Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slightly OT: Pearl

Guitar55

Listening to this albuum (again) today, I thought about how it doesn't seem to get a lot of respect when people talk about the great "Classic Rock" albums. The songs are great (Get It While You Can, Move Over, Cry Baby, Half Moon..etc), the band kicks and Janis totally sings her heart out. Any other "Pearl" lovers out there?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, yeah! Her finest work by far. I always found live performances of hers seemed sloppy and glitchy, suggestive of being high onstage, a no-no for any performer. Let the flames begin!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/evil/teu42.gif
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Listening to this albuum (again) today, I thought about how it doesn't seem to get a lot of respect when people talk about the great "Classic Rock" albums.

Well... IS IT a [font:Impact]"Classic Rock"[/font] album? :confused: What's "classic rock", exactly? I thought it was more 1970s (Deep Purple, etc) I always thought Janis Joplin was more psychedelic. Are the Jefferson Airplane's records great "classic rock" albums or do they, too, belong to another tradition?

And there's also the fact that it's hard to build a legend out of only a few records. How many did she put out? About four? It's not a lot, really. And then, there's probably some sexism in there as well, though probably not that much.

Oh, yeah! Her finest work by far. I always found live performances of hers seemed sloppy and glitchy, suggestive of being high onstage, a no-no for any performer. Let the flames begin!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/evil/teu42.gif

I still have tapes of us playing while completely messed.

(notsof^&ingoodtolistento)

No arguement there.

As for "Classic Rock" well that was what everyone called Rock&Roll at the time. Beit Acid Rock, Psychodelic Rock, Folk Rock, Country Rock, Jazz Rock Fusion, Progressive Rock, Pseudo-Intellectual Thought Rock.. hell it's all Rock & Roll to me.

25+ years in the can and still enjoyable... likely makes it Classic.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I meant "Classic Rock" in the broadest definition. Although Janis' work with Big Brother could be considered "Psychedelic Blues", the sound on Pearl is R&B/Blues-influenced Rock n Roll. (if you know what I mean) :-) It sounds as fresh today as when it was recorded, whereas the Big Brother stuff has a very dated sound.

...I always found live performances of hers seemed sloppy and glitchy, suggestive of being high onstage, a no-no for any performer. Let the flames begin!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/evil/teu42.gif

No flames here, I agree. In fact I've never been a big fan of Janis; IMO her voice was much easier to listen to when she was a folkie in Corpus Christie, before she wrecked it with booze and angst.

NOW let the flames begin! :grin:

Give "Pearl" another spin...her voice is in top form. Even in some of the old film clips where she is obviously boozed up and her voice is very raspy, she still had all her dynamics and actually hit most of the notes she was going for.

Archived