Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

**Peavey Classic 30/50**

alex2zulu

hey,

i tryed this amp in the shop today and it totaly blew me away, it was exalent (the 50)

but i was wondering if there is anything simaler to this that is better suited suited to higher gain stuff. i liked the 2 stage gain controlls (pre and post) they just seemed to work better than anything that i have tryed befor.

or could i just get an overdirve with it ?

i asked the guy in the shop for an overdrive to boost it with and he handed me a DS-2!

slightly confuzing but it worked (kinda)

what overdrive would u guys have handed me?

or what amp would u have told me to try?

3 questions thanx for any help

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have told you to try a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe / DeVille , if you get that though don't use an overdrive pedal...its pretty hot with the more drive channel on and the master on 2, i dont think ive ever played one with the master over 5 on the more drive chan...

If you just need more gain, just get a solid state - peavey makes plenty of good SS amps, - transtube models sound great with overdrive/dist pedals,

try hughes and kettners too

I have a Classic 30 & use a Radial "Hot British" pedal for distortion. The amp boost sounds good but it's certainly a classic rock type crunch, which is good too, when that's what you're after. This setup gets me pretty much any type of tone I want.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

• 1 month later...
If you just need more gain, just get a solid state - peavey makes plenty of good SS amps, - transtube models sound great with overdrive/dist pedals,

try hughes and kettners too

i was considering getting a SS hughes & kettner as a less expensive and more reliable option to an all tube amp, but i was wondering, besides jazz players and high gain metal players, does anyone actually use SS amps for gigs, for example can you play nice classic rock sounds out of a 60 watt solid state combo, or are people just going to laugh at you, as people often do on the forums when you mention SS
Mr_Newbie_LP

I use a Marshall Guv'nor sometimes and a Tube Screamer sometimes, both work great with the Classic 30.

The nice thing about the Guv'nor is that you can use it on the clean amp channel as a distortion box (it sounds just like a Marshall!), or you can back off the gain, and use it as an overdrive with the gain on the amp all the way up. Both ways sound great.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Let them laugh...

I used a Peavey Bandit for several years in the early 90's and got great tones out of it for Classic Rock.

I have an 80's era solid state KMD that is a great sounding little amp for driven classic rock tones. I've never really liked the clean tones but it does medium to heavy distortion very well. It is 65 watts with a single Celestion 12 and is very loud. I'd also say that this little thing is absolutely bullet proof. I played many gigs with this amp and could not break it. I haven't seen any around lately but if you stumble across one, it will probably be pretty cheap and is definitely worth a look.

Personally I can't understand wanting more gain but if that is the case I would get a different amp. If you want to use a distortion pedal or an OD you should find an amp designed for that sort of thing. I dunno, something about pentodes or something adding headroom in the front end. I don't know what that means but from talking to Myles I remember him spouting out something along those lines.

I am always on my soapbox preaching about how great the Peavey VTM series was. I still think they do high gained stuff far better than their JSX or 5150 series. That is a matter of opinion, but it sounds bigger micd and less compressed sounding. I have recordings where you would swear it was a Marshall. VERY cool amp. I would say it is the best cluck for the buck any metal player could find. I garantee you take some shmo with a 5150, and me with my VTM and you will be like, "dude your tone KILLS that guy's!" But you have to be able to PLAY because it isn't forgiving. Kind of a paradox because micd it sounds very distorted. Weird tone but when you master it you are in awe of how dynamically nuetral it is. This was an expensive amp for Peavey when it was introduced in 1986. Probably $700 for the head then. Now they are usually around $250+ used.

Archived