Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rack Effects... Please Help !

JayBurger

Hi All...

I am building a home studio and want a pro sound (don't we all).

I am currently looking for a rack fx unit, and am wanting to know which is the best one.

I have always used BOSS.. ME8, ME6, GT3 etc... but the pod xt pro looks better than the Boss GT Pro. Also I have just seen a make called tc electronics ? who I have never heard of... they are more expensive.. but are they better ?

Any views, reviews, or advice will be very welcome and appreciated.

Cheers.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TC electronics is a guitarist's best friend. Everyone has something from them in their rack. It will be strong in the effects section, where I think others are lacking--and is worth a serious look. You'll have to decide what is "better", but if you've got the $$ for it, you can't go wrong w/ T.C.

I just traded my XT Pro for NI guitar rig (I'm a studio rat), but didn't have any complaints about it. Learn to program it and it's a great tool. I preferred it to the Boss GT6, but never did a comparison between the Pod and the new Boss.

Don't have any solid experience w/ others.

Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer

Sunbreak Music, LLC

High Resolution Stereo and Surround Mastering

www.sunbreakmusic.com

Originally posted by ellwood:

Google Lexicon and read up on their equipment.

I agree with ellwood, but I am assuming you are looking for rack gear to run effects on all kinds of insruments as well as voocals, not just guitar, correct?

If you are looking for a multi-efx unit just for guitar that includes amp modeling I would recommend either the Line 6 POD series or the Vox Valvetronix stuff.

However, if you want a real pro sound you are going to need to mic your amp. If space/volume considerations do not permit a quality digital modeler will still give good results.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Thank for your reply's so far.

I am looking for a guitar only fx.. I think.

Guitar is my 1st instrument. I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and a USA Strat.. (prefere Gibson but thats another debate)going through a Marshall AVT150 full stack.

I am collecting a piece of gear every month last month was strat, this month I want a good fx rack. The plan is to buy a guitar fx rack, and a seperate bass fx when i get a bass.

The Marshall stack is total overkill. I don't gig.. it just looks cool in the (soon to be) studio.. However.. my heart is loosing the battle with my head, and the Marshall must go, I do not have the acoustics, or the understanding neighbours to mic it.. so I will need DI into a digital studio.

Though of getting pod xt pro, and bod xt pro.. but the tc electronic does look good... especially the fireworks one ?

Still undecided... advice and views still very welcome.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Originally posted by ellwood:

Google Lexicon and read up on their equipment.

I agree with ellwood, but I am assuming you are looking for rack gear to run effects on all kinds of insruments as well as voocals, not just guitar, correct?

If you are looking for a multi-efx unit just for guitar that includes amp modeling I would recommend either the Line 6 POD series or the Vox Valvetronix stuff.

However, if you want a real pro sound you are going to need to mic your amp. If space/volume considerations do not permit a quality digital modeler will still give good results.

I don't own a home studio and am not a recording engineer, I am pretty much a live performance player. I think you should get rack effects and processors that can be used both live and in a studio situation, that's why I suggested Lexicon. I use Lexicon rack equipment in my stage work because it is so flexable. It is quiet and the effects are quality sounding. With a floor controller you can access any of the Lexicon effects in a live situation or use the on board controls in a studio situation, and the Lexicon reverbs are very high quality.

Hey Jay,

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I know little about rack effects.

I do have a comment about amps...if you like Marshall, but found that your Marshall head is too loud, think of Cornford. They are not cheap over on our side of the pond, but boy are they great amps!

http://www.cornfordamps.com/launch.html

Check out the Harlequin. It can be played clean, or dirty, and does not need to be too loud when achieveing a Marshall quality crunch. The Hurricane is the next step up, with similiar tone....perhaps a bit louder, but very controlable. I often play my Hurricane thru a Cornford 2x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30's. I bet it would sound nice thru one of those Marshall cabs.

Both of these amps are very studio and recording, AND NEIGHBOOR friendly! :D There are two of my favorite amps.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived