Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

kurz k2000

born2die

ok for those who have looked at and answered my previous lame questions you will know that I am looking at getting a good used workstation at the moment the motif is the favotite with the triton a close second but now I have looked a little a the k2000 and have a few more lame questions.

1) Does it have arps

2) does it have any drum tracks ala triton and motif

3) What are the acoustic samples like

4) whats the key feel like

Sorry for al the lame questions but this is my first steps into a workstatiion and I have to get this right as it will have to last a few years.

Also if I am missing out on drum tracks for instance and as its a cheaper used buy than the motif could I for the sake of ease get my hands on an alesis sr16 drum module and import these into the kurz sequencer or would I have to then buy a sequencer module ie alesis mmt8. I need drum loops to start with as my keyboard drumming skills are non existant at the moment.

thanks in advance

tris

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m316/born2die75/roland_junogsiggy_dw.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The K2000 does not have actual drum tracks, but you can load samples or .wav loops.

Keys are a most subjective topic. I have been playing my K2000 since I bought it new in '95, so I am not the most objective person. I like it. But, I have played a lot of boards with varying keybeds. YMMV

The acoustic samples, if you have the Orchestral board, are excellent, and still hold up. If you don't have the orhcestral board, I really couldn't tell you since I use mine a lot, and also since I have it, I don't have to rely on the internal orhcestral sounds.

You can't really go wrong with the SR16 (I have one of these also). I use it all the time for Hanon practice, and for scales (or I did at home). You can use it independently of any board. Don't get hung up on importing the loops into your board. The SR16 has a small footprint if space is an issue. There is a lot of discussion on drum machines, etc in some of the other threads for your searching pleasure. Again, you can always send loops to the sample memory in the K2000 (which maxes at 64Mb, so beware. Factory memory is quite small, less than 1Mb).

Hope this helps.

Jay

Damn old age and the "submit" button - I forgot to mention that probably the nation's leading authority on any Kurz board is Sweetwater Sound (sweetwater.com). They have always been a top retailer of anything and everything Kurzweil, and can field any imaginable question with authority.

Jay

I'm a long time Kurz user, but frankly, you've put your finger on the K2000's bigger shortcomings (remember, it came out in the early 90s). No arpeggios, horrible keyboard, and the onboard samples, though excellent for the time, aren't very good for today's standards. The more recent K2600 is a lot better.

FWIW, the Motif or Triton will provide the better drum samples. Of course, the Motif is pre-loaded with arps. Any sequencer will allow you to create them.

Unles you are looking for a secondary board for live gigging, considering a K2000 is working backwards IMO. The Motif or Triton provide the "latest" functionality in a workstation. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

cheers for all the answers it is what I thought but the k200 is under and the 2500 over budget so I think I will go fot the triton classic or motif 6 then.

I have always fancied owning a kurz but I guess it will have to wait for a while as this will have to be a primary board and act as a sound module for my fatar master.

many thanks again

tris

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m316/born2die75/roland_junogsiggy_dw.jpg

Archived