Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Making an Aluminium Guitar

comacoda

Originally posted by ellwood:

Well actually modern casting technique allows net casting of very very non porus surface finish. Depending on the type of sand used, and the ability of the foundryman or molder to prepair the mold and his choice of release agent, a very close to net surface can be had! Any of the cavities you need can be very accurate IF you put in the time buiding the core elements with precision. You should have very little pro cast work to do. Also there are many simple machine shop effects that can be created after the casting is complete. ORRR you could just build the whole body using an aluminum billet, then it's all machine shop work and no foundry at all!

A lot of ways to skin this cat! I Wonder how much it would cost to have a CNC machined billet alluminum strat made? Shipping Gregs body will be more expensive than my material costs for the cast guitar, as long as I behave and keep the volume down at home I can rely on my source of inexpensive labor too! :) I've been interested in Valero's, AH10's, Kramer's, and aluminium Wandre's for a while. (I played a aluminum necked Valero and found it uninspiring.) All the while I never considered the machine shop route, which sounds like the very best way to get *exactly* what I want. BUT, it just so happens that pouring molten metals is part of Lindsey's final few months at Chicago's renown Art Institute so I can't pass up the oportunity and adventure involved. She asked what she should make for her project and I said "A Strat!". She said yes, It's love. :love: I'm very curios about the costs involved in the machine shop route though...
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That makes sense about preparing the mold with precision for precision results, Lee. I didn't think about it like that. I could be wrong, but wouldn't billet be pretty costly? Results would probably be incredible, but I would think that it would have to be done with CNC equipment, which is pretty costly to set up, run, etc. Still, an aluminum guitar is just plain cool!! :D

BTW, I know that you have said before, but refresh my memory--How does your aluminum Strat sound and feel?

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Ok, well part of her training might have a CAD component to it. She could do the work and build up a solid model in any design database they are using at her college. You could then take that finished CAD model to any machine shop that has at least XY and Z machine capabilities and have them cut the entire thing for you. She would still be missing the cast metals part though? anyway it's an idea.

Greg, here are a couple of snippets from what I said on the original aluminum Strat thread: The screws are stainless and where put in with NEVERSEAZE,the inserts for the bridge are stainless. One correction the body was not meant to be a cast off, it...well was donated and I think was going to be a Harley Davidson or Stars and Stripes model. I've had the body since 91 or 92 and the amount of smear and oxidation you can pretty much see in the photo, that's allot of years unprotected SO I bet it could be cleaned well and clear coated as long as it wouldn't yellow? It really is a great playing Strat,light and pretty darn close to a vintage sounding Strat. Like I meantioned it does have a unique sound unplugged all together different than my wood Strats unplugged. I'm not sure how rare it is really, I've never seen another one.

Lancer, ya know what, your assumption about it being bright is a good one!...except it's dead wrong! That is exactly what I thought when I had this made up, but nope not true!, like I said, only when it's played unplugged is there a difference in the tone, it doesn't somehow transfer to the amp. It sounds every bit as good as my wood Strats, not better but certainly not brighter or worse.

Mind boggling! Let me absorb some of this for a bit... Italia makes a synthetic strat type guitar (modulo?) that is obviously a cast guitar, they use some type of piping or trim around the edge of the body to cover the flashing point... I do want a playable guitar and not an "also ran"... Hmmm. Thanks Lee, good food for thought.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

I don't think that it would be too hard to remove the flashing point with some good old fashion elbow grease. Start with a rasp to file it off, then progressively move up to finer and finer sand paper, then, depending on the desired finish, steel wool, or polishing compound. I've done some aluminum polishing before, it's not hard, just time consuming. This is going to be very cool!!! :P:thu:

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Yep there are many final finishes available. One way that does a very even and consistent pattern is simple sand blasting with extremely fine grit powder. Also consider anodizing the aluminum or there are lots of etchings available or anodizing with etching...lots of very cool choices! Now about the flash where the upper and lower elements of the foundry flasks meet. There is no reason to have anything on the flash line more than a very thin and very unobtrusive line.

The secret to good molding technique is tight flask joining and a fill and relief gate one on one end and one on the opposite ends of the cavity. The only real filing work is concentrated on these small remnants with only about 1/4 inch diameter "post" that is the shape of the filling and relief gates from the mold design. Flash is a thing of the past in modern foundry technique, or it should be.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, Heres a few ideas. A brand of guitars " I forgot the name " Took wood backs, And metal fronts, Engraved the metal beautifully...Why not make this the coolest, shiniest lespaul we have ever seen? Aluminum body, Brass top! I'm blowing out my hole, But for the hardwear for the bridge IF YOU HAVE THE ABILITY go for 440c Stainless, With 60-63 HRC. It's slightly britle so you might have to put a little fat on her, BUT I bet that metal will transfer the sound EVER SO NICELY! And, Dude, In light of the space age aluminum, Those pick ups better be ACTIVE!
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

I played Travis Beans and Krammers on stage, and frankly they sucked. Aluminum constantly resized itself due to heat, and the damned things were never in tune. This was a neck issue. You play it, the stage lights heat it up, it expands. You take a break, the lights go down, it contracts. oy....

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by walkindaddy:

hello,

i am new here.

