Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey London Cats�Tips�wisdom

DJR_Bos

Hey Bass Cats,

Ill be in London April 4th though the 9th and would love to get some input on where to see some music. Better yet if that includes some LowDowners.

Shamefully Ive been in London many times over the last decade without seeking out live music. The general pub scene suited me fine. But on this visit Id like to make amends.

Will be staying at Hyde Park North, the Columbia once known as the Rock n Roll Hotel actually but reasonable tube/taxi rides are not an issue.

At some point well be in Oxford as well if folks know of music there. I have lots of traditional pub haunts there already.

Please, PLEASE share.

Be well,

DJR

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stanley Clarke is playing at the beginning of April at the Jazz Cafe. I think you are a few days late for that. There will be lots going on. Phil W is the LDers London social secretary. I'm sure he'll suggest something.

A copy of Time Out would be good.

Keep in touch

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Yeah, keep in touch. I'm probably gigging around that time but I won't know the details for a while and a lot of my stuff is private parties (not that I couldn't sneak you in [;)]).

Hopefully you will get to see Steve Lawson, I'll have to have a look at his schedule. I'm happy to organise a Lowdowners dinner or pub get-together if you want to meet up, too.

Hyde Park North is very central, you can walk to a lot of venues and taxis or buses will get you around easily.

If you're going to be using public transport, I would urge you to get something called an Oystercard which will save you piles of money.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/

You can get them online in advance.

Not sure yet what'll be on at that time but check out venues like The Spitz in East London (very near the Bass Centre).

Bump this thread a little nearer the time and I'll try to list what's on!

Sounds good. DJR will you be here on business or pleasure?

I'm up for another evening out, even better if it involves some music too.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

• 2 months later...

Remembered this from Feb. Anyone been in touch with DJR or is he another of the 'Lost in the change?'.

This was the last of his posts.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'm gigging on the 9th but after that is my missus birthday so won't be able to go anywhere. And I doubt DJR wants to go to Dartford and see a covers band.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• 1 year later...

mmmmm boy. Did I drop the soap on this one. Sorry guys....

Any-Hoo I'm back in London this month. Tentative plans call for -

May 18th through the 22nd in London

May 23rd through 25th in Oxford

There is family involved so flexibility is less than 100%.

That said - If anyone in the area has a show or just wants to get a pint and have a bass geek-out please let me know. Don't know how this trips gonna pan out, but I'll promise to stay on top of it this time...

- DJR

We should meet up during the 18-22 period. I have no gigs during those few days yet but should something come up, I'll let you know

Sounds cool Phil, please do let me know. I'll be in town, and doing my best to stay connected, Sunday and Very Early(cool Bill Evans tune that) at that.

If it works out great. I'll be on Hyde Park north again and happy to move a bit inside London proper.

I have a gig on the 24th but's a private due.

We could meet up and go to that chinese restaurant we went the other day. and Make sure Tim is coming this time.

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Maybe it would be better to go to the cheaper one, as you know the pound can be a bit hard on our friends dollar users.

And i'm skint too. :D

Cannae do the 20th, which is a tuesday. How about DJR the Monday 19th May?

Surely no-one does anything on a monday?

Surely DJR should have a say on the food front.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I can't do monday, my reharsals are always on a monday and that's the week of my big gig, so I can't make it you decide to do it on a monday.

>> 18th - 22nd is Sunday to Tuesday

Looks more like Thursday to me :).

Sunday and Monday it's just the wife and myself, then more family follows. So Monday offers good flexibility. And some recovery from the jet lag. Tuesday's doable, but the plans aren't quite set.

Queensway is great, right around the corner. Not so much into the fish/sushi thing, but if there are other options on the menu I can eat anywhere.

Did a mention the importance of a pint being involved?

- DJR

Don't worry with the pints, there's no way you can be in London and not have a pint or two.

Sorry. Sunday to Thursday.

What kind of food do you like best? I'll find something in any style.

Man, I just like meat. Cow, pigYknow? So many cultures do great stuff with that. I generally eat pub food in London. Or at what you guys would probably call tourist traps.

I trust you guys to know what's good in town.

Chinese, Italian, Brazilian. Hell, any thing that isnt all fish(or veg :(). Japanese included.

Or a few pints and an order of chips works to. Im on vacation. Anything is cool

DJR, do you need someone to look after your Ric while your away? :)

Might I suggest some of this for your apparent G.A.S. problem? :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/fanaticcook/beano1.jpg

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

DJR, do you need someone to look after your Ric while your away? :)

Might I suggest some of this for your apparent G.A.S. problem? :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/fanaticcook/beano1.jpg

:laugh:

I was just asking..... :cool:

Much good food in London - and some good pubs.

Ideas:

Chinese at Queensway (Four Seasons)

Singapore/Malay at Queensway (Kiasu)

Sichuan Chinese near Leicester Square (Red and Hot)

Korean Barbecue again in Holborn (Asadal) or there must be another decent Karean around central London

Don't know any good Italian places in Central London.

BBQ type place would be nice - lots of meat - anyone know one of those? I've been to one in Covent Garden years ago.

Archived