Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How big a difference???

The Big G

OK, having just made the previous statement, here's the other argument. I have a nice Ibanez AE200 which is kinda like a hollow bodied Les Paul with a fatter lower bout, a single mini-humbucker & a piezo acoustic bridge. Nice axe. I took it to a well known luthier with a list of about 10 possible upgrades/mods to ask his opinion. He could have made a lot of money off me, but he said "You have a very nice $600 guitar here. It sounds like you'd really like a $2000 guitar. We can do all these mods & it will end up as a $600 guitar with $2000 invested in it. Spend the $2000 on the guitar you really want & keep this as a nice $600 guitar." He did a great set up & fret job & the guitar is unmodded.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Scott Fraser:

OK, having just made the previous statement, here's the other argument. I have a nice Ibanez AE200 which is kinda like a hollow bodied Les Paul with a fatter lower bout, a single mini-humbucker & a piezo acoustic bridge. Nice axe. I took it to a well known luthier with a list of about 10 possible upgrades/mods to ask his opinion. He could have made a lot of money off me, but he said "You have a very nice $600 guitar here. It sounds like you'd really like a $2000 guitar. We can do all these mods & it will end up as a $600 guitar with $2000 invested in it. Spend the $2000 on the guitar you really want & keep this as a nice $600 guitar." He did a great set up & fret job & the guitar is unmodded.

Scott Fraser

:D +10 :thu:

Originally posted by Scott Fraser:

..."You have a very nice $600 guitar here. It sounds like you'd really like a $2000 guitar. We can do all these mods & it will end up as a $600 guitar with $2000 invested in it. Spend the $2000 on the guitar you really want & keep this as a nice $600 guitar."

Scott Fraser

I've said this same thing to guys a thousand times, but many don't want to hear it. Not so long ago there was a guy here who wanted to take an Epi Les Paul and 'convert' it to a Gibson Les Paul by changing all the hardware and electronics.

I was the original 'mod it' king. Now, if I don't like it stock, I don't buy it. The only exception recently was the 336, which benefitted from the P-90 pickups, mostly because I'm not such a fan of stock Gibson humbuckers.

It is also fair to say that when I was modding my guitars, the parts being offered were 'better' than the stock parts. Schaller machines beat the hell out of Kluxons of the 1970s, etc. We were also trying a lot of built in electronics, preamps, and better tone controls, plus things that were experiements with unknown consequences like low impedance pickups. Now the result of all this stuff is pretty well predicatble. Besides, none of it is trying to take a cheaper copy of a branded guitar and make it into a clone of the branded guitar.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by ellwood:

...and CONGRATUALTIONS TO YOU AND THE R&R GF TOO!! correct me if I'm wrong here Bill, but didn't you say she's a STONES FAN!! if this is so ..she's got to be a keeper! anyway buddy all the very best to you and your lady!! :D:thu:
Lee sent a lovely MP3 my way.... the R&R GF teared up when she heard it, so I know that it is a good song. Thanks, bud, she was really impressed.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived