Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Doyle Dykes---gotta see this

Gifthorse

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah he makes me really feel like I suck super bad. If you guys watched the whole thing you will be blown away at every aspect of his playing.

I hope I am half that good when I am his age..

Starcaster did you watch the whole video clip?

I am not knocking your opinion but I will garantee any of your guitar heros would worship this guy.

I mixed a clinic for him that same year. Absolutely amazing. I just about fell off stage while he was warming up because I didn't know his name went with my favorite song off the original Taylor Guitars Sounds Of Wood & Steel album.

And yes, a very nice guy! :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah he is so good at that shit it makes me want to quit playing. In fact I haven't played since I watched that. I need to take some lessons so I can soak up some more fingerstyle. I always say it then I get distracted with my band. Really, it is just cuz I want to be a self sufficient musician. Leo Kottke or Doyle represent this to me.

I am going to post another topic on how Doyle does that string bending thing behind the nut. Anyone do this?

It almost seems like you have to either know what you are doing or have a special nut. I am assuming the former.

Yeah have done that for years! Sometimes it's just a normal pull on top of the string between the tuner spool and the nut and sometimes it's a combination of detuning momentarily then pushing the string down. it's much like barring with your little finger on the top two strings and pulling the next string down one fret up to the pitch of the bar. I first learned it while doing Chet Atkins material along time ago. No special nut needed at all.

I think Doyle is so good he is like God speaking through guitar. To me watching him play is so advanced on every level, as Yze said 'real'. I am not religious but I recognize someone bringing it to another level. I mean not even guitar wise, musically. He can bring it to a level that makes the guitar into an orchestra.

Not to start a religious argument cuz Doyle is Christian and you guys know I am not (though I agree on certain points), I was just recognizing this from admiring his playing and having a strong belief in the God of my understanding. He told some really inspiring stories when I saw him. Anything he says I think about because he is so much better than me at guitar and music. I would love to take a lesson from him. I bet it would be mind blowing.

With a player like him, I am baffled. I don't know where to start to become that good. He makes you question whether you are even meant to play guitar. I mean what if I would have been a frisbee champion or something instead?

Archived