Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum machine 80's R&B

loxley11

Hi all,

i've been looking for a drum machine, but am not familiar with what's out there (used stuff too). I've searched through the previous posts but they seem to be looking for either techno drums or super realistic drums, which is not what I need. I'm playing piano with a bassist and singer, doing 80's and R&B type music (The Gap Band, Bruce Hornsby, Michael McDonald, you get the idea)

-I don't need realistic sounding drums.

-still want real samples, not an analog sounding machine. just that moderately lo-fi but still recognizeable drum sound that is common in 80's music, r&b, and some of the hip-hop stuff.

-I need hardware. my computer sucks. end of story

-Don't know too much about FX and these things, but if it needs them, they need to be onboard.

-would like one sophisticated enough to be able to store several complete songs in memory, and trigger them with a footswitch.

would prefer a tabletop unit over a rackmount unit, but i guess beggars can't be too choosy.

anything you can suggest would be great. Thanks!

Drew

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you are looking for but the statements are a little contradictory. The artists mentioned above used a combination of live drummers and drum machines.

Anyway, a few choices are one of the Akai MPC units which have been the staple of music production for the past 20 years.

Any one of the MPCs will do. You can sample your own drum sounds and/or buy them 3rd party. The sequencer allows song creation and storage.

Your programming chops and sound engineering expertise ultimately come into play in terms of getting the sound you want.

Also, many of today's keyboard workstations contain the full range of drum sounds and an onboard sequencer. Provides a lot more flexibility than an MPC.

However, my question is, why not use a real drummer?

I understand every logistical issue that could possibly arise from using someone who doesn't have to know the key signature. :rolleyes::)

Still, a real drummer provides dynamics and flavor that a machine will not automatically come up with on the fly.

Otherwise, if you are adamant going the automated route and have more specific questions, ask away. Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

80's R&B..

I'd go with a Roland R8 mkII, if you can find one.

Good call Jay. I completely forgot about it. Along the same lines, he could also look for an Alesis HR16.

IMO, that is still hustling backwards. Newer boxes have every last one of those sounds and more along with other bells and whistles.

It is funny to read the marketing speak where the manufacturers actually name drum sounds i.e. hip-hop, 80s, rock, pop, techno, etc. :rolleyes:;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

However, my question is, why not use a real drummer?

I understand every logistical issue that could possible arise from using someone who doesn't have to know the key signature. :rolleyes::)

:rimshot:

:grin:

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Yamaha RM1X is drum machine and more, very cheap, with effects and a floppy drive for storage that you can still use today. The R-8 ( a great drum machine) had only propriety memory cards and no backlit display which made them difficult to use onstage.

MPCs all (I believe) have external storage in floppies or cards that you can still get. But they are more money. I'd stay away from the MPC-60 (the drum machine of the late 1980s) simply because it's too expensive for what it is in the used vintage market.

That was my first thought, but any of the Roland's from then until now would probably do. Even the Boss and Zoom drum machines that are commonplace right now for around $150 or so would likely do the trick. This is a pretty easy request.

FWIW I recently picked up Sound Jump's VDM-1 which is a collection of drum samples from the classic 80's drum machines. I got it as a Reason Refill so it has some nice looking drum panels too. It's pretty good, especially for the price, and it includes some of the drum machines I could never afford back then like the Simmons and Linn's in addition to classics like the Oberheims and Rolands.

You're looking for a device to use live; the real thing (i.e. an original LinnDrum, or a Roland TR-808, etc) is going to be completely unsuitable for you, for a variety of reasons. I would advise getting yourself something current that allows the loading of samples (as someone mentioned, one of the MPC models would be as close to perfect as you could get). That gives you both current, powerful technology (compared to the original boxes), as well as a LOT more flexibility in terms of sounds.

Also worth noting; just because you have the sounds from those units doesn't mean you're going to be able to recreate the right patterns/mood from those records... still a lot of work to be done to get the individual mixes right, etc. Also, the early drum machines didn't have any effects on them, so what you're hearing on the records is almost always processed to make things sit right in the mix (stating the obvious, here, but it's worth noting).

There's no plug'n'play solution available, if you're looking for accurate, genuine parts. Well, not from a hardware solution, that is. You're not interested in a computer-based solution, otherwise there are some options there... :)

Thanks guys for all of your suggestions. Perhaps I should explain a bit more...

I would love to have a real drummer, and the bassist may on occasion play drums, but we've limited the group to three so we will make more than the pittance we usually got for past gigs.

I realize some of those artists I mentioned used real drummers, but here's how I feel about the situation: with the money and technology I've got, I won't come close to sounding like a real drummer. Using a cheap drum machine to try to imitate a real drummer to me is cheesy. I'd rather use something that doesn't try to sound like a real drummer and that's why I focused in on the beatbox-type sound. Perhaps I'm calling it the wrong thing -correct me if I am wrong here.

With the simple sounding stuff we do, I don't think it takes super realistic drums to sound good. if it were classic rock, then yeah, realistic is necessary, but even if some of these artists used real drums, this genre of music includes a tradition of electronic drums, and we're not trying to cover the songs perfectly, just get a good feel for them.

I agree with sven; I've eyed the Oberheim DX for a long time, but just haven't gone with it because it isn't practical live. I've worked with a Roland Dr. Rhythm before, and it was cool, but I thought there might be something out there a little more specific to the R&B genre. I will look into all of your suggestions.

thanks again,

Drew

-Mike Tyson

sorry for the extra post, but it just occurred to me to put it this way:

I'm not looking for something that sounds like a drummer, I'm looking for something that sounds like a drum machine.

D

-Mike Tyson

I think a Roland R8 mkII should be your first choice. An Alesis HR16 would be another good choice. You should be ok with either one as long as you take the time to learn about it so you can maximize the results you get.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Personally I use a drummer sometimes, but more often these days sequenced rhythms for many reasons (money being only one). The most important thing I'd advise is make sure what you get has a way to store your songs besides MIDI if you are playing live.... floppy drive or currently available memory card slot. The classic old school Linns and OBs have nothing at all because they're... well... old. But neither do many classic Rolands and Yamahas.

Archived