Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Absolute Mindless Shredding

Squ

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was a welcome respite from the mindless, chops-less Blues boredom one usually encounters today. :grin:

The guy definitely has some potential there. Hopefully he'll tame his chops and discover Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, and Allan Holdsworth. Speed does get old after a while...but only after a while. ;)

I did like some of YRO (a Racer-X tune)...stands for Yngwie Rip Off. Sounded a bit like Paul Gilbert too in parts. Most of the tracks, though, sounded like Michael Angelo drinking too many lattes. :eek:

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

The guy definitely has some potential there. Hopefully he'll tame his chops and discover Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, and Allan Holdsworth. Speed does get old after a while...but only after a while. ;)

Not my cup o tea. But I agree, I think the dude could do well, once he gets his s*** together.

Unfortunately, I don't have the software to listen to these posts!

In general.. well, I think it's possible to play multinote things in a beautifully musical way. If you don't think so, listen to people like John Coltrane or lots of classical musicians... and bluegrass musicians, and Indian musicians... and Allan Holdsworth.

Actually, all of the great musicians above are also able to play slow things beautifully, too... they're not people with overdeveloped fingers and underdeveloped everything else!

Gives Yngwie a bad name. You know, it is possible to "shred" and retain some essence of musicality. I think it comes down to style. This guy, everything is pounding me over the head, just tasteless.
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Nah... didn't rock my nuts hard. ;) The acoustic shred was okay though. Now if you want an album of similar leanings (but better quality), I highly recommend this band:

http://myspace.com/sleepterror

The guitarist did the group's first album himself with a drum machine, bass guitar, some keyboards, and of course the guitars. Simply amazing, and a lot of the tunes have some character to them, which explains his fanbase being everyone from guitar freaks to er... hot chicks. :D He's currently looking for a second guitarist, and a bassist to tour with.

Hmmn, well I listened to the original guy posted about. I wasn't very impressed. He uses way too much distortion on his metal stuff. You know, that masks technique.

I listened to his acoustic thing. It has a very cliche lick pattern that is apparent in many neo classical 80's type players.

Technique is bigger than just playing fast patterns in time. Things like, 'how you play it' come into play. Like you should be able to attack the string in many different ways to get different tone for different notes. All the legends can do that.

Uniform pick attack is the easy part really. i am just a fan of thumps, clicks clacks and cool vibrato.

Eh... unfortunately, the quality doesn't sound as good as the CD I bought from the guy. :(

But honestly... if you're looking for a modern shred metal album that's highly original, and can possibly compare with Mattias IA Eklundh, I highly recommend it. Sleep Terror's style does lean closer to more modern death/black/technical metal/fusion/neoclassical/techno, and I suppose that will keep some people away from it. But really, if you dig deeper into it... well, in one tune anyway, he musically quotes some classic rock tunes like "My Sharona", done in bits.

I listen to this stuff, 'cause it's FUN AS BLOODY F**K! ;)

Eh... unfortunately, the quality doesn't sound as good as the CD I bought from the guy. :(

But honestly... if you're looking for a modern shred metal album that's highly original, and can possibly compare with Mattias IA Eklundh, I highly recommend it. Sleep Terror's style does lean closer to more modern death/black/technical metal/fusion/neoclassical/techno, and I suppose that will keep some people away from it. But really, if you dig deeper into it... well, in one tune anyway, he musically quotes some classic rock tunes like "My Sharona", done in bits.

now there is a great band name...FUN AS BLOODY F--K

now there is a great band name...FUN AS BLOODY F--K

Wow um just don't think about that for too long.

aaaAAAnnnnywayyyyy. I say to this man Stacy or Tracy or whatever, get out of my state and listen to the blues.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Archived