Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Rosslyn Motet...

Fasinating article. Imagine spending 27 years trying to unlock an ancient musical mystery. Check out the articles at: Yahoo Article and at: Mitchell webpage

Rosslyn Chapel holds a musical mystery in its architecture and design. At one end of the chapel, on the ceiling are 4 cross-sections of arches containing elaborate symbolic designs on each array of cubes. The 'cubes' are attached to the arches in a musically sequential way. And to confirm this, at the ends of each arch there is an angel playing a musical instrument of a different kind. After 27 years of study and research by Stuart's father Thomas.J.Mitchell, we believe he has found the pitches and tonality that match the symbols on each cube, revealing its melodic and harmonic progressions. It is what we could call 'frozen music', a little like cryogenics. The music has been frozen in time by symbolism, it was only a matter of time before the symbolism began to 'thaw out' and begin to make sense to scientific and musical perception.

Tommy Mitchell (Stuart's father) unravelled the music from the symbolism and Stuart has produced the music using authentic instrumentation in the 1400's.

Tommy began work on this amazing project over 25 years ago and the Rosslyn Motet is the culmination of a wonderful collaboration with his son Stuart who is the production manager of the project.

When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read this story. I guess they are going to perform the piece May 18. It will be interesting to hear. I hope they make it available.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived