Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar effects ? can they do both bass & guitar ?

JayBurger

I have just bought a line 6 pod xt pro for my guitars... and now I have added an Ibanez 5 string bass to my collection..

Line 6 do make a bass pod xt pro, but just to try it, I pluged the bass into the guitar pod and it sounds great.

I know the guitar pod doesn't have the bass amp models... but will it do any harm pluging a bass into a guitar effects unit ?

It does produce some nice chorus sounds on the bass.. The roland jazz chorus amp makes tha bass sound fantastic.

Cheers All.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by JayBurger:

...I know the guitar pod doesn't have the bass amp models...

Actually, I am aware of at least one bass amp model the guitar POD has - the Fender Bassman. It is very easy to forget that the Bassman was originally created as a bass amplifier that was discovered to sound really great as a guitar amp. I would think several of the other amp models in your POD would sound great for your bass as well.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Mudcat:

...I know the guitar pod doesn't have the bass amp models...

Actually, I am aware of at least one bass amp model the guitar POD has - the Fender Bassman. It is very easy to forget that the Bassman was originally created as a bass amplifier that was discovered to sound really great as a guitar amp. I would think several of the other amp models in your POD would sound great for your bass as well.
Youre not wrong there! We use the bassman patch on my Flextone II XL, it sounds pretty good for a bass in a guitar amp!

I just traded my PODXT pro for NI Gitrig2, but I still have my Bass PODXT pro.

I think they made some bass models available for the PODXT, so you could probably get away with it.

Just remember that Bass is generally mono, so go easy on stereo effects.

You can probably see my Bass model on ebay soon, but it is a really nice unit. Nothing bad to say about it.

Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer

Sunbreak Music, LLC

High Resolution Stereo and Surround Mastering

www.sunbreakmusic.com

I've got bass patches set up on my GNX-1 using the Bassman model - one with a bit of chorus, one with compression, one with tremolo and one with sub-octave.

Works great.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

As others have said, there is no problem using your current POD XT Pro with your bass and some amp models are highly compatible.

However, if you ever want more options for your bass playing, you could purchase the Bass Expansion Model Pack (currently $99.99) and you'd have a combined POD and Bass POD living in the same unit.

You can find more info here .

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

As others have said, there is no problem using your current POD XT Pro with your bass and some amp models are highly compatible.

However, if you ever want more options for your bass playing, you could purchase the Bass Expansion Model Pack (currently $99.99) and you'd have a combined POD and Bass POD living in the same unit.

Yes--that's what I was referring to. It's not the same as a BassPodXTPro, but it should work for most purposes.

Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer

Sunbreak Music, LLC

High Resolution Stereo and Surround Mastering

www.sunbreakmusic.com

Originally posted by Sunbreak Music:

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

:eek: Wowwwwww. I never knew that. I dowloaded line 6 monkey (free) and line 6 editor (also free).. not only can you download the bass and effects models... but you can dowload proffessionally crafted artist tones for free... ie.. Gilmore.. Angus Young... etc. Also the on screen editing of your pod xt patches make it a lot easier to program.

Really chuffed with the pc connection.. I'd never have tried it.

Thank You for your replies.

Yes--that's what I was referring to. It's not the same as a BassPodXTPro, but it should work for most purposes.

:eek: Wowwwwww. I never knew that. I dowloaded line 6 monkey (free) and line 6 editor (also free).. not only can you download the bass and effects models... but you can dowload proffessionally crafted artist tones for free... ie.. Gilmore.. Angus Young... etc. Also the on screen editing of your pod xt patches make it a lot easier to program.

Really chuffed with the pc connection.. I'd never have tried it.

+1 to that :thu:

I haven't purchased any of the expansion packs but, just like you, I was very impressed with the useful editing/downloading tools offered by Line6: it makes it all so much easier and altogether so much more fun!

Archived