Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig reprort: Motion Sound KP200S & Triton Extreme

tarkus

Had my first gig experience with the new set-up.

Triton Extreme 76

Ampeg B-210 digital bass amp

Motion Sound KP200s

The Band: 3 sets of cover tunes mostly classic heavy stuff.

Jethro Tull - Zep - The Who - Stones - Hendrix - SRV etc...

Lead Guitarist plays through Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Half-Stack - lots of watts!

Second guitar - plays through a 2x12 combo amp - nothing special mostly rhythmn and acoustic guitar.

Drummer is a pounder - Bonham wannabe

Me: Bass and Keyboards.

I Isolated the bass patches from the combis that I use and ran them from out-channel 1 into a small Line Selector.

I run my bass through same Line selector.

Both key-bass and bass are at similar EQ.

The Bass amp and KP were adjacent, and angled slightly towards the drummer.

Next: Ran stereo L and R from the Triton out to KP200S.

Stage volume was established - I had a lot of head-room left over.

Sound man runs direct outs from the KP and Ampeg into the board.

Monitor levels were clear and from what I was told - Keys were mixed proper.

Highlights - White Room, Theme From an Imaginary Western, In the Evening, Comfortably Numb, and Kashmir feature keyboards.

Comfortably Numb sounded exceptionally lush. Very happy with the mix, but happy with the sound I was getting out of the KP200.

Tip: The KP200 was places on a sturdy tilt-back amp stand. Even though I had been set up on the far side of the bar with a wall to my right, the angle and placement of the amp wasn't restricting. Good volume and very clear.

Comments - the guitarist was loud, but louder through the monitors. The Korg patches rang clear through the KP and I believe it could have held up vs the Guitarist even with a more primitive PA set-up.

I still have to experiment with the Triton's internal mixer to maximize the KP200 potential, and visa versa.

If I were not playing bass, and devoted exclusive keys, I'd be confident with the KP200 as the lone amp.

Till then, I wear many hats.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the guitarist was loud, but louder through the monitors.

Getting a guitar player to turn down is like teaching a dog to sing; it wastes your time, and annoys the dog.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Guitar thru the monitors????? With a Boogie half stack??

Yep - when you have a good Sound System with a good engineer, everything goes through the monitors.

Sounds like any amp would do the job, providing the guitarist is 'controlled'

Yes and no. Ultimately, The keyboardist must be happy. :thu:

I've done other gigs with "any old amp" and found need for volume and clarity - sometimes its the drummer that you can't defeat or the room that either soaks up too much or pings high frequencies all over the place. (If you gig in some of the older bars in NYC, you'll experience the joy of brick walls and tin ceilings. )

Guitar thru the monitors????? With a Boogie half stack??

Yep - when you have a good Sound System with a good engineer, everything goes through the monitors.

Can't say I'd agree with that. Unless a stage is huge, I don't want a monitor, and even if the stage is huge, the chances of me wanting guitar in my monitor or slim to none. Same with vocals. All I'd ever really want in a monitor, when I actually need one, are kick drum and bass. Give me the time and that's it.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

the guitarist was loud, but louder through the monitors.

Getting a guitar player to turn down is like teaching a dog to sing; it wastes your time, and annoys the dog.

I should have clarified - it was in the third set, when the guitarist was too loud. The sound man may have fallen asleep at the switch, but I am blessed with a very capable and skilled guitar player. Never a complaint from him on volume suggestions.

I am blessed with a very capable and skilled guitar player. Never a complaint from him on volume suggestions.

Of course, we are being a tad sarcastic ;-) ...and I play guitar from time to time. But I've been on stage with more than one guitar player who insists that, to get his "tone", he must play at a level loud enough to kill small rodents in a 15-ft. radius ;-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I am blessed with a very capable and skilled guitar player. Never a complaint from him on volume suggestions.

Of course, we are being a tad sarcastic ;-) ...and I play guitar from time to time. But I've been on stage with more than one guitar player who insists that, to get his "tone", he must play at a level loud enough to kill small rodents in a 15-ft. radius ;-)

:D

Trust this guitarist, they just need an Ultimate Attenuator. Play as much power amp gain as you want for tone, but still control the volume. :thu:

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Archived