Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stephen Fortner-KB Feb/07 mag-controller keyboards

mildbill

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eh. While the piece is broad and detailed, it's sometimes soft, especially on M-Audio. It's widely known that the feel and build-quality of most of their controllers is horribly cheap; the Keystation 88 Pro, in particular, is almost universally hated. One need only read the user reviews on other keyboard forums for proof. No doubt Keyboard is more concerned with preserving the ad revenue it gets from M-Audio than with taking the company to task for making crappy controllers.

A giant 'thumbs up' for this article. I'll be recommending reading this one a lot. The kind of in-depth, nitty-gritty details I look for, and used to see in Keyboard a lot.

Well done.

I totally agree. Great job, Steve! :thumb: I'm sorry we didn't get to talk at NAMM - I'm sure I'll see you out on the great tradeshow circuit again...

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

I agree, a thumbs up for this feature, because Steve covered a lot of ground and also infused it with useful objective facts and subjective opinions, where in the past Keyboard would do the "product comparisons" which consisted of listing features and product specs only.

A small thumbs down, however, because SF asked us in this thread what WE wanted in a keyboard controller, and other than writing "most Keyboard players want...to play musical parts as opposed to merely triggering loops and phrases" I feel he missed a real opportunity to speak to the manufacturers for us. Where is the 76 key weighted controller? Where is the PolyAftertouch? etc., etc. :(

According to some links online, which may or may not be true, EMU/Ensonic has the exclusive right to use the polyphonic aftertouch patent design. The next best thing, used on Yamaha Disclavier pianos has a different method locked up with a patent. PianoDisc (Mason and Hamlin) might have yet a third method patented.

The EMU sound chips are probably used in some of the midi devices of the Disclavier and PianoDisc Systems....

If EMU ventures into the more realistic sounding market, what happens to their sales to Yamaha and others?

I bet it would be a legal nightmare trying to get the technology back on the market.

Stephen,

Thanks for the great round up on controllers. I know you looked at the cme boards and did some testing with midi-ox. I was considering a uf7 but have been hesitant because I've read threads on the cme-pro forum about the black key velocity readings being different from the white key reading when the keys where striked at the same velocity (as best as one can). Have you heard this or tried this?

Archived