Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger.

I like my Tascam DR1 digital recorder. But Tascam hosed me on the rebate ear bud phones that was supposed to be part of the deal. It appears that the Amazon.com merchant I bought it from isn't an authorized Tascam dealer, so no dice on the Holiday Rebate free headphone thing. My phone call to Tascam led me to some voice mail dead end.

Bastards. They're all bastards.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I think both of my guitarists have those briefcase-open-into-5-guitar stands. The guy who stands next to me on stage didn't put his together (it came assembled and you just have to move a few things when you open the case. Not sure the brand, but they seem to work OK.

Flank - sorry it turned out so badly. I agree that the Warwick name should count for more. I agree with writing them and seeing what happens (nothing to lose). If that doesn't work, send them a varmint.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Just picked up one of these from evilBay for a song. Spec-wise it looks like a very powerful and useful little tool. I'm looking forward to trying it out. The nice thing is that I can easily get my money back out of it if I don't like it...and then some for my trouble. :)

PIIIIIIIIIIC:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/6/6/241066.jpg

You're a little tool.

good lord -

I was at rehearsal last night and noticed the "active" pad button next to the input on my Line6 10" combo was in. Now the little bastard really impresses me. Amazing he difference a few extra db can make.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

W00T! 1500 Posts. 500 More and I can let the Band Names thread die.

I'm starting a "Name my Hamster" thread so bNb can get the required 500 posts.

Hey I may have been joking. There has to be something sillier here then what I'm doing.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

For those of you that have been waiting, you can get a USB record player for $55 on 2/5/2009 at http://www.woot.com/

Then of course you have the project of finally copying your vinyl to your computer.

I get nothing from this and can't vouch for the quality, it's just cheap. I ordered from woot only once but had no problems.

Well, I finished the studio work. Now the 2 stooges are going to do the layers. In this last session Ed used the booth and the post EQ D.I. from the ashdown - the tone was huge from the head and biting from the cab so the blend is excellent.

I am glad to be done with it. One more 6 hour session and I would have lost it. We started at 8 p.m.

I can totally understand why bands fight in the studio now. Keith had the drummer redoing a track for about a half an hour and you could tell they were both pissed. I had a rough patch that took me about the same amount of time to get right and I was plenty anxious. But one bad night out of 5 isn't bad at all. Still, with all the driving (1 hour each way) loading and unloading I am glad it's over.

Keith had the drummer redoing a track for about a half an hour and you could tell they were both pissed.

I can relate to that. Last time I spent serious time in a studio, the drummer couldn't get the hang of a transition that we had been working for a month beforehand and we thought he had it down. It was just adding an extra beat to the last measure of the loud section and ending up right in the soft section...after about an hour and 1/2 it ended up being a 9/8 bar instead of 5/4 (or 10/8) and we just retracked everything else accordingly out of frustration. He just kept trying to make it more difficult than it was. After the first 20 minutes I went out on the porch with a beer. It was the first time I had sat down and enjoyed the blissful escape I got from a beer. Maybe it was just the escape and not the beer.

As a side note, that was also the occation where I ended up hanging with the TSO guys!

Congrats on getting through the painful part!

Thanks Davio -

Well, the drummer was having trouble doing a double kick intro to a song that was previously recorded. Simple punch-in only he couldn't count it out correctly and then land in the right place. He finally got the part right and Ed just stuck it in where it was supposed to be. Gotta love Cubase.

I forgot to mention the fun.

The very last song we did was a tribute to SRV called Strokin'. A fast 4 bar blues deal that they decided to add as a "bonus track". I asked them what they wanted to hear and I expected the usual "just do a simple walking line", but Keith said to play whatever I wanted and it was a gas! Nicest buzz I've gotten from playing in a long, long time.

Sent it to my (asian) wife. She thought it was real for at least half the article - she said nothing would surprise her about the Japanese. :grin:

And the first two links at the bottom of the page have the tags

"Man Actually Getting Worse at Sex"

and

"This is the Happiest Day of My Life"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

Spinal Tap 25th Anniversary Interview (link)

What about groupies? What would you say is the average age of a Spinal Tap groupie in the year 2008?

Smalls: Its not the age, its the circumference thats worrying.

St. Hubbins: For some reason, because of a certain song, we do attract the larger south end.

Tufnel: Once in awhile theres a granddaughter of someone from the original days, and thats always interesting. The typical age: I would say between 50 and 70.

St. Hubbins: But were talking a young 70 and an old 50.

Tufnel: We have a code when were doing a showbackstage, if some women come back. Well look at each other, with a sly look, and David will say, Six. And thats the number of teeth they might have.