Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am sooooo dead!

S. Yeti Bigfoot, Esq.

I just ordered a new luthier built Concert Classical guitar. Cocobolo and Western Red Cedar....650mm scale....Gotoh Premium Tuners with Ebony buttons and gold engraved plates...21 fret extension for E1/B....12-hole tie block... :thu:

Now I gotta figure out how to tell the spousal unit.... :eek:

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sneek it in the back door....

wait till she's not home to bring it in the house.

only play it at night, AFTER she's gone to bed

YOU THINK I'VE DONE THIS BEFORE????

I want to play it when you get it..........

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by mdrs:

I'm not worried about you, Sas...

Bigfoots don't die easy......

Yeah...I think it will be OK. I just sold my Corvette so that freed up a little cash....so this will be my consolation....I'm so sad...(WOO-HOOO!!! :D ) She'll be fine with it...but just in case...if you let me sleep on your couch I'll let you play all of my guitars (if I can bring them with me...)

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by stamplicker:

Ummmmm... you got Sas prints on that Couch? or has she moved it outside to the doghouse?

PICS!

I will definitely post pics when I get it...there's 5 month build time.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Originally posted by mdrs:

I'm not worried about you, Sas...

Bigfoots don't die easy......

Yeah...I think it will be OK. I just sold my Corvette so that freed up a little cash....so this will be my consolation....I'm so sad...(WOO-HOOO!!! :D ) She'll be fine with it...but just in case...if you let me sleep on your couch I'll let you play all of my guitars (if I can bring them with me...)
Sas....I have a guest room with your own bathroom.....and PLENTY OF ROOM FOR YOUR GUITARS!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Last time I dealt w/ that guy I ended drunk. (drumroll-cymbal crash). Bad joke, I know.

AWESOME! They look great. I actually want a cutaway guitar w/ electronics for pop gigs. I have one eyed out, but need to talk w/ the guy first, and to talk w/ the guy I need to have the money first ;) .

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by MILLO:

Last time I dealt w/ that guy I ended drunk. (drumroll-cymbal crash). Bad joke, I know.

AWESOME! They look great. I actually want a cutaway guitar w/ electronics for pop gigs. I have one eyed out, but need to talk w/ the guy first, and to talk w/ the guy I need to have the money first ;) .

Johnny will work with you. If you need to, you can give him a 10% deposit and he'll begin construction and you can pay it as he builds it. It takes about 5 or 6 months for the build. You tell him what you want and he'll email you a price quote with a build time at the bottom. Then you send him the deposit and that gets the ball rolling....he'll deliver after final payment is made. $3,800.00 ($4,300.00 + with Calton case) is tough for the majority of people to come up with for a guitar, but spread out over 5 or 6 months it's a little more manageable.

He has a standard concert model that he has on special right now. He'll build one with American Black Walnut back and sides and Western Red Cedar, Euro Spruce, or Englemann Spruce top for $1,700.00 w/o case. That is a deal. Shipping is free, too.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Gruupi:

Just tell her its one you already had, but haven't played it in awhile.

I wish that would work....no dice. ;) She knows all of my guitars....

Well, that's OK....like I said, I sold my car so that's where the money came from..I don't think she'll kick TOO much.....and if she does, well...Doc said me and my guitars could stay with him. :)

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

I ordered it from Johnny Walker. Here's the link:

Johnny Walker Guitars

These look awesome!!! Congratulations!!!

The next 5 months will be long ones for you...

Thanks!

Yep...it'll be a long 5 months...but I still have the Ramirez to play...there's certainly nothing wrong with it!

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

That's a beautiful guitar! His prices are reasonable too, you could easily spend 2 or 3 times that for a concert guitar. You'll definitely have to post some recordings after you get it! :)

Yeah. I still need to record the Ramirez, too...man, I'm lazy! Holy smokes..I should be shot.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

That's a beautiful guitar! His prices are reasonable too, you could easily spend 2 or 3 times that for a concert guitar. You'll definitely have to post some recordings after you get it! :)

Yeah. I still need to record the Ramirez, too...
Yes you do!

What tonal differences are you anticipating between the Ramirez and Walker?

Wow! :eek: Whenever one parts with a prized possession, a consolation acquisition is perfectly in order. There should also be some T5 money left over from the sale of that Vette! :D
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Yeah. I still need to record the Ramirez, too...
Yes you do!

What tonal differences are you anticipating between the Ramirez and Walker?

Well, the Ramirez is very dark and warm sounding..very "Spanish" sounding. It is Indian Rosewood and Cedar with a traditional lacquer finish (standard for Ramirez). It has strong boomy basses and clear mids and trebles, but it doesn't have a lot of sustain and the trebles and mids tend to be clear and well separated, but not really loaded with overtones. When you play dolce, it's very dolce...but if you push it hard, it can get a little muddy. If you listen to Christopher Parkening you know the sound I'm describing.

The Johnny Walker will be Cocobolo and Cedar with French Polish. Cocobolo is known for overtones and sustain...even more so than Brazilian Rosewood. In fact, if I had chosen to couple it with an Englemann Spruce top, I think it probably would be too "brash" for my tastes...I want to sort of retain some of the warm, dark, sweet Ramirez tone, but just kick the mids and trebles up a tad and add a little more color and sustain. Still "Spanish" sounding..just a tad brighter. I expect a slightly brighter tone with tons of overtones, sustain and good clear separation and the trebles should "sparkle" a little more. If you listen to Julian Bream on his old '37 Hauser, that's sort of the direction I'm looking for....I'm not attempting to duplicate that sound, just attain some of those characteristics. Because of the finish and the bracing, I expect the Walker will have somewhat more volume than the Ramirez.