Welcome aboard.

i built an aluminum strat i made about four years ago. with an allparts "v" neck. and mighty mite pickguard/pickups.

Where did you get the aluminum body? Are they still available anywhere?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

thanks to all for the help with uploading pictures to photobucket. at photobucket i just posted three pictures of my aluminum strat. just cut and paste, please let me know if the link works.

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o193/walkindaddy/

i've had it about four years, my idea was similiar to the fender 25th anniversary strat, only with an aluminum body. the body is chambered. marty schulte in minnesota (who made the harley strats for fender) built mine.i still have his email address. a reeeeeaaaal sloooow order, but it came out great. with patience. i believe he made less than a dozen strats for direct sale, mostly made were telecasters. he said the strats are alot harder to make than a telecaster. mine has a top loading bridge i added, with a BIG maple "v" allparts strat neck. highly polished aluminum, no seams anywhere. it is a fine guitar,i never had a problem with temperature changes affecting it. the finish flashes all over the stage, very lightweight, sustain for days. i joke and tell people i polish it with turtle wax...i might have some more pictures to upload. re:the back (solid/no string holes)matching aluminum strap buttons, flat black neck plate. all black mighty mite pickguard/pups, with chrome screws. i also have the black hex screws for attaching the pickguard, however, they did not "grab" as well as stock strat screws into the pickguard. let me know if i can help. thanks....(bluetwo@hpnc.com)

Originally posted by caprae:

Sweet mercy, walkindaddy ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Ellwood - you've got some polishing to do.

Mine is brushed slightley, I had to because of the lights, it gets to be a little too much buffed like the one in the picture. I had that thing wipe out some really good stage pictures because of it, not a good thing we needed those at the time especially.

:eek: I will comment later...when I get my drooling under control!! That is one killer piece of alloy, walkindaddy!!!

He didn't go into details, but he emailed me last week and said that it won't be happening anytime soon. Seems that there's alot more to the process than was originally expected. He sent the Strat body back to me early this week (even paid me back for shipping!). I've been real busy and haven't had time to get back with him, so that's all I know right now. We'll see what happens. I told him to let me know if things work out to get it done and I will send the body back to him.

Mine is brushed slightley, I had to because of the lights, it gets to be a little too much buffed like the one in the picture. I had that thing wipe out some really good stage pictures because of it, not a good thing we needed those at the time especially.
I can imagine. I hate chrome bumpers and stuff for that reason. Can't imagine how many people would be blinded by one that shiney under stage lighting.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by Greg B.:

He didn't go into details, but he emailed me last week and said that it won't be happening anytime soon. Seems that there's alot more to the process than was originally expected. He sent the Strat body back to me early this week (even paid me back for shipping!). I've been real busy and haven't had time to get back with him, so that's all I know right now. We'll see what happens. I told him to let me know if things work out to get it done and I will send the body back to him.

The process is NOT complicated, casting a aluminum body guitar is relatively simple really!

I can imagine. I hate chrome bumpers and stuff for that reason. Can't imagine how many people would be blinded by one that shiney under stage lighting.
I seem to recall Alex Lifeson doing just that to me on the Power Windows tour in 1985 with a chromed pickguard strat. Ouch! And I wasn't in great seats, so there was a bit of distance between us! I can't imagine what an entire guitar body under 120k of stage lighting would do to an audience! :eek:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

"I seem to recall Alex Lifeson doing just that to me on the Power Windows tour in 1985 with a chromed pickguard strat. Ouch! And I wasn't in great seats, so there was a bit of distance between us! I can't imagine what an entire guitar body under 120k of stage lighting would do to an audience!"

Neil! I don't know what it did to the audience, but it sure wrecked allot of photography that night! I mean when the spot guys hit the mark that thing just blasted them right back! NOT COOL at all!! :rolleyes:

"I seem to recall Alex Lifeson doing just that to me on the Power Windows tour in 1985 with a chromed pickguard strat. Ouch! And I wasn't in great seats, so there was a bit of distance between us! I can't imagine what an entire guitar body under 120k of stage lighting would do to an audience!"

Neil! I don't know what it did to the audience, but it sure wrecked allot of photography that night! I mean when the spot guys hit the mark that thing just blasted them right back! NOT COOL at all!! :rolleyes:

I can't say for certain, but I'm guessing they did no I-mag of Alex on songs that he used the chrome-pickguard strat on. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Greg B.:

The process is NOT complicated, casting a aluminum body guitar is relatively simple really!
Thats kinda what I thought, but I don't know the specifics of his situation. I'll still be on board if he has another go at it.

Right, see any little jobbing or art foundry where the foundryman use core and cavity methods and have the correct kind of sand could wip one of those Strat bodies out in a day. Machining would take another day including cnc milling the neck pocket and anywhere you would need the brass threaded inserts to be. If you wanted the tremlo pocket included (I think the one pictured above was loaded from the top) ...you could make a rough core for that too and wouldn't have to machine it at all. Modern casting is pretty near net/net accuracy!

I may have to take that Mock body to one of the local shops and see what they'd charge to do this. I'm just so hyped about the idea of having such a unique instrument - particularly when I'm playing shows like the one we did in August, where there where a bunch of bozo pretenders playing cheap Bronze series Rich's and coming off like they were king s*** because of it... :D:D:D

Archived