Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Jere-n-Deb introduction"

Jere-n-Deb

Brief history: started playing accordian in 3rd grade per parents orders! Dad wanted my to play polkas! I grew up in the Milwaukee area (this is in the mid 60's). After giving it up in 6th grade & got a guitar in 7th. It was junk and really was hard to play. I finally found the bass & actually took lessons for about a year. Played in a high school band & we were called Hot Winter. We played the typical early 70's rock. Guitar, organ with a leslie, drums & bass. That lasted until the end of high school & I dropped it. Joined the Air Force & got an acoustic 6 string that I kept playing more off than on for the next 25+ years!

In the very late 90's my wife & I got into a Christian church. After we were members, their music ministry (played really modern CCM). The bass player & drummer left. My wife, Deb got really interested in the idea of being a drummer. So at age 44 she got a drum pad & learned. Then bought 2 sets of drums, one for church, one for home. I got my first bass, the El Capitan to learn on with a karaoke machine. We went nuts playing crash learning 25 hours a week. I think in two months we were better than someone who played for two years.

After passing auditions, I got an ESP LTD B304 & Carvin Pro Bass 200. We played in church 3 times a week, practiced a lot & played concerts including one with a generator in a picnic ground.

In 2003 we left the church.

In 2005 we started meesing around playing with a small band & did a variety of old pop rock.

Now in the past month we hooked up with two guys who are more into country - so we may be a bar band someday soon.

We aren't too fussy as to what we play, we just want to play.

I guess we could put adds out; "married Bass Player & Drummer looking for a band to play in!"

My personal prefs in music to learn & play are:

Roger Waters/Pink Floyd; Christian Rock - Newsboys; Blues & Boogie Rock; Genesis; Hendrix; Foreigner, REO, Tull, Zepplin.

Prog Rock like King Crimson, Hawkwind, and meditative new age. Oh yea, some country. Actually, lately I listen to Rhapsody online & pretty much try to ad lib play with anything.

Just got a used Warwick Thumb Bolt On last week. Why? Why not!

Biggest challenge; being able to sing & play bass at the same time. For me it's harder than walking & chewing gum.

JERE

SWR Super Redhead, Carvin Pro Bass 200

----------------

BASSES: Epi El Capitan Acoutsic, ESP-LTD B304, Warwick Thumb Bolt-On, Fender Jazz Fretless, Schecter Stilletto 8

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sound like our type of people. Welcome aboard. We have a good time here. I'm sure you both can add a lot to our learning.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Drummers and Bassists need a very special relationship or connection, or what ever you call it. The two of you should be great together, or it may cause a divorce. Who will lead, who will follow? Maybe it's not a good idea. I hope I have given you helpful advise. :D

Rocky :snax:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Try these sites:

www.halfzaftig.com - the rhythm section is a married couple

www.clatter.com - See what a husband and wife can do on their own.

Welcome to our forum!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Welcome to you and your wife! I'm sure you'll find the LowDown as fun and helpful as I have so far.

And by the way, singing and playing at the same time is a talent I have not been granted yet either. I'd rather walk with two left feet AND chew gum than try to sing when I play.

Ibanez BTB450

Ibanez SR905

Ibanez SRX400

Brownsville ABG2CRBS

Palatino VE-500 EURB

Crate BX-2115L

Crate BT50

Interesting to me are the similarities we share yet how different we are when you get down to details: grew up next to a great lake (Detroit), went away (to college) and dropped out of my high school band, got into CCM (like listening to Newsboys and DC Talk), my CCM band dissolved, my wife is also a musician (piano, violin, recorder, vocals, percussion) and we sometimes play together (currently we both play in our church's handbell choir), and the music I mostly grew up with is blues-based rock, classic rock, and progressive rock.

Actually the weirdest coincidence for me was finding another bassist online that shares my name. Not that weird, huh? Well, he plays the same bass as me! :o (The color is different, though.)

As far as marketing the husband/wife duo, it can either work for you or against you. Obviously it shows that you get along and you've been playing together for a number of years. However, some bands will not take on a married couple because it's difficult to leave marital spats at the door when it's band time. Imagine if you were in a band and during a rehearsal or performance two of your band mates were just fuming at each other over something non-band related and you were stuck in the middle. Not a good scene.

On the plus side, I get the feeling that a country band of your peers would be more welcome to adding a married rhythm section.

Welcome aboard, Jere, and our sister in rhythm, Deb, too. :wave:

Jere, out of sheer curiosity: is your father Italian?

Welcome to the forum. Answer my question and I'll explain it :D

No. I have a somewhat one sided geneology, on my biological father's side I know nothing! On my biological mother's side I am of predominant German decent.

Okay - please explain...

JERE

SWR Super Redhead, Carvin Pro Bass 200

----------------

BASSES: Epi El Capitan Acoutsic, ESP-LTD B304, Warwick Thumb Bolt-On, Fender Jazz Fretless, Schecter Stilletto 8

Archived