They both will have their color palletes...

I intend to keep and use both. If I'm playing a programme that requires drop-d for some pieces, I'll tune the Ramirez that way and the Walker to Standard tuning. The only other alternate tuning I ever use is sometimes for Dowland pieces I tune 3G to F#, but that's an easy and quick change and it seems to hold well. The drop-d tuning has a tendency for the 6D to try to "creep" back up to E after you tune it down that whole tone, due to the characteristics of the nylon. What you have to do is tune way below D first, let it sit for a minute while you check the other strings and chit-chat to buy time, then tune back up to D....it's a PITA.

BTW...there's a reason that I don't do a lot of recording. When you play something live, the warts and pimples and mistakes in your playing are there and the gone and forgotten (usually nobody even notices at all)...when you record they are preserved for all eternity...forever to haunt you...

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Wow! :eek: Whenever one parts with a prized possession, a consolation acquisition is perfectly in order. There should also be some T5 money left over from the sale of that Vette! :D

Hmmm....that would be nice...

HEEYYYYYY!!!!! You're TRYING to get me beat up!!! :eek::D

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Sounds like a sweet guitar!

Maybe you could spend the next few months, crying over the loss of your car. Then, after four months of crying, she'll finally ask you what would make you feel better. Then you can say, a luthier built Concert Classical guitar. Cocobolo and Western Red Cedar, 650mm scale, Gotoh Premium Tuners with Ebony buttons and gold engraved plates, 21 fret extension for E1/B and a 12-hole tie block. :D

Congratulations Sas! You know you are going to love it.

Is your spouse guitar saavy? In other words, does she have an appreciation for how much they cost?

Hard to hide the cost of a major purchase from an educated spouse.

Mine knows when I'm up to something before I even do it. :(

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by A String:

Sounds like a sweet guitar!

Maybe you could spend the next few months, crying over the loss of your car. Then, after four months of crying, she'll finally ask you what would make you feel better. Then you can say, a luthier built Concert Classical guitar. Cocobolo and Western Red Cedar, 650mm scale, Gotoh Premium Tuners with Ebony buttons and gold engraved plates, 21 fret extension for E1/B and a 12-hole tie block. :D

I'm a step ahead of you...I intend to start that next Saturday at 7:00 pm. (the guy is coming to get the car at 6:00 pm). I'm going to take a little piece of onion with me out into the garage and sit on the floor in the space that the 'Vette occupied..and quietly cry....every day until she can't take it any more...(works every time). :D

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Bbach1:

Congratulations Sas! You know you are going to love it.

Is your spouse guitar saavy? In other words, does she have an appreciation for how much they cost?

Hard to hide the cost of a major purchase from an educated spouse.

Mine knows when I'm up to something before I even do it. :(

Yeah...how the hell do they do that? I asked mine once how she did that and she said "A little birdie told me." I got my pellet rifle and went on a rampage, but it didn't work. The little bastards still rat me out.

She knows how much they cost....she was with me when I bought the Ramirez that I currently have (my first one was way before her time, but they didn't cost as much then). She made damned sure I clearly understood that it could just as easily have been new kitchen cabinets, floor and appliances with money left over to buy her some jewelry. I hate facts. You can prove anything that's even remotely true with facts.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I'm going to take a little piece of onion with me out into the garage and sit on the floor in the space that the 'Vette occupied..and quietly cry

For added effect, sit where the car used to be, cross-legged, with your left arm out in front of you and your right arm on an imaginary stick. Pretend you are driving and make little gear shift noises in between little bursts of tears and crying.

If the performance is good, you may even get a new mic to record your new guitar. :D

Originally posted by A String:

I'm going to take a little piece of onion with me out into the garage and sit on the floor in the space that the 'Vette occupied..and quietly cry

For added effect, sit where the car used to be, cross-legged, with your left arm out in front of you and your right arm on an imaginary stick. Pretend you are driving and make little gear shift noises in between little bursts of tears and crying.

If the performance is good, you may even get a new mic to record your new guitar. :D

You're BRILLIANT!!!! Brilliant, I tell you!!!

You've done this before, haven't you? :D

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Hey Sasquatch, I think I have discovered a trick to keep the Dropped D tuning from creeping back up so much. I tune it down to about a C, then back up to D while lightly stretching the string. Then back down a bit, back up to D stretching again. The trick is that the second time I bring the string almost up to pitch with the tuning key, then reach behind the nut and press down to bring it that last bit into pitch.

This keeps the string in pitch for at least the few minutes duration of a piece or two. I came by this just trying to think why would the string go sharp and the only reason I could think of was that it was binding in the nut. By pressing just behind the nut it seems to get past this binding problem, you can actually hear the little squeek as it unbinds. It helps to have an electronic tuner to find that sweet spot of how much to be flat before you give it that little tweak, but visually on the tuner its about the same every time.

Its not like you have to have it stay down to D overnight, but the ability to play a piece without it creeping back up sure is nice. Give it a try, experiment, I would be curious to see if this works for other guitars and players.

Archived