Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

surprising tiny amp

DafDuc

So I bought this 15W (or maybe 30?) Hartke bass amp a while ago for those rare situations when a bass player comes over to jam. Then at last year's Voxfest...

(advertising interlude: my house, 25-30 musos from around the world last time - you guys are invited too. May 17-20 this year. SE Michigan. PM me if interested. End advertisement.)

...all the bassists hated it. And used some larger amp someoene else had brought. So I put it away.

This year, we started a gospel choir at my college, and when the Clavinova cord disappeared, I had to bring my QS and something small to play through. I always had used a Roland Cube, dirty but functional, but couldn't find the power cable anywhere. And I had already loaned my 15W Valvetronix to the guitarist.

So you can guess the rest. I was forced to bring the Hartke - AND IT SOUNDED GREAT! I was really surprised. I've always hated my keys through keyboard amps, and usually wind up using PA speakers. But the Hartke is super portable, and the QS's piano, organ, and especially EP sounds were great through the Hartke.

Cheap too. Starts to get fuzzy if I push it hard, but way more clean headroom than the Cube. And none of that crappy honky resonance I got from the KC's, Sumos, and Yorkies I tried out.

Who knew? Not me. Do now, though.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived