Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Living Colour is Back !

Tone Taster

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good CD, but it hasn't taken off like I'd hoped. I don't really care, though; the real value comes in when one sees their concerts. I love it when Corey Glover and Vernon Reid trade silly jokes before songs. :D

Between them, they're all quite busy, anyhow. Bassist Doug Wimbish is in EVERYTHING, and Reid's always experimenting with something.

I have always marvelled at how little respect Vernon Reid gets. Have seen him live many times, and have always been blown away by his ability, and by the way he can take the music so "outside" and also play great licks and riffs that really connect with people. A lot of the negative comments he gets seem to be that he is sloppy - well, he's not an "every hair in place" kind of player, nor does he have to be. He does his own thing, guess it's not everyone's cup of tea or whatever. BTW, he's also a genuinely nice guy.

Steve

"And the guitar players look damaged

They've been outcasts all their lives"

-Jagger/Richards-

Glad to hear that they are back. "Vivid" is an excellent album. Its still refreshing to listen to because it sounds like them, not like every other freaking song on the radio today (or like everything on the radio back then). I will have the check out the new record.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I drove 5 hours last December to see them, and saw the best concert of the 10 I saw in 2005. I've been a fan since the first release of Vivid back in 1988. Vernon's solo stuff is sick. Anybody that says his work is "sloppy" is just jealous of the man's genuis.

Everybody in this lineup is polished to the 'enth degree at their craft. Will and Doug are without question two of the best at their respective instrument, yet they get no glory. Even Corey's vocals are under rated. I've seen them perform live 3 times, and was blown away each time by Corey's vocal endurance and strength.

I've met Vernon as well, and can vouch for Sixwasnine...the guy's so polite and personal it's almost sickening. My son also spent a day in clininc with Will Calhoun, and said the same about him.

I said back when I first heard them in 1988 that they were ahead of their time both musically, AND, politically, which proved to be true.

Support these guys. They're GREAT musicians, and more importantly, they're damn nice guys. I hope their upcoming new release goes triple platinum.

Kerry

There was an earlier thread on that release, I picked it up a while ago from reading the news. Track #2 is outrageous. A friend of mine saw them open for King Crimson and said they totally ruled the evening.

Having said that, I did make a comment a while back about what the band would be like with Tony MacAlpine instead of Vernon. That`s not to say I don`t like them now, just `what if` speculation.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by Greg B.:

Glad to hear that they are back. "Vivid" is an excellent album. Its still refreshing to listen to because it sounds like them, not like every other freaking song on the radio today (or like everything on the radio back then). I will have the check out the new record.

I dunno. Other than "Cult of Personality", the Vivid record was entirely too pop-metal for my tastes. Time's Up was a far superior record.

Ah, Cult Of Personality. I had just arrived at Fort Carson, Colorado from Germany in 1989 and this song was played on the Colorado Springs rock station all the time(KILO maybe). It was a cool song then, and still is today. Just sitting here at work thinking back. Is that song 17 years old? My, where did the last 20 years go?

Archived