Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What compression ratio does everyone use?

dohhhhh6

Hello, I just got a Boss GT-6b so I'm fiddling with the compressor (which I've never used before). I was just simply wondering, what ratios do you guys use on compressors for A) cleaning up your regular playing B) cleaning up your slap and C) getting a squishy sound.

I'm just wondering because most of the patches already on the board seem to have high ratio of 8-10:1 which seems a lot. Is there something I don't know?

In Skynyrd We Trust

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently use 1:1 ;) (that would be no compression). I agree with Alex, more than about 3:1 (or maybe a little more) starts to sound a bit squishy.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I dont know for sure what my ratio is because on my amp it doesn't give any indication to the numbers. However I set it very low, mainly its there just for any large spikes. I jsut kept switching between slap+pop, finger, and picking finding something that pulled the slap and pop down.

Jonathan

i use 9.3:1. well, i will when i buy that 1.8T golf i've had my eye on. of course, i don't know how the tuning chip changes that, but it'll be fast, regardless.

for bass, i prefer a lot more squish in the studio. i don't play with one live. it always feels like the bass is harder to hear.

robb.

The compressor in my Phil Jones Bass amps are set at 3:1; seems to do the job nicely- better than the one in my Carvin R1000 (which isn't bad, but just not... the same).

I wish I knew the ratios on my EH Black Finger compressor. Normally I have the compression knob at about 11:00; and the "normal" compression option selected. For certain fretless sounds, I'll select the "squash", and compression knob at about 2:00; I also increase the output gain for that setting. Don't know that this helped any, but it's what I do.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I played through a compressor pedal for years, the TE Dual Compressor which is a dual band compressor. I used to keep the highs uncompressed and compress just the lows with a relatively low ratio. It did result in a very punchy sound but after some time I realised that it was causing me to dig in harder than ideal and was restricting my dynamics too much. For the last few years I've gone without compression live and I think it's really paid off in terms of both tone and musicality.

However, when you're recording compression is essential to get the dynamics of live music happening at home listening levels. Recently I've been tracking everything without compression, and then applying compression in mixing. Then once mixed down it'll be the fun multiband compression game on the master. I think getting the right balance of compression is the most critical aspect of producing a radio friendly yet dynamic and musical finished product.

Optical compressors seem to work really well with bass - their combination of slow but variable attack and release and constantly varying compression ratio seems to control the dynamics well without choking or overcolouring the tone.

Alex

Alex,

Yeah, I'm sure I've been compressed occasionally in the studio but I let the engineers worry about that. I suppose if you're a really serious home studio guy you should consider it, but live - I agree, you're much better off using you technique to control your dynamics. I used to use compression live many years ago but I sound much better without.

It depends on what type of music you are playing. And keep in mind that different compressors have a different concept of ratio, despite the fact that quantifiable relationships should not depend on the brand name.

Trust your ears, especially when you're slapping, more than what the display reads. It's doesn't take much, especially with a low threshold, to make a huge difference in the sound of a bass with compression. You also need to learn how to play while using it...I've seen many guys play WAY TOO HARD because they can't get over the principle of compression...it ain't gonna get any louder.

"For instance" is not proof.

Now that you have made me think about compression, I did some more listening and found out that 3 is a magic number, maybe 3.5 starts smelling like compressed.

I have read a lot of opinions and considered positions like "real man do not compress, rather expand", but when I listen I think I need the weight and the control I can get from a compressor to have more punch and stay a little more behind, so my mates will not be upset.

My amp, a Yamaha BBT-500H, is factory set at -18dB treshold, 23ms attack, 139ms release and I will not fiddle with those settings until I know what to do. I can read the numbers change on the display when I turn the knobs, that's how I know my numbers.

I listened to my Aphex Punch Factory, setting the internal compressor of the amp at 1:1, and found them both pretty usable. The Aphex is brighter than the Yamaha compressor, don't know why but it's obviously brighter and does not round the tone as much. Anyhow, I like them both.

Going without compressor does not sound good to me, except in solos, not what I do with the band except for one chorus in The Thrill Is Gone.

I think I will use the Aphex when I am not using my amp and will go straight to the amp with the knob at 3:1 when I do.

I also tried the Aphex on the line input of my PC and decided to never go uncompressed into a PC: it defeats the dryness of the bare line input.

I have also found out that closing the tone on the bass kills attack noticeably. Decided to round the sound with my fingers.

Thanks for the input, folks.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Archived