices they ask (I really don't like the pointy headstocks...which they now seem to be losing). I am the house bassist at Buck Owens' Crystal Palace in Bakersfield CA, as such it is cool I don't have to bring my own amp to the gigs every week. Too bad their bass amp is a Carvin. It certainly is not the worst amp in the world, but really quite in contention.

Since they have been re-designing a number of their basses, they might want to take a good hard look at their amp line and throw down for a re-model.

I have heard very good things about their CS tho'...and that does count for something!

I try to avoid GC as much as possible. Altho' recently I went into a local GC to pick up a Bday gift for a friend (A Voodoo Labs Pedal Power, which I knew they carried). The salesperson, making small talk asked me what I played. I told him I was a bassist. He asked what I was playing. I told him that right now I have been playing a Turner. He looked a little dumbfounded and then told me that when I was ready to move up to a better bass they had some really "sweet" new Ibanez basses in stock.

I laughed so hard thought I was gonna break something.

Poor kid, I know he was just trying to do his job....but that is rather typical of GC. I have a friend who is a pro audio engineer who from time to time visits GCs just to hassle the "pro audio" folks with their obvious lack of knowledge...he calls it "sport".

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

...I have a friend who is a pro audio engineer who from time to time visits GCs just to hassle the "pro audio" folks with their obvious lack of knowledge...he calls it "sport"...

That cracks me up. Years ago I sold hifi gear at a locally owned specialty hifi store here in Nashville. A couple of us would occasionally stop in at our neighborhood Circuit City to wear-out the salespeople there in the same way for giggles.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

My one experience with Carvin has been more than positive. I bought one of their little battery powered 4 channel PA's with a 10" driver and horn. It sounds great and fills the purpose well. Their phone rep was knowlegable and the amp came to my door in just a few days. I've never been to a GC, but did go to a couple of Mars outlets when they were up and running. It's the first place I've seen a pocket trumpet, though the guy behind the counter did not seem to know too much about it, or (my impression) any wind instrument.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

My CS experience with Carvin was a total horror show.

I sent my Carvin bass to them for a rebuild (on my dime -- not a warranty job). Called six weeks later and was told they had lost the order.

Waited another six weeks, got the bass back, they had screwed up the rebuild.

Sent it back -- told them I didn't want it until it was right. They told me they would rebuild it again.

I waited another six weeks -- followed up, and they said they were able to fix it after all.

Got it back, still wasn't right, called them again -- they told me they weren't interested in helping me further.

Sold the bass. Won't be back.

Carvin? They're dead to me.

I wonder what would happen if you called GC in advance and talked to their manager. If you told them you had a decent budget and were considering purchasing a few new basses and a nice lightweight rig.

Would the manager help you out? Maybe pull a few 2x10's and heads out of the masses and have them waiting for you?

My guess is that you'd have to do a decent job of convincing him, maybe bend the truth about what you were interested in actually purchasing.

It might work, it might not.

Nutt,

From My experience the salespeople at my local GC were accomidating, when I could find one and engage them. My guess they would set up what I asked for. My problem is the space they allot to the Bass area is way too undersized. And, even if they set something up, if anyone else decided to shop never mind two or 3 people it would not work. When I buy an amp, head, combo, etc, I want an area that I can play with the equipment, play loud, soft, whatever. When I go to try out a bass, I don't want a salesperson to get one down with a pole, I think I should be able to take it off the wall myself and put it back again. Carvin still works for me. But, it is apples vs. oranges.

I've never been to a GC, but did go to a couple of Mars outlets when they were up and running. It's the first place I've seen a pocket trumpet, though the guy behind the counter did not seem to know too much about it, or (my impression) any wind instrument.

There's a reason Mars went out of buisness. Not to give GC anymore praise than they desirve, you could find 1 out of 3 or 4 people who knew some of what they are talking about.

I don't have the luxury of a Carvin store to shop at but look at the catalog often (drooling) and i'm weary about buying without tasting first. Basses look beautiful, but they seem to have a limited selection of bass amps. Does anyone have anything good to say about their amps? The price is nice.

When I go to try out a bass, I don't want a salesperson to get one down with a pole, I think I should be able to take it off the wall myself and put it back again.

Here, here!!!! :thu:

That really bugs me, I want to be left in peace to browse around, pick things up, have a play around without asking some guy to get the freekin keys out, to bring in the fork lift, so he can lift his work mate (who may or may not be on lunch at the moment) 300 ft in the air, to gently lower him down again via a cable, guided through laser alarm triggers, and armed tear gas canisters, to unlock the thing, bring it down, and hand it over.. Just so I can say.. "Nahhhh I dont like the headstock... How about the one which was hanging next to it?"

That's why I like the shop I go to -- Guitarhangar in Brookfield, CT. http://www.guitarhangar.com/

Friendly, laidback, and they know me when I walk in. Rick really knows and loves gear.

And while he may not have the inventory of a McGuitarCenterMart, he has a nice selection and will go out of his way to find what you're looking for.

He's also got the best set-up guy in the area working in his shop.

At Christmas, I take my wife's homemade cookies to four people -- my barber, my mechanic, my tire and brake guy, and Rick at the Guitarhangar.

I've got a Carvin Redline stack. Well, Kinda- I sold of the 2x10 cab a couple of years ago. Nice & light, but a bit too bright to me, even with the horn rolled off. I still have and like the Redline 1000 head; lots of bells & whistles, reliable, plenty of power. I kinda wish I had the Series 1 or 2, with an actual tube in the preamp. The "tube emulation circuit" does make a difference, but not in the same way as the tube in my old Genz Benz did. The Carvin 15" cab is the only 15 I've really liked.

While I don't particularly like the look of the new Carvin amps, when it gets right down to it they have pretty much the same features as the Redline, just laid out a little differently and I'm sure they have a few different internal compnents that I can't specify or understand.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I don't know if I've said this before but I think the biggest bang for your buck right now is the Carvin B1500 head paired with Acme Low-B cabs.

Max, have a word with your venue and see if they can get the B1500 to replace the Redline - tell them they need a back-up amp or something like that! I think you'll be VERY pleasantly surprised.

The killer with the old Redline heads is that they have an undefeatable midrange notch. Thankfully the BX heads haven't carried that 'feature' over.

Alex

That really bugs me, I want to be left in peace to browse around, pick things up, have a play around without asking some guy to get the freekin keys out, to bring in the fork lift, so he can lift his work mate (who may or may not be on lunch at the moment) 300 ft in the air, to gently lower him down again via a cable, guided through laser alarm triggers, and armed tear gas canisters, to unlock the thing, bring it down, and hand it over.. Just so I can say.. "Nahhhh I dont like the headstock... How about the one which was hanging next to it?"

Hey, if that's the way it works and they're willing to do it, I don't mind making them do it, ya know? And I wouldn't mind telling them, "Nah, I don't like the headstock, how about that one over there", either. Mars Music's old slogan was "we love it when you touch the stuff!" With me, they'd dang well better...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Y'know the venue also has an old Fender Studio 100 all tube bass combo (with a single 15). When I have the option, that is what I choose...sounds so much better than the Carvin. I have heard the newer Carvin stuff is supposed to improved...yet I still have doubts, having looked inside their stuff. (and yes, I am VERY picky about tone). for the price, their stuff does offer a lot, yet I tend to go for quality of quantity.

The mid notch, terrible lack of headroom in the preamp, and an utterly useless "tube stage" (the input definately picks up a few op amps/ICs prior to this starved plate section...yielding a very lacking and ugly tone..), tends to give this amp a somewhat one-dimensional tone.

On the plus side it is loud...just not in a good way.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Archived