Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need a drum machine

bennyguitfiddle

I need a drum machine. I'm not a drummer so manually programing is hard for me and never turns out right.I had an Alesis drum machine about 7yr ago with touch sensitive pads and 100 presets.

but i never figured it our and traded a friend for a 4-12" cab.

I'm not a RICH man so like $300-$500.

for practice and recording.

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I need a drum machine. I'm not a drummer so manually programing is hard for me and never turns out right.I had an Alesis drum machine about 7yr ago with touch sensitive pads and 100 presets.

but i never figured it our and traded a friend for a 4-12" cab.

I'm not a RICH man so like $300-$500.

for practice and recording.

Take a look at these products...

Drum Machines

Take Care:

The Diminished Mind

Dude Absher

http://members.soundclick.com/Dude+Absher

that Alesis is what i had but it is a lot cheaper today.

have you tryed the other ones.

I have used the DR880 and found it Very user friendly...throw the book in the trash and watch the dvd lol..

The guitar programs are Really Good..

You have to just sit and play with it and sit and play with it ,,just like anything new that one buys....

as an example--

Is your clock still blinking on your vcr? lol sorry had to...

back in the day when vcrs came out alot of people could not set the clock on them.., but as time went by all are set within time....(I know now everyone has DVD playeres)

Take Care:

The Diminished Mind

Dude Absher

as an example--

Is your clock still blinking on your vcr? lol sorry had to...

back in the day when vcrs came out alot of people could not set the clock on them..,

LOL That is hillarious. I went to my folks house yesterday and they had a piece of black electical tape on the clock of the VCR cause they couldn't set the clock.

I'm an electronic/robot tech. so I can progam anything.

I just don't have drum style rythem.

every thing i did digitally sounded like a ROBOT ^^^ (like above)

think i still have a chance or not

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

I really think that you would like the DR880...

It is very easy to use..

What I would do is go to a guitar store and ask to play with them for awhile...alot of the bigger chain stores will let you-without a 2nd thought..

--Remember they work for you---

Grab someone and have them sit down with you and go over the features of the product..

Take Care:

The Diminished Mind

Dude Absher

An inexpensive drum machine for the computer is the iDrum from Izotope....$69

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/idrum/

And a FREE drum machine for the computer is the LeafDrums

http://www.leafdigital.com/software/leafdrums/

It basically plays whatever .wavs you tell it to play, but it comes with a starter set of drum samples.

By the way, if you want to get started with a simple rock beat, do this, assuming you've got a sixteen beat grid:

Bass Drum : on beats 1 and 13

Snare Drum: on beat 9

High Hats : on every second beat.

Et voila'! :D

Hey Bennyguitfiddle,

I'm selling my new condition, Boss DR-880.

It is the best one around plus those things also have built in guitar & bass modellers if you want to play through it.

It's real easy to use as well.

Reason I'm selling it? My new keyboard I'm getting has all that built in.

I'll take $325 for it and you pay shipping from Georgia.

Should be around $10+ dollars.

I paid $599 new.

If interestest, just send me a PM or email.

Randy

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DR880/

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/DR880-large.jpg

"Just play!"

Sounds like Strategery has a great deal for you on the 880, but if you want to save money take another look at the Alesis SR16. Yeah, I know, you had it and everything sounded like a robot. I can tell you part of why that was true.

The machine defaults to quantizing. (It aligns your hits in perfect time to the nearest ___ note. You decide between 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes, etc.)

If you can play the drum sounds you can eliminate quantizing all together. More likely, you can use the "swing" function to automatically create an ever so slight, off time feel to your patterns.

Of course, the DR880, a far more advanced piece of equipment, likely will do that and more, with a LOT more flexibility in choosing sounds, adding guitar, bass, etc. for jamming, among other features.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Thanks Neil.

Yep, if yer interested, I keep ALL my gear like NEW!

It started a long time ago when I REALLY didn't have any money and had to take good care of my stuff.

Now that I'm a little better off, the habit stuck. :grin:

Yeah, I really like the DR-880 it's just redundant gear now.

It has so many options and a very human sound.

Real easy to learn too.

Randy

"Just play!"

Hey Bennyguitfiddle,

I'm selling my new condition, Boss DR-880.

It is the best one around plus those things also have built in guitar & bass modellers if you want to play through it.

It's real easy to use as well.

Reason I'm selling it? My new keyboard I'm getting has all that built in.

I'll take $325 for it and you pay shipping from Georgia.

Should be around $10+ dollars.

I paid $599 new.

If interestest, just send me a PM or email.

Randy

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DR880/

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/DR880-large.jpg

$599 for it new? You got ripped, bro. I paid $399 a little over a year ago at store in Tucson.

That being said, $350 is a pretty good deal and it's a great piece of gear. I love mine too...

Are you sure you don't mean $499, Strategery?? That seems to be the going rate online. I checked Zzounds, Sweetwater (both $495) and Musician's Friend ($499). The MSRP is $599 according to Sweetwater & MF, but for some reason Zzounds has it as $549. It may have been raised at NAMM or simply a misprint by Zzounds.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

If you got it for that price....you knew someone or there was a mistake by the counter person.

Go check Musicians Friend or any of the others.

They're STILL $599.

The floor price was $449 and I talked him down to $399 because I also bought a $1500 acoustic amp. That being said, any way you look at it you got ripped.

Ahhh....you got a package deal. I see. :grin:

Ehh...I payed $499...not $599. I stated the price wrong. SOrry.

Good price you got though.

That makes more sense. You did not get ripped. I think these are $495 at American Musical Supply, same price they were a year ago.

It's a great drum machine. I plug mine directly into my AER Domino. Haven't tried it through my stereo monitors yet.

You'd think I was ripped off. I paid $349 for my SR-16...

Of course, I bought it in the first month it was available when they were selling for full list, which at that time was $399. That was 17 years ago. I think it turned out to be a good investment. I haven't even replaced the internal battery and it's still going strong. I think they recommended replacement at 4 or 5 years. :P:thu:

Of course the weird thought, IMO, is that Alesis hasn't updated or replaced it in 16 1/2 years. :eek: (They did update the firmware on new manufactured units 6 months after it was released. Mine only allows the division of drumsets 40-49 as 120 individual MIDI notes whereas those delivered after the first 6 months can choose between sets 00-09, 10-19, etc.)

I guess it's sold well over the years for those more interested in programming simple beats than having innumerable options. I was never thrilled with the sounds as a static set. I always wished they'd found a way to install new sounds. Heck, even an updated hardware version that incorporated flexible sample loads would have made sense, but they've sat on their laurels and simply reduced the price over the years to match the market value.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Of course, I bought it in the first month it was available when they were selling for full list, which at that time was $399. That was 17 years ago. ....

I atill have mine.... sold the HR16 to get it. Got the D4 later, but did not keep it.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Of course, I bought it in the first month it was available when they were selling for full list, which at that time was $399. That was 17 years ago. ....

I atill have mine.... sold the HR16 to get it. Got the D4 later, but did not keep it.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived