Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is applause passe'?

Tedster

Played for about six hours yesterday...for the "Gregg Williams Charity Golf Tournament and Auction". Gregg Williams being the Gregg Williams, former head coach of the Buffalo Bills and current defensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins. And yes, he was there (he's from Excelsior Springs originally), later in the afternoon, anyway, after the golf tournament. Several other NFL notables, including Joe Theisman, were there as well, from time to time.

It was worth it monetarily. We were hired to play from 2-6pm.

The day started out rainy...but a glance at the radar indicated that it would be moving through rapidly. Set up under a little tent outdoors. It was still sorta drizzling and spitting. The fire crew was there (local post office employees in charge of the grilling duties)...but really no one else. I set up, they fired up the grill.

Molly http://myspace-447.vo.llnwd.net/00729/74/41/729161447_m.jpg

(singer in the band, like the song says) came, and we ran through a couple quick warm up tunes. By then the rain had pretty much stopped. A couple people were kinda milling around. We never really officially "started", it just sorta gravitated into that. The weather continued to improve into one of the best days I've experienced. Sunny, temps in the upper 70s...light cool breeze.

For most of the afternoon, there weren't many people. Most of the folks were at the golf tournament, but after about 4 or so, folks started sauntering in. The end of each song was met by polite applause from two of our close friends in the audience (auctioneer Troy Snelling and Molly's mom). Quiet as a graveyard from everyone else. We said "So, they don't dig us, but fuckem anyway) and played.

No applause basically at all for the rest of the afternoon, but we were playing for us, having a good time. Then Keith (guy who hired us), asked us if we'd mind playing a little longer, and said he'd make it worth our while. Who were we to argue?

We ended up playing for about six hours, with nothing but silence from the steadily growing crowd. So, we figured they didn't care for us. We announced and played our last number. (sound of cicadas buzzing)...

We get done, and all we hear from the team of guys who hired us is what a GREAT job we did and how much the crowd loved us and were saying all sorts of great things about us. :freak: Hmmm. Coulda fooled me. Milling around in the crowd later, several people commented on how much they dug the music. :freak:

So I guess any sort of reaction to a live performance is considered "uncool". I mean, they didn't boo...but maybe that is uncool too???

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I'm glad you were satisfied with your own performances.

Second, we didn't get much applause from the punters at the outdoor gig we did about a month ago. They were there for the stalls, I suppose.

So maybe they didn't realise you were to be applauded? (Yeah!! Right!!)

Any tips about setting up PA in the open, as ours sucked?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Did anyone spend time talking and joking with the crowd?

I know I recently went and heard a solo guitarist (no singing - Michael Hedges type playing) and he seemed so serious without a lot of eye contact with the crowd. The only time he spoke was to introduce himself before he started playing and once to introduce a song. I sat in rapt attention (this was in a Borders Book store), but felt awkward about clapping so I didn't toward the end a guy came in and started clapping and they guy seemed appreciative, so I clapped, too. But until that time based on his expression and lack of interaction I felt intimidated to clap.

Plus, when i go to a classical concert I wouldn't dare clap after each movement. Sometimes it just doesn't feel right.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I think it's just a matter of the type of event. You were hired entertainment, sort of background music, at an outdoor charity. I don't think that applause was really in order and lack of it definately does not mean you were not appreciated or liked. (Obviously from the comments that followed).

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Nah, it's not passe', it was just not the situation for it. You were there to be, well, not exactly background music, but not the main focus of attention. Remembering what I heard the night we jammed, I have no trouble believing you did well enough to deserve applause, but my guess is that the focus was on the food and the schmoozing. Folks network like it's 1999 at those sorts of events, talk business, seek favors, etc and so on. and sometimes they have a plate of food in hand or mouth, so applause isn't always easy even if they want to.

You got good comments after, and the main guy asked you to keep going and said he'd make it worth your while to, so obviously you were doing more than well enough not to be an annoyance. I guess sometimes things just happen that way. Shrug all the way to the bank, and go back for more if they ask. Sometimes even great music just doesn't connect with the audience, not because it's not great, but because there's something going on.

We gotta jam again sometime.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Well, I kinda think that's it...like there wasn't really much else going on while we were there. Yeah, we were talking and joking with the crowd. And we did take it to the bank.

Geoff...we were using a pair of Mackie C300s (I believe I've got the model number correct) on speaker stands... A Mackie 1402VLZ into a QSC 200W p/channel (into 8 ohms) amp. Mics, SM58s. Outboard, an ART digital verb and a BBE Sonic Maximizer.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Mincer:

i tend to play 'ambient music gigs'..art gallery openings, etc...

playing solo, i diffuse the awkward 'hey i just finished a song, so you turn around from what you were doing and acknowledge ME' moments by not ever stopping...one song fades into the next.

Now that's a really good post!

Archived